Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matt459

macrumors member
Original poster
i will be purchasing a 14 inch ibook soon. i am wondering how is the sound from the built in speakers. i will get external ones for at at home, but i am wondering about when i have to take it to other places. also, what since it has no external mic input, dooes apple, or another conmpany make usb microphones.

iBook

macrumors regular
May 3, 2004
On a tugboat
I have the 12-inch iBook G4. The speakers are ok, but they do not deliver rich stereophonic sound by any stretch of the imagination. For that, I'd suggest a nice pair of headphones that you could carry with you.

As for a mic, you should be able to find a USB mic from Griffin or MacAlly. Price, I think, is in the range of $30 to $40. I've seen one in the Apple store, but I can't think of the name right now. And Google isn't cooperating.

Here's the Griffin that Apple sells...

iMic USB Audio Interface - Griffin
$34.95
Griffin Technology's iMic USB audio interface offers an unparalleled level of quality and convenience for audio recording and playback on modern Macintoshes equipped with native USB ports.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
iBook said:
As for a mic, you should be able to find a USB mic from Griffin or MacAlly. Price, I think, is in the range of $30 to $40. I've seen one in the Apple store, but I can't think of the name right now. And Google isn't cooperating.

Also, btw, there is a built-in mic for low fidelity type stuff like chat and games, next to the screen. I'm not sure how much better the iMic type stuff would be for anything requiring real fidelity, like recording music or audio for a movie file or something like that.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
the internal speakers are good... as tiny internal speakers go. as for the microphone, it's excellent IMO. I'd save your money on the iMic, and get a better set of external speakers for @ home. Happy iBooking! (See sig)

sethwerkheiser

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
yea, the iBook speakers are good for system beeps and such, but not much else. I use an old set of HP computer speakers at home, and a set of headphones while on the road.

parrothead

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2003
Edmonds, WA
I agree with the other posters the speakers are ok but not really up to par. For example, my wife and I use her ibook for watching movies while on trips, and the speakers barely put out enough sound to be heard. Actually in some movies, in the quiet scenes we can't hear at all. You will definitely appreciate a pair of headphones, or travel speakers. Benwin is supposedly coming out with some high quality USB powered speakers very soon. I like this idea because you dont have to plug them in or put batteries in them. (I think this is the 4th or 5th time I have posted about them. Let me assure anyone that has noticed I have no connection with that company at all, they just sounded like a cool product. If I ever get my hands on them I will post a review here.) :)

jtown

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
They're good for bleeps and bloops but that's about it. Same with every other laptop. Even the PC laptops that come with brand name "audio systems" still sound like crap as far as I'm concerned. :) You just can't transmit a lot of sound any distance with such small drivers. If you need good portable sound, pack some headphones. I got a decent pair of sony ear buds for $9.99 years ago and they work fine.

As for the Mic, there are several good USB mics to choose from. The ibook does have a built-in mic in the screen but, like the speakers, it's not the greatest. It'll get the job done in a pinch but, if you need high quality, you'll have to pack your own input device.

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
the ibooks i see have had mediocre to decent speakers compared to other laptops
of course no laptop can beat a basic 2.1 $40 system

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
Travel Speakers

I like to listen to music quite a bit while I work, and I found the speakers on my 15" TiBook a bit lacking. I went ahead and bought the Creative TravelSound , and they soudn really, really good, at least for speakers this size. They DO use 4 AA batteries, but I normally use rechargeable NiMH batteries, and they last forever in this things.

I can also use them with my MiniDisck Player when I go on vacation ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.