Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

accumulator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
I thought I'd seek some advice here...

I have a nearly 5-year-old Powerbook G4, 1.3GHz, with 2 512MB RAM modules. I have already once had the motherboard replaced because the machine decided to stop reading one of the memory slots (an Apple Genius took it in for repair out-of-warranty, in spite of the fact that it's outside the serial number range for replacement).

That was 3 years ago. Fast forward to today. Half the memory has gone missing again. I swap the modules - machine sees both. Reboot again, and poof! the module in the same slot disappeared (meaning: memory is OK, slot is bad). :(

OK, it's a 5 year old machine. But this failure is a design defect. I like the MPB, and even though it's feeling a little pokey for some tasks, it works nicely and I don't really want to spring a grand + for a new laptop. Any suggestions?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Well the slot are known to break; the computer is old, so despite it being a defect, it is past it's age.

You can pretty much either replace the motherboard or buy a new computer. If you sell your computer for parts, you may get more.

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
its either keep blowing money on a machine that will be totally unsupported soon, or get a new mac. Of course, you could also buy a referb classic, which is cheaper and it is a familiar design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.