Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old May 5, 2004, 10:32 PM   #1
sir42
macrumors 6502

trouble importing vcards from Outlook

Well, I finally made the switch and I received my brand new iBook just the other day. The setup seems to be going smoothly, but I'm having trouble importing my vcards from Outlook on my old machine (Windows 98) to Mail. I don't have a cd-rom on the PC, but I do have .mac. I tried copying my contacts into the .mac folder on the PC, and I tried e-mailing the vcards to myself. Each time, I wind up with .msg's on the mac side. I have a feeling I'm missing something. Can anyone offer any words of wisdom? Thanks!
sir42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2004, 11:29 PM   #2
Frisco
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir42
Well, I finally made the switch and I received my brand new iBook just the other day. The setup seems to be going smoothly, but I'm having trouble importing my vcards from Outlook on my old machine (Windows 98) to Mail. I don't have a cd-rom on the PC, but I do have .mac. I tried copying my contacts into the .mac folder on the PC, and I tried e-mailing the vcards to myself. Each time, I wind up with .msg's on the mac side. I have a feeling I'm missing something. Can anyone offer any words of wisdom? Thanks!
You need to export your vCards that contains all the addresses you want to transfer. You can't simply copy them. I believe you should export them all as a single file. You can also use export using a LDIF file if Outlook supports that.

You are going to import into Address Book, not Mail. Mail uses Address Book for it's Contacts. Open Address Book, then choose File > Import. Choose vCard and select the vCards you want to import, or choose LDIF, and select an LDIF file to import.
Old May 5, 2004, 11:59 PM   #3
Horrortaxi
macrumors 68020

vCards are the standard, but since when does Microsoft play by the rules? Go and download Outpod which will let you make your Outlook contacts into vCard. You will end up with all your contacts in 1 vCard--you get that onto your Mac and drop it into Address Book.
Horrortaxi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2004, 09:09 AM   #4
sir42
macrumors 6502

I downloaded outpod and it worked like a charm. Thanks!
sir42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 12:48 PM   #5
Haouka
macrumors newbie

it's so easy

Indeed, very good solution for a problem I had couldnt solve (I tried using Excel, I used my Palm as "bridge", ...)

Thanks a lot
Haouka is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store