Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ikermalli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
Hey all,

Today I was going to go say bye to my mom because she was leaving. I got up from my chair and tried stepping over the cord, but no, my size 13 feet wouldn't let that happen, so my foot snagged the cord, i yelled "NOOO!" then noticed my magsafe had pulled out of the port, and was laying on the ground, my MacBook unharmed. I was so relieved, so now I want to hear your stories.

Thank you :apple:

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
I don't really have any stories per say, but it saves my laptop several times a month. I leave my laptop on the coffee table at night and we have two cats that like to run around the apartment in the middle of the night. Every once and awhile I'll come out in the morning to find the cord unplugged and laying on the floor. I used to always leave my last laptop in a place or position where they wouldn't be able to do that, but with magsafe I just never worry about it anymore.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
MagSafe took a bullet for me during the war. I had to carry him three miles on a shot up leg. We made it to the DZ, but I lost my leg and MagSafe… MagSafe didn't make it.

It's hard to get up, sometimes. But I do it anyways. I do it for MagSafe. I have to live my life, for both of us.

holidaypf

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
Dallas, Texas
I keep the MacBook on the coffee table and three times in the past two months I've snagged the cord with a foot while getting up from the couch. I think I am a little bit more careless though knowing I have that safety feature.

I did this a few times in years past with the old PowerBook too. I always managed to keep from swinging through to total disaster though. The whole contraption got jerked pretty hard though as I recall.

Mr. lax

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
Canada
MagSafe took a bullet for me during the war. I had to carry him three miles on a shot up leg. We made it to the DZ, but I lost my leg and MagSafe… MagSafe didn't make it.

It's hard to get up, sometimes. But I do it anyways. I do it for MagSafe. I have to live my life, for both of us.

MacRumors needs a like button under posts. But anyways, that was really funny

ikermalli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008

Okay, okay, fine poke fun at me. I changed the thread title now. That was a good one though :p

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Never. None of my laptops are ever in a position to break by tripping over the powercord. Mostly because the laptops are kept on the desk and the cable behind it.

tayshon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2009
Philly, PA
All I have to say is "Two Small Kids." I can't even count the number of times, I just close my eyes and say Thank You ;)

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
At least twice. I still remember the first time. I just got my mbp a few days ago. Explained how cool the new laptop was to the family. "look this is a magsafe" and only minutes after that my mother in law (accidently?) tested it.

I was sooo happy it didn't happen to the powerbook.

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
No it's just valuing my electronics. I paid £900 for my MacBook so I'm not going to trail a powercord where people are going to step on it, it's common sense.

I paid a similar price for my MacBook, I am very careful about where the cable goes but I too have got two small kids and things happen in my house that I have little control over! e.g. they jump on you when sitting on the sofa using the Mac.

While I'm not sure if Magsafe has catagorically stopped any damage, I think it's been very useful.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
It saved me once. I was getting ready to leave work so I had to spend the 20 seconds wrapping up the cord around those cumbersome cord brackets on the adapter. I then left work, and a few cars ahead of me two people merged into the same lane and got in an accident. Had it not been for the annoying cord wrapping thingies, it could have been me. And I guess my laptop was also saved from the carnage.

But seriously Apple, could you make the cord brackets a little bigger, the cord is too bulky to fit perfectly on them without spending an hour wrapping it.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon

Most of my laptops worth a damn have docking stations.

Edit: And for situations which might require Magsafe on the move, most of my laptops worth a damn have actually adequate runtime.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Five minutes ago. Laptop on bed, 4-year old darling daughter watching video while I get ready to go out.

See it coming?

Turned around to get something from kitchen. Whoops, tripped over cord. MagSafe comes out, and daughter doesn't even notice something's happened.

And if you thought it was about 4-year old darling daugher breaking laptop, you'd be wrong. She knows one small mistake and it's no more Disney or Pixar videos for her. Treats the laptop like gold :D

Like the posters above am glad she wasn't watching it on my old powerbook which she usually uses.

MagSafe is one of these things that make my PC friends go 'Oooh coool...'

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
I'v never had Magsafe but my PB's power cord has flown out just like magsafe when someone trips over the cord.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I've had a few times where my MacBook would have likely gone crashing down had it not been for the MagSafe connector. However, earlier today I almost took down my MacBook when a book fell, pulling on the ethernet cable which was also attached. Now all I need is a MagSafe ethernet connector and I'd be set.

And, no, wireless wasn't an option at the time since I was connected to a specific, secure network at work which has no wireless access.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
I remember when it came out being piiissed that I'd missed out on that 'cause I was so clumsy (still am, but not as bad). There've been a few 'incidents' with my iBook but so far the cable's either just come out itself, or the iBook's just missed falling off something

Rich3303

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2008
Many times. I went through several of the old style chargers, those things would bend like butter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.