Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The news broke yesterday that Palm's anticipated Pre phone will seamlessly sync with iTunes for both Mac and Windows, allowing users to transfer non copy-protected content to the new Palm phone. While there has been speculation on how this had been accomplished, Jon Johansen explains what Palm must have done, and why he believes it won't last.

010040-sync.jpg

According to Johansen, the Palm Pre must be specifically presenting itself as an Apple iPod to trick iTunes into syncing data with it. This is why iTunes displays "Syncing iPod" rather than "Syncing Pre" during the demos.
So how is Palm doing this? It’s pretty simple, really. We’ll start with the most basic question that doesn’t even involve the Pre: To a PC, what’s the difference between an iPod and a Kingston memory stick? The iPod has a specific USB Vendor Id that identifies it as being an Apple product and a USB Product Id that identifies it as being a specific iPod model.
Aside from transmitting Apple-specific Vendor Ids and Product Ids, the Palm Pre must also be responding to custom USB commands sent by iTunes to gather information about the device. Johansen also believes that there will likely be enough differences in the implementation that Apple will be able to break this compatibility with the next iTunes release.

Johansen, of course, is intimately familiar with media/device syncing as he is the co-founder of doubleTwist, a free alternative media syncing application for both Mac and PC. We covered doubleTwist's Mac beta launch back in February. Johansen conveniently points out that they will be offering Pre sync support in doubleTwist.

Article Link: Palm Pre Emulating an iPod to Accomplish iTunes Sync

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
This sounds like some Palm ploy to whine about Apple being unfair because other devices can't interface with iTunes. Apple will come back with "iPods can't dock with Palm Desktop" and Palm will look very stupid.

DougB541

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
I hope Apple don't allow this. :rolleyes:

Surely this must break some patent or law, if anyone else had done this there would be lawsuits left right and centre

yeah, apple will be all over this

1. So are they going to stop this before...or after they were supposidly going to take Palm down for Multi-touch patents?

2. Why would you want this to be stopped? How does it effect you?

DougB541

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
This sounds like some Palm ploy to whine about Apple being unfair because other devices can't interface with iTunes. Apple will come back with "iPods can't dock with Palm Desktop" and Palm will look very stupid.

:rolleyes:

Really?? REALLY?

Palm Desktop is abandoned ware anyway and Apple is NOT going to even think of doing that.

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Apple should let them do it. Until Verizon picks it up- then break them both... right as verizon launches. Just to kick Verizon in the balls.

coolant113

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
New Jersey
there gonna stop it because its patent infringement most likely.. and because the pre is a huge competition to the iphone.. You dont let competition use your stuff to make there product better..
thats like buying a verizon phone and at&t letting verizon use there towers in the spots where verizon doesnt have towers and at&t does.. so why would you buy a at&t phone then?? yea think a little there:apple::apple:

MacDaddy901

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2008
I really don't see why Apple would get upset about this. More devices syncing to iTunes = more iTunes users = more money in Apple's pockets.

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
Apple need to consider their next move carefully. Sure, they could just stop Palm's syncing with iTunes in order to keep it 'iPod exclusive' however doing so may be a little short-sighted.

Such a move would force Palm to release and include their own syncing software, media library, etc... perhaps complete with it's own music store?

If Apple let this slide they potentially gain access to a lot of Palm customers and can leverage that to sell them music/movies/tv shows from the iTunes store.

Apple better do some thinking alright...

DougB541

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
there gonna stop it because its patent infringement most likely.. and because the pre is a huge competition to the iphone.. You dont let competition use your stuff to make there product better..
thats like buying a verizon phone and at&t letting verizon use there towers in the spots where verizon doesnt have towers and at&t does.. so why would you buy a at&t phone then?? yea think a little there:apple::apple:

Have you never heard of roaming agreements?

I roam on Verizon's network on my Sprint phone for free.

MacsomJRR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2003
San Diego
Sounds good to me. I don't think this thing will be an iPhone killer but its nice to have some competition out there pushing the iPhone enginners to take things even further.

PVilleDude

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2009
Should be a fun couple of weeks...

Palm is certainly looking for a fight here. Don't overlook the fact that several members involved in Pre's development are linked to past iPhone/iPod/iTunes development. This sounds like a clear non-compete violation to me, if they knew how to bypass iTunes exclusive syncing.

They certainly aren't being shy about taunting apple with this, though, so they've got their battle plans set.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
I really don't see why Apple would get upset about this. More devices syncing to iTunes = more iTunes users = more money in Apple's pockets.

So wrong. Apple makes money thru hardware sales. iTunes provides a very small revenue for Apple. iTunes exist to drive hardware sales. This has been covered many times over here and SEC reports and analyst ( the smart ones )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.