Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leon.De.La.Rosa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2009
A few days ago I began having trouble with my Mac Pro (Dual Proc. 2.8 Ghtz, 2 GB RAM, DVI display, OS 10.5) It would not wake up after going to sleep. I did the PRAM and SMC resetting thing, and I thought it had worked, but now just two days later, the computer does turn (the bell rings a la Wall-E and everything) but the display remains blank. I plugged the display into a MacBook pro and it worked fine, so I'm guessing the problem is the DVI port. 3 questions arise:

Does anyone know of a sure-fire way to find out if the DVI ports ARE the problem? I did hook up the computer to a Power Mac (G4 running OS 10.4.11) in transfer mode, and the HD did load, I also performed the first aid thing on it and everything came back positive.

Does anyone know if changing the DVI ports is simple enough to do, or should I definitely leave to a professional? (I am fairly familiar with putting stuff in and out of it)

Should I buy the DVI card directly from Mac or can I get by with a less expensive brand?

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps

Leon de la Rosa

mogallin

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
Which graphics card are you using?

I believe i am having the same problems as you are... (using an 8800gt)

:(

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Which display are you using? If its a 23" ACD, then it may be a bad power brick on the display. Are you covered by Apple Care? They let me do a DIY repair on the display (which involved swapping the old power brick for a new one they had sent).

I have a Mac Pro, and the 23" Apple Cinema Display. I had problems that made me think it was the card, then the display, but it ended up being the power brick.

I received the Cinema display first (by a few days), and it seemed to work fine - it was hooked up to a Mac Mini. When the Mac Pro arrived I had issues. The Mac Pro would wake up, but the display stayed black. Or the display would turn off spontaneously. I think I remember that unplugging the power cord on the display and waiting 30 seconds, then plugging it back in was one the troubleshooting steps. This is with the Mac Pro on, but no image on the display. ie, you've heard the "ding" but there is not image displayed. This was, IIRC, the confirming bit that the power brick was faulty. If you have the ACD, do a Google search on ACD problems and you'll get some hits. Specifically, try googling the model # on the power brick. I got a different model power brick from Apple Care.

If its not an ACD, then - I'm sorry I can't help. Good Luck

Leon.De.La.Rosa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2009
Which display are you using?
I'm using a 20'' ACD (that's 20'' real space, does that mean it's really a 23''? not sure)

If its a 23" ACD, then it may be a bad power brick on the display.
By Powerbrick, do you mean the white Power Adapter thing? If the powerbrick were the problem would it no be a problem when hooked up to a laptop too?

I got a different model power brick from Apple Care.
Where's the model #?

If its not an ACD, then - I'm sorry I can't help. Good Luck
Thanks a lot, your did help me very much. I did try unplugging it for 30 secs, and it did turn on, so maybe the problem is what you say.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
The 23" measurement is diagonally, corner to corner, of viewable display. I don't know if the 20" and 23" models have the same problem. The model number is part of the really really small print on the power adapter (the white brick shaped thing that sits between the wall plug and the display). I think it will start with an "A", but could be wrong about that. I had a heck of a time reading it, and would offer to go read my current one, but its under the desk and I would need to unplug it the whole thing to take it out into a bright room to read. Hopefully we can get you sorted before I need to go to that drastic step! :)

If unplugging it resets it, then at least you have a work around while the problem is properly diagnosed and fixed.

Are you covered by Apple Care?

Go to the support forums at Apple.com, there is one specifically for ACDs, and do a search for terms like "power button" or "brick" or "Celtron APP 22-611-0344". That last one is the model number of the OLD power brick that was giving me problems.

Anyway, read through these... if you are covered by Apple Care, call them, refer them to this thread (and specifically the posts that talk about a bad brick). Some people claim that this is a known problem (mention that in your conversation). Ask for a Do It Yourself repair. If they accept, then they will ship you a new power adapter, and you will put your old one in the same box and ship it back with a prepaid shipping sticker they provide. Actually, they shipped the the brick and power cord separately - in two different boxes - to me, but Hey - that's efficiency, eh?!

The reason for this as a starting point is that you get to keep your monitor while this is going on. Swapping the brick may not fix it, but its the easiest thing to try. The next step involves hauling the monitor down to the Apple store, where they may or may not be able to duplicate the issue.

Good Luck

mogallin

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
In case you conclude that it is not the screen, I am, as mentioned, having similar problems:
Screen remaining black while computer boots. It does however boot properly once in a while which makes it so much more annoying.

I have another posted a thread on my problem:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/708376/

I hope it's the display though.

Leon.De.La.Rosa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2009
Quick update

Just to update anyone who might be interested. All signs point to the Graphics card being the problem. Since this is a work-issued computer, I couldn't send it to Applecare and instead had to work with my work tech guys. I am waiting for the purchase of a new card to be authorized since I didn't feel like shelling out the 400 hundred dlls for the card on Mac's website myself.
Just to recap, the card I had the problem with was an ATI Radeon HD 2600, which by the way also seems to have given the same problems to another co-worker of mine.
Thanks to everyone who aided me on this. And I hope this update is of some help to someone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.