Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blizzardnorth

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Hello,

I'm currently in the market for some computer speakers for my aluminum macbook.

Basically looking for the best pair of 2.1 speakers for under $200.

I been eyeing up the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks II and Logitech Z-2300.

One thing that kinda amazes me is that there have really been no updates to either of these sets of computer speakers.

I really like the look of the soundsticks.

What do you guys recommend?

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I'd recommend trying to find a pair of Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's. Not stylish, but much better sounding...

If one wanted more stylish options, the Altec Lansing FX6021

Superman07

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I'd recommend trying to find a pair of Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's. Not stylish, but much better sounding...

If one wanted more stylish options, the Altec Lansing FX6021

+1 If I needed a new pair of 2.1 computer speakers I would get these. However, I was at Best Buy this past weekend (trying to stop, but there was an item I wanted on sale) and I did not see them - I assume Klipsch still makes them. Perhaps they don't, but you can still find a pair - Amazon has them for $160 through resellers.

blizzardnorth

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Did a little thinking over the past week about computer speakers and was now wondering how the Bose Companion 3 series 2 compares to soundsticks. Also, how are these Altec Lansing speakers that you guys are recommending?

I haven't been able to find the altec lansing fx6021 for under $240.

I looked into the Bose companion 5 a little bit, but since they hook up via usb, they wouldn't work with my ps3.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Did a little thinking over the past week about computer speakers and was now wondering how the Bose Companion 3 series 2 compares to soundsticks. Also, how are these Altec Lansing speakers that you guys are recommending?
The Altec's are absolutely amazing, the Apple store usually carries both. If I had to go back to computer speakers, outside of a pair of Swans; I'd go with the Altec Lansings.

I haven't been able to find the altec lansing fx6021 for under $240.
Try Here. Also, they occasionally go on sale, just check Amazon.

I looked into the Bose companion 5 a little bit, but since they hook up via usb, they wouldn't work with my ps3.
Still... Don't forget the Klipsch...

MacBook.Matt

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
I am in the same position you are in. After seeing CNET's review of the logitechs, I have been interested in those only I can't find out whether or not they connect to your macbook via headphone jack and nothing else. (as if this is the case, I can then hook my xbox up to my monitor via hdmi, and plug the speaker jack into the monitor and walaa).

The soundsticks look incredible, however they can attract fingerprint smudges and sometimes look bad from certain angles.

The Klipsch Promedia's are out of stock everywhere...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.