Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 27, 2009, 02:51 PM   #1
CoolKat
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
I can't get my mouse to work with this emac.

I got an eMac (short for educational Mac) from a friend. It is one of thesehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMac in case you want to know exactly. Anyway, I wanted to try to get some function out of it seeing as I'm a Linux guy and a windows guy, Apple is something new to play with.

My mouse no longer works with the Mac and I don't know why and for the life of me with all my experience with Win. and Linux I can't fix it. I have two that I've tried, both of them were Microsoft mouses that had worked previously but then one day they stopped. I can move around with the keyboard but the mouse is a no go. Does anyone know what I might have done to screw up a perfectly functioning mouse? I know they are connected correctly because when I plug it into the USB port the laser light comes on, problem is the cursor in the screen doesn't move. I'd appreciate any help.
CoolKat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 02:56 PM   #2
adrianblaine
macrumors 65816
 
adrianblaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pasadena, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolKat View Post
I know they are connected correctly because when I plug it into the USB port the laser light comes on, problem is the cursor in the screen doesn't move. I'd appreciate any help.
From what I understand, a USB port can break down in such a way that it can still provide power, but the communication of data between device and machine can stop. Have you tried switching USB ports like using the one the keyboard is plugged into?
__________________
“Maybe we can show government how to operate better as a result of better architecture”
~Frank Lloyd Wright
adrianblaine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 02:59 PM   #3
CoolKat
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianblaine View Post
From what I understand, a USB port can break down in such a way that it can still provide power, but the communication of data between device and machine can stop. Have you tried switching USB ports like using the one the keyboard is plugged into?
Thank you for your fast response!

Yes I have tried that already, the eMac has 3 USB ports and the Apple Keyboard itself has 2, all of which give me a light on both mouses and none of which allow the mouse to work.

What I don't understand is everything was working perfectly and I left the thing on all night, when I woke up the mouse no longer was working.
CoolKat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 09:52 PM   #4
CoolKat
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
bump
CoolKat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 10:00 PM   #5
Tomorrow
macrumors 603
 
Tomorrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Always a day away
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolKat View Post
Yes I have tried that already, the eMac has 3 USB ports and the Apple Keyboard itself has 2, all of which give me a light on both mouses and none of which allow the mouse to work.
I had this happen with a PC once - USB ports would still provide power but the data link was "broken." Keep in mind that one USB controller on the motherboard provides both power and data pipes to multiple USB ports; if that controller goes bad, all of its ports go bad.

I don't know whether the eMac has multiple ports - I found a workaround on my old PC by plugging USB devices into the back of the computer rather than in the front.

Also, is it just the mouse that won't work, or is it everything you plug into a USB port?

Good luck!
__________________
I would scream just to be heard, as if yelling at the stars - I was bleeding just to feel.
You would never say a word, kept me reaching in the dark - always something to conceal.
Tomorrow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 12:02 AM   #6
CoolKat
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
I had this happen with a PC once - USB ports would still provide power but the data link was "broken." Keep in mind that one USB controller on the motherboard provides both power and data pipes to multiple USB ports; if that controller goes bad, all of its ports go bad.

I don't know whether the eMac has multiple ports - I found a workaround on my old PC by plugging USB devices into the back of the computer rather than in the front.

Also, is it just the mouse that won't work, or is it everything you plug into a USB port?

Good luck!
Well there are only 3 USB's on the side and the keyboard works in one of those. If the USB's arent working then it would be extremely unlucky to have 2 ports on the computer go out and the 2 others on the keyboard itself go out.

I wonder if it is the update I tried to do before going to bed. It didnt go through because I dont have the system password, which is another issue entirely.
CoolKat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 09:38 AM   #7
Tomorrow
macrumors 603
 
Tomorrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Always a day away
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolKat View Post
Well there are only 3 USB's on the side and the keyboard works in one of those. If the USB's arent working then it would be extremely unlucky to have 2 ports on the computer go out and the 2 others on the keyboard itself go out.

I wonder if it is the update I tried to do before going to bed. It didnt go through because I dont have the system password, which is another issue entirely.
Could the problem be the mouse, or mouse drivers? Have you tried any other USB devices in those ports?
__________________
I would scream just to be heard, as if yelling at the stars - I was bleeding just to feel.
You would never say a word, kept me reaching in the dark - always something to conceal.
Tomorrow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 03:13 PM   #8
HBOC
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PDX
i would download intellipoint for the appropriate mouse that you have. I have a netbook Bluetooth MS 5000 mouse that i couldn't get to operate correctly (the side button would open folder/create new folders, etc) and finally found the correct intellipoint driver to download and all is fine. If that doesnt work, than it could be the USB port itself. Have you tried to plug in a jump drive to see if that works?
__________________
500px
dustingentadventures.com
HBOC is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bootcamp, Windows 7, Magic Mouse won't work pgrif Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 4 Nov 15, 2013 04:20 PM
Logitech Anywhere Mouse paired but doesn't work? BluAffiliate OS X Mavericks (10.9) 0 Oct 30, 2013 07:15 PM
Trackpad not working, mouse won't always work craiger902 MacBook Pro 0 Aug 29, 2013 08:13 PM
Magic Mouse - Touch/Gestures Won't Work bobbydd21 Mac Peripherals 1 Aug 1, 2013 10:23 PM
Wireless Mouse doesn't work on resume from sleep...why? kingc0bra MacBook Pro 7 Jan 14, 2013 05:34 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC