Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greekpaz22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
For all of those who are wondering how they can upgrade from the iPhone 3G to the *new* iPhone in July...I have a plan..

After WWDC, when we will have official word on the new iPhone..port phone number over to Verizon, pay ETF of $125, setup month-to-month contract with Verizon...Sell iPhone 3g on craigslist/ebay for $350..

Then..1 month later (after the period to rescind your cancellation is over and the new iPhone is out)...walk into that Apple store and port your phone number from Verizon to AT&T, pay $299 for the new iPhone..and walk out the door with one damn sexy phone..all for a net of $74 ($350-$299-$125)...

Is there any reason why this could not work?

greekpaz22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Ethics maybe?

What's unethical about it? If AT&T offers you an opportunity to get out of the contract by paying an ETF then what does it matter if you come back to them in a month?
Also..it's AT&T..ethics go out the window with them when they advertise an unlimited data plan and put tons of restrictions on your use of it...

greekpaz22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Sorry, but I work for verizon, and the etf is $175, not $125.

The $125 ETF is for AT&T...the ETF is $175 and reduced by $5/month...$175-($5*10)=$125...

No ETF for Verizon as I would be on a month-to-month...

Does that work?

jmann

macrumors 604
The $125 ETF is for AT&T...the ETF is $175 and reduced by $5/month...$175-($5*10)=$125...

No ETF for Verizon as I would be on a month-to-month...

Does that work?

Sorry you can't do that. Going month to month is considered breaking your contract (because you can cancel at anytime). All post-pay to prepaid conversions are considered a disconnect. You will have to pay the $175 etf.

greekpaz22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Sorry you can't do that. Going month to month is considered breaking your contract (because you can cancel at anytime). All post-pay to prepaid conversions are considered a disconnect. You will have to pay the $175 etf.

Ok..let me try to explain more clearly...Break contract with AT&T by porting my phone number to Verizon (Pay $125 ETF to AT&T). Setup Verizon account as month-to-month as I already have an old Verizon phone (don't need a new one)...When the new iPhone comes out (30 days after I switch to Verizon) switch back to AT&T and get the new iPhone..

Does that make sense?

greekpaz22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Haha..no worries..

Obviously its not the easiest plan to pull off but seems like the most cost effective way to get the new phone..thanks for the input..

If anyone else knows why this would/would not work, please provide some info!

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
For all of those who are wondering how they can upgrade from the iPhone 3G to the *new* iPhone in July...I have a plan..

After WWDC, when we will have official word on the new iPhone..port phone number over to Verizon, pay ETF of $125, setup month-to-month contract with Verizon...Sell iPhone 3g on craigslist/ebay for $350..

Then..1 month later (after the period to rescind your cancellation is over and the new iPhone is out)...walk into that Apple store and port your phone number from Verizon to AT&T, pay $299 for the new iPhone..and walk out the door with one damn sexy phone..all for a net of $74 ($350-$299-$125)...

Do you really believe that companies like AT&T or Verizon, who have thousands of accountants at their disposal, would let someone like you screw them out of their money?

greekpaz22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Do you really believe that companies like AT&T or Verizon, who have thousands of accountants at their disposal, would let someone like you screw them out of their money?

Let's assume that you are right..are you saying that if you were to close your account and pay the agreed ETF to do so that AT&T would not like to have your business back at some point (rather than losing you as a customer forever)?

You talk about AT&T and Verizon not letting a "person like me" screw them over..Verizon is not the problem as it would be a month-to-month account with an old phone (perfectly fine to setup)..the only potential problem could be with at&t...

And I am asking if someone knows of any way that AT&T could block my move...an actual policy that is..not accountants sitting in a back room ;)

cWeems

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2008
FLORIDA, USA
u will have to pay first months bill plus activation fee so whats the point

im eligible 7/12 anyways :D so i really dont care what u do

edit: and another activation fee when u come back to att as a new cust

greekpaz22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
u will have to pay first months bill plus activation fee so whats the point

im eligible 7/12 anyways :D so i really dont care what u do

edit: and another activation fee when u come back to att as a new cust

The one month at Verizon plus the activation fee will be around $85..which is the same as my AT&T bill for the iPhone..so that's a wash..

I will give it to you on the AT&T activation fee of $36...so that would bring the total to $100..not a bad deal for the new iPhone..

edit: also, enjoy your new iPhone (and your much easier way of getting it)..

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Let's assume that you are right..are you saying that if you were to close your account and pay the agreed ETF to do so that AT&T would not like to have your business back at some point (rather than losing you as a customer forever)?

You talk about AT&T and Verizon not letting a "person like me" screw them over..Verizon is not the problem as it would be a month-to-month account with an old phone (perfectly fine to setup)..the only potential problem could be with at&t...

And I am asking if someone knows of any way that AT&T could block my move...an actual policy that is..not accountants sitting in a back room ;)

The best way to know for sure is to call AT&T and see if you can do this. I'm mean the worst they can do is say NO. Let us know what they say.

skwoytek

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2005
The one month at Verizon plus the activation fee will be around $85..which is the same as my AT&T bill for the iPhone..so that's a wash..

I will give it to you on the AT&T activation fee of $36...so that would bring the total to $100..not a bad deal for the new iPhone..

What about the $125 ETF to AT&T? That's $200.

And you still don't get the iPhone for free, so add the $199 of the reduced phone cost.

Maybe I misunderstood something, $400?

Besides, I've read many times that AT&T doesn't clear your account just because you leave. If you come back within six months or a year (can't remember), you're right where you were with your old upgrade eligibility and not eligible for a new phone.

greekpaz22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008

And you still don't get the iPhone for free, so add $199 of the reduced phone cost.

Besides, I've read many times that AT&T doesn't clear your account just because you leave. If you come back within six months or a year (can't remember), you're right where you were with your old upgrade eligibility (and not eligible for a new phone.

As for the cost of the whole thing, read the first post...

As for the six months/year thing..I did not know about that..do you have a link to that info because I have searched for something like that and have not been able to find it..

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If you're going to do the 1 month thing, you're better off returning whatever phone you got with your Verizon contract via buyer's remorse and then port the number back and get a new contract.

Though you can't come back for 180 days (or if you do, they reactivate your old account)—know because I just canceled a line and paid ETF and that's what they told me; also if I reactivate within these 180 days, they return the ETF back to me and the old contract resumes.

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
If you come back within six months or a year (can't remember), you're right where you were with your old upgrade eligibility and not eligible for a new phone.

I think it's a year or it use to be but they may have changeed it.

hitman45400

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2008

And you still don't get the iPhone for free, so add the $199 of the reduced phone cost.

Besides, I've read many times that AT&T doesn't clear your account just because you leave. If you come back within six months or a year (can't remember), you're right where you were with your old upgrade eligibility and not eligible for a new phone.

not always.
a guy i work with bought an iPhone, didn't like it, sold it, went back to ATT and got another, without paying to bigger price. mind, that was with a 1st gen iphone.

Hellion

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
South Florida
Activation fees?? I always got them waived, from Sprint, Tmobile, ATT... I just called them up after I got phone and asked to review bill and then just BS with them about how I was told they waived my activation for some promo. Then argue that, thats what that rep was using as a selling point to a few people who were on edge of getting their service. I know dirty game, but hard times i tell ya!

Then when it's over and they waive the activation fees, I tell them I want my military discount and then they are like you went through all that sir and activation already waived for military. I just love the haggling!

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Or you could do this...

Hypotheticlly let's say the iPhone is announced June 8th to be released July 17th. On July 2nd put your iPhone on Ebay for a 14 day auction, which would have it sell on the 16th and you should get your money by the 17th, take said money to buy a new iPhone, activate it, restore your iPhone 3G, pack it up and ship it.

Problem solved.

josh5183

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2009
This plan seems difficult and requires that you invest a lot of time at the phone companies (which to me is like having my teeth drilled on at the dentist).

Some things to consider:
  • Weeks after the iPhone 3G was released at a $199/$299 price point, I had many friends that easily sold their original iPhone for $400-450 on Ebay.
  • The "discounted upgrade" pricing from AT&T allowed these same friends to purchase the 3G at the same price as a new member ($199/$299) - even though they were only about one year into their AT&T contract. I'm not sure if the new iPhone will offer similar terms, but if you check "upgrade eligibility" on your AT&T wireless account, it specifically says "discounted upgrade" to an iPhone.
  • The MAX you could pay for a new iPhone would be "less than" $499 (for the higher model). On AT&T's website: "If you are not currently upgrade eligible, you may have the option to purchase an early upgrade priced at $399 for 8GB (black) or $499 for 16GB (black or white). Two-year contract required." [This scenario is based on an AT&T user, not eligible for an upgrade (<2 years), and upgrading from a non-iPhone. If you're upgrading from an iPhone to an iPhone, that whole "discounted upgrade" pricing kicks in.]
  • Right now, you can list a used, but good condition 16GB iPhone 3G on Ebay with "buy it now" for $600 and it would sell by the end of the day. (This is because AT&T is out of new iPhones and are selling refurbs.)

With that in mind, my plan is to walk into the Apple store (not AT&T ... the whole dentist ... drilling thing), purchase a new iPhone as a discounted upgrade using my credit card. (My hope is that the discounted upgrade price is $199/299, but even if it's $299/399 ... or $499, I'm still good to go!)

I'll then list my iPhone on Ebay for hopefully $450-550ish and then pay my credit card bill within 30 days to prevent any fees. Depending on the "discounted upgrade" price, I expect to pay little for the new iPhone (if not actually making some money that will go toward a new case).

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Sell iPhone 3g on craigslist/ebay for $350..

<hijack>Buy for early upgrade pricing of $399 plus tax...</hijack>

..all for a net of $78.90

Yeah, that will work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.