Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
18 Android phones, possibly 20 on the market this year according to Andy Rubin, speaking at Google I/O. Even higher if you count all the rogue, Google App-free Android deployments that Google's not aware of. Seeing as how we're already nearly half-way through the year with just a pair of Android handsets on the market (the T-Mobile G1, HTC Magic) and just another -- the Samsung i7500 Galaxy -- officially in the chute, we're going to see a flood of product before year's end. In fact, Rubin claims the releases will come from 8 or 9 manufacturers with faster adoption seen in Europe as US carriers try to "create highly distinctive versions of the Android phone to give themselves an edge." Sure, edge, if that's what you want to call the US cartel of hoops and handcuffs then go right ahead. Interestingly, Rubin also further clarified the three flavors of Android which break down as follows:

* Google-free: Free to download version of Android without Google applications like Gmail or Google Calendar. Access to Android applications is at the whimsical fancy of the manufacturer.
* Strings attached: Same as above but manufacturers sign a distribution agreement with Google and pre-install the Google applications. Of Rubin's possible 20 phones, 12 to 14 fall into this category
* The Google Experience: Phones featuring the Google logo with all Google apps installed and includes unrestricted access (neither the carrier nor handset maker can block applications they find objectionable) to the Android market. 5 or 6 of the 20, Android phone mentioned by Rubin will deliver the full Google Experience as god and Sergey designed it.

Go ahead, blow it out Google, we're ready for it.
Engadget.

The competition is going to be hotting up, a lot. :cool:

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Very interesting indeed. So, when can I load Android on my iPhone?

johnqh

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2008
That is the worst thing which can happen to developers.

Who can get 18 phones for testing?

patrickdunn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
That is the worst thing which can happen to developers.

Why, isn't Android like any other OS, where a program should in most cases work the same across the board?

All of these slick smart phones and their OS's is only a good thing for us consumers.

kdarling

macrumors P6

1) That's what a beta tester community is for. Just as iPhone developers give out their apps to up to 100 users for testing.

2) For super serious developers, there are companies that have every kind of phone known to man, available for remote-controlled testing.

Shouldn't be a major issue in this case, though. Android isn't fragmented as far as basic features yet.

johnqh

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2008
Why, isn't Android like any other OS, where a program should in most cases work the same across the board?

No,

Android is like any other MOBILE PHONE OS, where a program WILL NOT work correctly (unless the developer specifically coded and tested) on phones with different screen resolution, networking capacity, keyboard configuration, camera, accelerometer, digital compass, etc.

FearNo1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
Impressive. One problem they could have is will the display and interfaces amongst the fones be consistent? Or maybe there will be 2 flavors of the OS: one for basic fones with no screen, the other for smart fones. I just wonder can the cell fone market can support so many different OS.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
No,

Android is like any other MOBILE PHONE OS, where a program WILL NOT work correctly (unless the developer specifically coded and tested) on phones with different screen resolution, networking capacity, keyboard configuration, camera, accelerometer, digital compass, etc.
I think you're wrong there.

You don't have to test Apps against hardware. You test it against the OS.

The Dev simply tests against the Android version and can state hardware requirements for elements to work (gps or whatever). They will not need to test per device, that would be crazy.

kdarling

macrumors P6
No,

Right, just like testing against the iPod touch Models 1 and 2, the first iPhone, the second iPhone with GPS and 3G, and the coming one with probable compass, etc.

Yet I doubt many iPhone developers own all those different models. Just simulations. I suspect Android developers will use the same method.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
IMO, they should not market all three "varieties" as "android" because people aren't going to realize what they're getting. If it's different software, acknowledge that in the branding.

patrickdunn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I feel like they over-doing it.

I really dont think its a "they", nor do I feel they are over-doing it. These are different companies that have decided to put the OS on their phones. i.e. Motorola, Samsung and HTC to name a few.

The more phones that the OS is on, the quicker I feel the OS will evolve and become better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.