Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henry four

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2009
I bought with an official Apple dealer the new i Pod Shuffle (generation 3) to use during my bike rides. After the first ride the remote control stopped working and the voice over feature spontaneously started repeating the songs title. As well the volume control stopped working altogether. I didn't have time to return the Shuffle after only a week so I disable the voice over feature and keep on using my Shuffle with no volume adjustment, fast forward etc ….
After a visit to the Apple website I saw that several owners complained about this problem and assumed Apple would know about it and be ready to offer a fast solution. So picked an official Service Center as close as possible from my location.
First shock the Service Center was dirty, the paint obviously several decades old and faded, the light kept to the minimum.
Second shock not Tech on duty to check something as simple as a headsets. I realized there was no way to have a fast resolution to my problem. The Shuffle will be send to a regional repair center, I could have save the trip and just go to an Apple dealer. What the use to have Service Centers if they don't provide service?
Now when a product is returned, after 25 days of ownership (can't say use), a product designed by a company with the reputation of Apple you expect some kind of sign that the company is sorry, stands behind it's product and will do all possible to solve the problem. WRONG.
Third shock. The person who took my Shuffle obviously never saw a Shuffle generation 3 before or even knew it existed. She explained over and over that I may (but it sounded more like I will) be charge for the repair. Even asked me to pay upfront a basic fee to cover the time of a Tech checking on the product. And that the Tech will give me a quote if I am to be charged. Furthermore She found tons of reasons why eventually I would be charged to repair the product, however no technical person ever checked on the product. Well I guess only users read messages on Apple website not employees of Apple.
So what now? I am suppose to receive an E-mail in 24 hours to 5 working days, in which I'll be explained the result of the Tech investigation.
I guess most owners of Apple products have a better experience with the Customer Service or where the reputation of Apple being a “cool” company comes from? But based on my experience it looks like Apple's products and Apple's Customer Service may not meet Apple's reputation or customer's expectations. Or am I asking for too much?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.