Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timROGERS

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2009

A few times a year, MacRumors partners with MacUpdate to promote their Mac application bundle deal. Their latest bundle delivers at least 11 Mac applications for $49.99 (a $521.71 value if all purchased separately) including:

- TechTool Pro 5 ($98.00) - comprehensive Mac tool to check the health of your RAM, hard drives, repair problems and optimize performance
- Parallels Desktop 4 ($79.99) - virtualization for the Mac that allows you to run Windows alongside Mac OS X.
- Circus Ponies Notebook 3 ($49.95)- an organizer to take notes with audio annotations, track tasks, collate ideas, clippings, photos
- NetBarrier X5 ($49.95)- firewall and intrusion detection software
- DVDRemaster Pro 5 ($49.99)- backup DVDs, convert DVD movies for use on the iPod, iPhone and AppleTV
- Multiplex ($35.00) - DVD management and playback system
- RipIt ($18.99)- Copy DVDs to your hard drive
- MoneyWell ($49.99) - Finance management software with direct connect banking, envelope budgeting, transaction and cash flow management
- Paperless ($44.95) - manage your receipts and document collections
- Posterino ($24.95)- Use your photos to create posters, postcards, photo frames, greeting cards and more.
- BetterZip ($19.95) - better .zip compression management

Bonus Apps for first 20,000 Buyers

- Jets'n'Guns Gold ($29.95) - save the world in this side scrolling shooter
- CuteClips 3 ($15.00) - clipboard manager

This $49.99 bundle sale lasts for two weeks and does not include any "locked" items. All items are available immediately and even includes the two bonus applications for the first 20,000 bundle purchasers.

MacRumors is a promotional partner with MacUpdate. Bundle sales through these links benefit MacRumors financially, and provide a way for readers to directly support this site.

Article Link: 2009 Spring MacUpdate Bundle - 11+ Mac Apps for $49.99

Middling

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
If you were planning on buying 3 or 4 of the apps anyway then it probably is worth it.

I've not yet encountered a bundle where i've had a use for even a single one of the apps.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
In typical bundle fashion, there are a few things I don't need or already have, but... wow, very nice deal if there are a couple of things that you do want from it. Anything over $49.99 such as Parallels makes it worthwhile :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Parallels, DVD Remaster Pro 5 (I paid $50 for that alone), and Rip it make this quite a bundle actually. I use Handbreak but DVD Remaster Pro allows me to create nice backups of my DVDs, something I actually do not know how (or cannot do) in Handbreak.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Circus Ponies Notebook is supposed to be great for taking notes as well
I have seen it recommended highly by college students

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
I've not yet encountered a bundle where i've had a use for even a single one of the apps.

Wow! Not a single app in a single bundle that you can use??? Considering the number of bundles and apps released that's pretty surprising. Do you just use your computer for email and basic internet browsing?

As for me, I like this bundle a lot. I would love it if I hadn't already purchased Notebook a couple of months back when they ran a promo...but I digress. I like the usability of this bundle for the average Mac user. That's something that not all bundles have offered. There are a few apps I have been looking to buy not in this bundle, but hey...other bundles remain on the horizon.

MAC-PRO-DEMON

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Up north in Yorkshire :)
So... I bought it... mainly for Paperless and MultiPlex... but I did it, without trying it... BIG MISTAKE... :mad:

Uh.... DVD Remaster is rubbish... It doesn't work... and requires you to Force Eject the CD after FairMount has crashed... :(

Also.. I already had RipIt... so it's back to that for me... Paperless is rubbish... or at least not very good...

I already had Squirrel (And some Paper) for my Accounts..... TechTool... TechTool... Techtool... Now that is quite a good app... But I know that I'll never use it.. I already have NetBarrier... I already have Together so defeating the need for "Circus Ponies"... Parralles is rubbish... and I already have VMWare Fusion...

I liked MultiPlex to start off with... then realised... WTF is the point.. when Plex is free!! And... Plex is great...

Posterino is just a euphemism for saying that your crap at Quark/InDesign...

I want my money back... email sent to Mac Update...

They say try before you buy.. but.. well.. I should be a lot more inquisitive next time...

:*(

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
I will probably get it when I get home. As others said, Parallels alone is worth that. I'm a bit worried though, since some people have been saying the TechTool Pro dmg file is corrupt and won't install. I hope they get that fixed soon.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
So... I bought it... mainly for Paperless and MultiPlex... but I did it, without trying it... BIG MISTAKE... :mad:

Uh.... In my opinion DVD Remaster is rubbish... It doesn't work... and requires you to Force Eject the CD after FairMount has crashed... :(
I fixed that for you. ;)This app has received tons of accolades and works flawlessly on all of my machines. Sorry to hear that it is rubbish to you. That with Fairmount are fantastic.

This ...

They say try before you buy.. but.. well.. I should be a lot more inquisitive next time...

Would suggest this ...

I want my money back... email sent to Mac Update...

is warrant less.

To each is own. Typically these bundles are only good for a few apps, you as a consumer/buyer must inform yourself and weigh the benefit of each app. If you own 90% of the apps or suitable replacements then buying this app is silly unless the one app you want (Parallels) is $80 and the bundle is $50 making it a good buy all the same. You can resell the other licenses if you wish whereby you will recoup much of your $50 and still have the one app you sought.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
i'm most likely going to buy it. mostly for techtools, rip it, dvd remaster.

on average those bundles are great. many people find that they like two or three apps in the bundle. it's kind of a set of toy's for me. even if i don't use the apps that often. my version of gaming on a computer since i don't like real computer games.

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008

Heeeeey....I thought this post looked familiar...you posted the SAME THING on the MacHeist forums! Your'e lambolover242!!! And your avatar is a sheep!

Sorry, just thought it's be funny to out you in light of the sheep avatar. Your opinions are no less valid.

MAC-PRO-DEMON

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Up north in Yorkshire :)
Heeeeey....I thought this post looked familiar...you posted the SAME THING on the MacHeist forums! Your'e lambolover242!!! And your avatar is a sheep!

Sorry, just thought it's be funny to out you in light of the sheep avatar. Your opinions are no less valid.

I know!!! I just copied the post over from there... saved me a little bit of time!!! And the sheep... In 40 Posts... It will be the same here LOL.. :p

gimpymw

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2009
Parallels, DVD Remaster Pro 5 (I paid $50 for that alone), and Rip it make this quite a bundle actually. I use Handbreak but DVD Remaster Pro allows me to create nice backups of my DVDs, something I actually do not know how (or cannot do) in Handbreak.

Handbrake cannot make DVD copies. It only RIPS DVDs and converts to digital files. I use Mac the Ripper RIP my DVDs and then I create copies with Toast.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Sitting out this time. Bugger though, as I paid full price to upgrade to Parallels 4 just six weeks ago :(

slowpoke

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2007
Bellona
Haha, Jets'n'Guns "Golf"... I can't really recommend that game enough. On top of being a pretty sweet scrolling shooter, it's also got an awesome soundtrack.

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
i will most likely get this just for parallels. parallels runs some games i play alot better than vmware.

sgibson

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
I was about to buy Parallels next week anyway, so that alone makes this one worth it for me.

The rest? Mostly meh, though I have a couple of DVDs that Handbrake won't play nice with, so will be interesting to see if Ripit can take them.

Heard good things about Moneywell too.

Bargain for me, maybe not so much for others.

McShizzel

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Canada
This is one of the better bundles I've seen even though I have some of the software already (DVDRemaster and BetterZip) and I already have a copy of VMware Fusion which I bought last week.

But I still picked it up because the other apps notably Tech Tool Pro and RipIt were on my list of I want apps.

magamo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2009
I was thinking of buying virtualization software. I'm not sure if parallels is better than VMware, but it seems I'd regret if I miss this opportunity. Do I buy this bundle thing? Do I?!

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I just bought this bundle. The main reason why I bought it was for Parallels 4. I was planning on getting that a month ago, but decided to wait. Now, I'm really glad that I did!

The other applications that I will definitely be using are DVDRemaster Pro 5, Multiplex, RipIt, MoneyWell, and Paperless.

What sucks is that I have to wait until I get home from work to use any of them.

I was thinking of buying virtualization software. I'm not sure if parallels is better than VMware, but it seems I'd regret if I miss this opportunity. Do I buy this bundle thing? Do I?!

Buy it! I've used Parallels a bunch and it's awesome. I haven't used Parallels 4 yet, but I will when I get home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.