Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajumbaje

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
VA
I ran into a college bookstore today and they had 160 gb classics on clearance for 250 brand new. Im probably gonna top 100 gb of music soon.

Also, one thing is that Ive been surfing these forums and there is an apparent problem with song pausing on 320kbps + bitrate and pausing on the 160 gb, most of my favorite artists I converted to lossless along with my favorite songs playlists

Im wondering if there has been anything mentioned(mostly rumors, we all know how apple works) of a larger storage ipod classic. If there is a high chance of something coming out in september, then I'll wait until then, but if its pretty much hopeless, ill probably bite the bullet and try to order that online.

Also, how is the battery life on the 160 gb? Ive got a 60 gb white video from spring 06

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
there's all kind of talk. but the problem is that it's 99% rumors with 1% of inside info. And we never know what falls into the 99% category or the 1% category until after the fact.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Im wondering if there has been anything mentioned(mostly rumors, we all know how apple works) of a larger storage ipod classic. If there is a high chance of something coming out in september, then I'll wait until then, but if its pretty much hopeless, ill probably bite the bullet and try to order that online.

The only rumors I've heard are on these forums, mostly based on wishful thinking than anything real. Platter-based iPods are being phased out anyway, and I find the prospect of a larger-capacity iPod to be a very, very long shot.

Zagreus

macrumors member
Why are they phasing out the larger capacity iPod's? I never understood why they took the 160GB Classic's off the market, but all I could rationalise it down to was that they wern't selling very well. I prefer the large capacity ones anyway, since I have so many podcasts I like to have them all in one place rather than having to manually sync them over everyday.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
Why are they phasing out the larger capacity iPod's? I never understood why they took the 160GB Classic's off the market, but all I could rationalise it down to was that they wern't selling very well. I prefer the large capacity ones anyway, since I have so many podcasts I like to have them all in one place rather than having to manually sync them over everyday.

Well they were absolutely massive (my friend has one and the thing is a brick), also if you google around there seemed to be a fair few people having problems with them freezing and skipping. Mostly I just don't think they sold that well.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The iPod classic is designed for people who have a huge music collection - and wish to have it all on one portable device; its impressive battery duration is also worth noting. None of Apple's other iPods come close to offering those specs - the Touch and Nano are excellent products but are aimed at a different market with different needs.

I'm a fan of the classic, but as I travel a lot, have long and sometimes tedious journeys, and am abroad much of the time it meets my requirements. Can't speak with authority about the battery of the 160 GB, but the batteries of the 80Gb and the 120GB (both of which I have) are excellent, and are designed to last the proverbial 24 hours.

Cheers

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
I haven't heard any news of bigger 1.8" 5mm Hard Drives getting bigger which is kinda surprising. You'd have thought they would've reached 160 GB after a year. I think the iPod classic is here to stay just a little bit longer, but if it's going to get a big update or not is an unknown.

I think Apple made a smart move by getting rid of the thicker 160 GBs model though as it is a bit of a niche product compared to the slim model, but I understand there are people out there with huge libraries, video collections etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.