Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the villain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2009
So i have read about ever forum post and reply about upgrading a power mac g5 processor. I know its not possible how ever my question is, if you upgrade the logic board then would you be able to upgrade the processor too?

the reason I am asking is be cause a co-worker of mine has a Power Mac with a blown logic board. Apple wants over a $1,000 to replace it but for that price I have found a faster logic board and faster processors.

300D

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2009
Tulsa
A case is a case. You can put whatever logicboard and CPU combo will fit. If you don't have a thermal calibration CD then changing CPUs, or even switching sockets, will make all the fans stay at full speed.

The truth is, its far cheaper to buy a good G5 in the speed you want from the start.

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
You would need to get the matching logic board for this to work. Changing anything in the G5 requires "factory" recalibration of the system sensors / fans. Only Apple techs had these CDs to do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.