kpark42
macrumors newbie

Best sleeve / shell / protection for Macbook Pro

Last edited by kpark42; Sep 27, 2009 at 03:45 PM. Reason: del
kpark42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 04:01 AM   #2
komiothebeat
macrumors 6502

i recently got a unibody MBP about a month ago i guess, and it's amazing!

anyways i picked up a incase sleeve thing, it's awesome, i am sometimes worried about the zipper making scratches but that is my promary case and havent had any problems with it yet, PS there is a cloth thing inbetween where the MBP sits and the zipper... )komio
komiothebeat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 04:03 AM   #3
o2xygen
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpark42 View Post
Hello,

I just ordered a Macbook Pro and am now looking for the best way to protect it. There seems to be three choices so far:

1) Sleeve
2) Hard case
3) InvisibleSheild

I have a few concerns about the sleeves as some of the reviews on Apple.com seem to suggest that the zipper causes scratches, dents, etc.

I don't really have any concerns about the Hard case except that it may make the laptop fat or make it look ugly.

The invisible shield looks cool but seems to be a PITA to put on and I'm not sure if it will actually give the MBP any protection against anything except scratches.
I wouldnt worry about an invisible shield, I dont treat my alu MB too good and its still scratch free. I use a Gecko neoprone sleeve and dont use a laptop bag, just carry it. Its got lining on the inside of the zipper so it doesnt scratch. Make sure if you do get one, it has some lining on the zipper.
o2xygen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 04:07 AM   #4
rgarjr
macrumors 603

yeah i used to have the incase sleeve and every time i inserted or took out my machine I was always worried about it touching the zipper. When its inside its safe however. I now just have an applesac that i slip in and then it goes into a messenger bag.
rgarjr is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 04:14 AM   #5
Fizzoid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I have a few concerns about the sleeves as some of the reviews on Apple.com seem to suggest that the zipper causes scratches, dents, etc.
No scratches with Tucano's Second Skin range. They have a 'Anti-Slip' system which also covers the front of your Mac protecting it from getting scratched by the zippers.
Fizzoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 04:18 AM   #6
kpark42
macrumors newbie

Last edited by kpark42; Sep 27, 2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old May 28, 2009, 04:40 AM   #7
RasterScan
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to RasterScan
The shields are nice but they are not very thin.

I would stick with a sleeve of some kind.
Old May 28, 2009, 05:16 AM   #8
magamo
macrumors 6502

Been using the Incase Sleeve for a couple months and so far it's great. No scratch or anything. I carry my UMBP around like everyday and am not the kind of person who babies his laptop.
Old May 28, 2009, 06:15 AM   #9
killianb
macrumors regular

I suppose it all depends on what/how you're going to be using it. I have a UMB but I've just ordered a UMBP. I use it mainly on a little table while sat on the sofa -- I'm in a small house and have no room for a desk. However I have pets and young children and don't like to leave it out when not in use. So personally, I'm currently using an Incase zip-up bag which has room for the charger and a few peripherals. However, it's not that sturdy and if I was going to be taking it out much and carrying it around, I think I'd want more protection.

On the other end of the scale, if you do have a desk and it's mainly going to just stay there, I'd just go with one of the clip-on hard case things. I think that's what I'll get for added protecting whilst in a bag.
killianb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 11:09 AM   #10
neilhart
macrumors 6502

I went with this Tucano item. As I recall I purchase it in November and I use it daily; holding up well and the UMBP is still pristine.

Neil
Old May 28, 2009, 11:22 AM   #11
lapino
macrumors regular

I have a Caselogic sleeve (should check , think it is that brand) and my MBP got dented on the corner when I fell off stairs (was in my backpack). After reading this, I realize the dent might've been caused by the zipper. A sleeve is fine, but it doesn't offer much protection when falling etc. Are there any sleeve-size protections that are a hard shell?
lapino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 11:37 AM   #12
Keniff
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

I bought my girlfriend a skin from Here for her MBP.

No zipper (apart from on pouch built right into the front) so the laptop won't get scratched, cushioned and flexible (washable), and tons of colours...

Last edited by Keniff; May 28, 2009 at 11:42 AM.
Keniff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 11:46 AM   #13
dan5.5
macrumors 6502

I highly recommend the second skin sleeve... they are great. If you use a wear a watch when you type, I also recommend the moshi palmgaurd. Most people cant tell that i have a palmgaurd until i tell them.

ENJOY!!!
dan5.5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 11:59 AM   #14
3rdLittlePiggie
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to 3rdLittlePiggie
I bought my girl an incase hardshell for her uMB and I'm planning on getting one for my uMBP when it gets here on June 1st...awesome design, looks great, and really protects, and I love the feel of it! Check it out. http://goincase.com/products/detail/...l-case-cl57186
Old May 28, 2009, 12:02 PM   #15
RKpro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by magamo View Post
Been using the Incase Sleeve for a couple months and so far it's great. No scratch or anything. I carry my UMBP around like everyday and am not the kind of person who babies his laptop.
+1

No scratches, and no uglyness...
Old May 28, 2009, 12:04 PM   #16
kpark42
macrumors newbie

Last edited by kpark42; Sep 27, 2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old May 28, 2009, 12:28 PM   #17
iHateMacs
macrumors 6502a

For my Sony Vaio I have an "old school" laptop bag. I thought nothing of stuffing it in there along with accessories. It was just a tool. Though I wasn't rough with it, I didn't treat it like fine china.

My MBP on the other hand seems to WANT me to take care of it. I treat it like something worth many times it's value. I bought a black incase neoprene sleeve from the Apple store and it's great. It's got a nice lambswool type lining. It won't protect it from anything sharp like my Vaio case would, but it keeps the dust off. Because of the internal design, the moving part of the zip is kept away from the laptop by padding. It's quite clever.

It has no handle on mine and because it's soft it's a little tricky to hold in one hand. It just stretches and you find yourself gripping the top of the case between your thumb and forefinger. It's more of an under your arm type carrying position.

I often use the incase to sit the MBP on to protect it's little bottom.

Last edited by iHateMacs; May 28, 2009 at 12:38 PM.
iHateMacs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 12:28 PM   #18
alphaod
macrumors Core

IF you care a lot, you can make do with all 3

I mean the invisibleSHIELD would prevent scratches from the shell, which would in turn protect against dropped objects. Finally the sleeve for some added padding.

Personally I'd just stick with the sleeve because the skin makes the computer feel cheap, and the shell adds unneeded bulk.
Old May 28, 2009, 12:33 PM   #19
Unprocessed1
macrumors 65816

I'd get all three, but accidents do happen, and nothing can prevent denting. Sleeves are great and pretty much essential though if you ever travel.
Unprocessed1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 01:58 PM   #20
3rdLittlePiggie
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to 3rdLittlePiggie
Quote:
My hands and wrists are always bear, you think it's still a good idea to prevent the palm rest from staining/wearing?

I like the hardshells but some people seem to say that they get scratched from dust/sand etc. that makes it through in between the case and the Macbook. Of course I expect Aluminum to be more durable against scratches, but does your daughter's macbook have any scratches from the case?
I haven't noticed any scratched, as of yet, I have a friend that just got a new uMBP and the hardshell as well, I'll check them out later and let you know.
Old May 28, 2009, 02:32 PM   #21
JCastro
macrumors 6502a

I think that the Invisible Shield kind of cheapens the look. As far as the hard cases goes, I have a friend that has them on a MB and a MBP. It doesn't seem like it would add that much to the size but it really does. I was surprised at just how heavy and big it felt when I picked them up.

Personally I would go for the Skin or sleeve. If you want a sleeve that adds a little more protection look into Booq Bags. Here is a link to their 15" MBP Sleeves.

Last edited by JCastro; May 28, 2009 at 02:41 PM.
JCastro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 03:16 PM   #22
AppleNewton
macrumors 65816

I only have experience with the incase sleeves and speck hardcases.

the incase sleeves on a bare uMBP never got scratched or anything from the zipper or keeping it in a backpack or bag.
theyre handy if you dont have a hardshell case.

the Speck cases are nice and slim..but also durable.
i like them..i got two SeeThru Satin Cases; one for a 17" uMBP and the work uMBP 15" they have nice grip so the computer does not shifting while your typing or working.
never had a scratch or problem removing them or putting them on.
and the heat issue is non-existent...my temps have been realatively moderate or low during normal browsing and light usage.
they do add about a half pound to a pound to the overall weight but they feel sturdy.

Last edited by AppleNewton; May 28, 2009 at 03:28 PM.
AppleNewton is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 05:24 PM   #23
kpark42
macrumors newbie

Last edited by kpark42; Sep 27, 2009 at 03:46 PM. Reason: cleanup
Old May 28, 2009, 05:29 PM   #24
u49aa2
macrumors 6502a

If you have extra cash, consider this website: http://www.vajacases.com/home/home_en.html

I am considering buying something from them for an MBA i am going to buy in the near future.

Last edited by SilentPanda; May 28, 2009 at 06:16 PM. Reason: cleanup
u49aa2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 05:31 PM   #25
kpark42
macrumors newbie

Last edited by kpark42; Sep 27, 2009 at 03:46 PM.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro