Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Techy66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Can someone tell me what format the MAC uses for external hard drives? I have a drive that is NTFS on the PC and i can read it on the MAC but can not write to it.
Thanks

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
That's normal behavior - OS-X can read, but not write to NTFS. It can read/write FAT32 (and, of course, Mac OS Extended (journaled)).

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
You can use macfuse with the ntfs plugin.

Or the OP can... ;)

The only physical NTFS partition I have is the BootCamp partition. If I need to write something to it (which, I normally don't - I only run a single app in BootCamp), I probably would just boot it in Parallels and drag stuff to it. My other Windows machines are VM only (Win7, XP, and Win2K), so drag and drop with Parallels (or share, as required).

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
Can someone tell me what format the MAC uses for external hard drives? I have a drive that is NTFS on the PC and i can read it on the MAC but can not write to it.
Thanks

Macs use whatever format you tell them to when you format it. As others have said, OSX by itself cannot write to NTFS drives.
Get something like Paragon NTFS for Mac and you can read/write seamlessly.

Short of that, just use FAT32 drives and you won't have a problem!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.