Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old May 5, 2004, 09:46 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Microsoft announces Janus: Apple not worried

Category: Microsoft
Link: Microsoft announces Janus: Apple not worried
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old May 5, 2004, 09:53 AM   #2
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.

JRun closed connection.
Just me?
Old May 5, 2004, 09:56 AM   #3
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
no, not just you - same for me over here on the other side of the pond...

D
Old May 5, 2004, 10:00 AM   #4
stoid
macrumors 68040

The problem with Janus taking off is that the Recording Industry has to continue to support a store after they make the change to this new DRM, and the chances of that happening are roughly nil.

BTW, Janus is a DRM technology that allows people to take their rented music on the go.
stoid is offline   0
Old May 5, 2004, 10:05 AM   #5
g30ffr3y
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to g30ffr3y
i dont see a point to "renting" music...

the title of this thread is a gas...

M$ introduces janus... apple=not worried...

hehehe...

01.29.04 begin
01.29.07 engage
05.17.08 forever
g30ffr3y is offline   0
Old May 5, 2004, 11:03 AM   #6
the_mole1314
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to the_mole1314
Renting music with Janus is stupid, but renting movies with Janus, well, that's a whole 'nother topic! I think Janus will succede ONLY with movies, and that'll be a small niche audience.
Old May 5, 2004, 11:43 AM   #7
shamino
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mole1314
Renting music with Janus is stupid, but renting movies with Janus, well, that's a whole 'nother topic! I think Janus will succede ONLY with movies, and that'll be a small niche audience.
It won't work with movies either. It's been tried.

You may remember DivX. It was a DVD-rental system before it was an internet codec. The idea was that you'd buy a DivX DVD at a store (I think only Circuit City bought in to the concept) for $5. You could play it for a few days (starting from your first play). After that, you'd have to pay again to get more time on the disc. Paying a larger amount (like $30) would unlock the disc permanently.

This system died miserably. Nobody bought the DivX players and nobody bought the DivX movies.

While you might argue that a "monthly flat-fee subscription to be able to play all your movies" would be more economical, I think the market will still balk at it. Especially when you can get non-rental movies at Wal*Mart for $10-20. (You can guarantee that these systems won't be charging much less than $10 for their movies.)

And if you decide to switch from locked-out DVDs to downloaded movies, the problem gets even worse. Because you now have to take all the time to download the movie as well.

A full DVD is about 9GB. A VCD (much lower quality than DVD) holding a 2-hour movie is about 1.4GB (2 700M discs.) Assuming you can get a solid 150K/s download rate (which is not typical), it will take 17 hours to download a DVD (although the VCD will only take 16 minutes, which isn't too bad.) If your download rate is more like 50K/s (more typical when downloading from a popular server), we're now looking at 45 minutes to download the VCD or 51 hours (that's over 2 days) for the DVD. And if anybody is dumb enough to download this over dial-up, we're talking a minimum of 7.5 hours for the VCD or 21 days for the DVD - which is pointless.

Broadband (and the servers that provide content, and the network in between) is going to have to get an order of magnitude more bandwidth before downloaded movies (with or without rental) becomes a commercial reality.
shamino is offline   0
Old May 5, 2004, 11:48 AM   #8
shamino
macrumors 68040

They're both right

As Jobs said, the marketplace doesn't want rented music. The record labels don't like it (because they are committed to supporting one particular DRM forever) and the customers don't like it (because their paid-for music collection can expire.)

But Microsoft isn't selling to them. Microsoft isn't selling music at all. They are providing technology that others may wish to use for their music sales. There are several services that currently provide music rental (like Real). Microsoft is selling Janus to them.

It's just like a broker. He doesn't care if his customers make or lose money - he's getting paid his commission either way. And unlike a broker, Microsoft isn't worried about customers going to a competitor, because they are a monopoly.
shamino is offline   0
Old May 5, 2004, 01:18 PM   #9
Stella
macrumors 603

Strange...

Music companies are afraid of iTunes domination... but they don't care about DRM domination by MS.

MS are far more likely to screw you than Apple... at least Apple (iTunes) is multiplatform, MS won't port janus...
Old May 5, 2004, 02:35 PM   #10
nagromme
macrumors G5

if I want a flat rate for all my movies, I'll go with NetFlix. Huge selection, easy to use, and they are the same DVDs you get down the street: they play on your plain old DVD player, with Special Features and everything. No special M$ hardware needed, no downloads.

And at 51 hours a download (surely M$ will use worse compression for faster times!) it would be faster to use NetFlix too
nagromme is offline   0
Old May 5, 2004, 04:57 PM   #11
Macco
macrumors regular

From http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-...e=1&word=janus

Quote:
1. Janus -- ((Roman mythology) the Roman god of doorways and passages; is depicted with two faces on opposite sides of his head)
A two-faced god... how appropriate for a company like Microsoft.
"Whereas Apple is indeed planning to continue its 'controlled, methodical expansion' through the end of next year, the first half of 2005 will see a switch to a 'haphazard, higgledy-piggledy expansion,' followed by two weeks of a 'mellow, nougat-filled expansion,' then three to five minutes of a 'frenzied, cactus-colored contraction,' and finally a thousand-year era of 'perfect Zen retail balance' and 'free Enlightenment to the first billion customers.' "
- As the Apple Turns, regarding Apple Store expansion (8/7/03)
Macco is offline   0
Old May 5, 2004, 08:59 PM   #12
dukemeiser
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to dukemeiser Send a message via Yahoo to dukemeiser
I've already got enough monthly bills. I can't imagine anybody who would want another one so they can keep playing their favorite music.
dukemeiser is offline   0
Old May 5, 2004, 09:23 PM   #13
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Why does this not surprise me one bit? I fully expected Apple not to be concerned with Janus when I posted in an earlier MacBytes thread regarding this very subject. It seems I was right. Look here for my earlier post (it's #2).

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion