Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

becky280

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
So my internet is a complete failure as some of you may have discovered from my previous board. I was frustrated today and tried tinkering around witht he network preferences. Beforehand I had taken the advice given to me on my last board, and that was to create a new network thing and just not use it, and somehow this would improve my connection.

Well, that random thing I created keeps dancing up to the top of the list and trying to connect itself, and the message says "Home does not have an IP address and cannot connect to the internet." But my airport one, the one that is supposed to work now says "Airport has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet."

I hate this piece of **** computer and I have since the day I got it. Do you think I will still be able to return it after a month of use? Can I return it just based off of my dissatisfaction with the internet quality? I'm sick of even looking at this damn computer, I'm so frustrated. Can I just return to the store and ask them to give me a PC of equal price in its place?!!? Thanks!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
It must be some ugly piece?

Maybe you're just handling the internet connection wrong.

A self-assigned IP is what it says: an IP the Operating System has assigned to itself via DHCP (there are some search engines you can use) to communicate with your wireless router.

The best way to handle your internet connection is to create a Location for your home, work and any other place you might visit with your computer, if it is portable.

Then you select the type of connection (Airport or Ethernet or even PPPoE) and go to Advanced and under the TCP/IP tab set the IPv4 configuration to Manually.

Then you give it a static IP (one, that doesn't change), a Subnet Mask (most likely 255.255.255.0) and a Router Address like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or 192.168. 2.1 (you have to find out first by looking at the TCP/IP tab when you have a successful connection).

Also the world wide wet has some guides to offer for setting up an internet connection with Mac OS X, depending on your hardware.

Below are two graphical examples (where the Comcast modem and the iMac are stand-ins for a modem and a Mac).

3546164910_5fdb107133_b.jpg

3546163438_0e30638fa8_o.jpg

PS: some routers are not working properly with Macintosh computers, like some Belkin for example.

I know a lot of people aren't that tech savvy, but a little research for using a new tool (not toy) doesn't harm anyone.

Or was that just trolling?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.