Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old May 29, 2009, 10:31 AM   #1
pipposanta
macrumors newbie

How can I make a simple game with muliple windows?

hi,
I am trying to understand how can I make something like a text adventure but with buttons, popup menus sliders: more interactively. I don't know if I have to use a normal Cocoa Application with multiple XIB or a Document Based Application. I don't really know the difference between these. Any help is appreciated!!!

Bye
pipposanta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 10:46 AM   #2
GorillaPaws
macrumors 6502a

How much programming experience do you have? Do you know objective-c? Based on your question, it sounds like you might be trying to run before you walk. In that case you might want to take a look at the guides at the top of the macrumors programming forum to help get started. I apologize in advance if my assumption about your level programming knowledge inaccurate.
GorillaPaws is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 10:55 AM   #3
pipposanta
macrumors newbie

I have a basic knowledge of programming principles such as variables, methods, classes but I have difficulties to apply these concepts to Objective-C. I have also done some programming with various languages such as Python and Pygame and many years ago with Pascal. I'm now reading "Cocoa Programming For Mac OS X For Dummies"
pipposanta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 11:42 AM   #4
GorillaPaws
macrumors 6502a

I haven't read that book, and I'm a bit surprised it doesn't cover the differences between a document-based application and a standard Cocoa App. I think the project you're thinking of sounds fun and interesting, but is more complicated than you probably realize, and might be something you want to put on hold until you grow your knowledge/skills.

Just to answer your original question though, for something like a game, you're going to want a standard Cocoa App. The document-based app is designed around the idea of multiple windows that are different instances of the same prototypical document. for example, an image editor, a text editor, a web browser are all designed around the idea of having the ability to have several document windows open. The standard Cocoa app is more like iPhoto, iCal with single-window interfaces (although they can have auxiliary panels and helper windows etc.). That wasn't the most articulate explanation, but hopefully it was enough to explain the difference in general terms.
GorillaPaws is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming