Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AppleInsider reports that Apple has begun internal training of its AppleCare staff to prepare for the deployment of wireless movie and TV downloads in the forthcoming iPhone OS 3.0. The report comes on the heels of a blog entry posted last week showing screenshots of a testing version of the iTunes Store download pages.
Now however, AppleInsider has learned from people familiar with Apple's training program that new self-guided training materials being distributed to familiarize AppleCare agents with the features of iPhone 3.0 software "definitely covered" the ability to directly download movies and TV shows on the device itself, rather than just syncing video content through iTunes.

Those people noted that the advanced training was unique, saying that "Apple never puts out product training this far ahead of a product launch. This training material is roughly 6 weeks early, they said, having arrived in the form of a single training module on Tuesday.
AppleInsider speculates that wireless movie and TV downloads may initially be limited to Wi-Fi due to bandwidth constraints on AT&T's cellular network. Similar restrictions were initially placed on wireless song downloads from the iTunes Store, although Apple expanded availability of the downloads to cellular networks as part of changes announced at Macworld Expo 2009.

Article Link: More Claims of Wireless Movie and TV Downloads to iPhone Surface

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
Definitely gonna happen

This training material is roughly 6 weeks early, they said, having arrived in the form of a single training module on Tuesday.

What does this mean? WWDC is 2 weeks away. Perhaps they know when the new software will go live?

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Wahhhhh Waahhhhhh

Cry me a river, AT&T. Give up the bandwidth nice and slow now ... and nobody gets hurt!

:D

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
that would be sweet, eventually being able to watch any movie whenever you want. If this does ever work using the mobile network, surely it would eat up bandwith.

akira2501

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2008
Wow

movies and tv shows available through the air. Imagine being able to watch tv without any wires attached to it. the marvels of technology. One day songs will travel through the air as well. What a time we live in.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
i strongly reckon we're going to get an iphone HD for movies (something to compete with the omnia)

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
sounds good to me. so this means that the new iphone will be released roughly 6 weeks from now?

They said that the training material arrived 6 weeks early. I'm sure that usually, they train before the release of a product, so my guess would be a release date of July 17.

I'm also guessing that movie and tv downloads will be Wi-Fi only until sometime in 2010 when AT&T upgrades to the HSPA 7.2 Mbps service.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Sounds like apple is finally severing the iPhones reliance to a computer.

This has been a complaint in many other countries, namely Japan, where cell phone users don't own a pc and thus couldn't buy a iPhone.

losx12

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2006
Downloading now live?

Wednesday I redeemed one of the Facebook codes for free music, tv shows etc. on my iPod touch and the tv shows started to download. Once they downloaded they were nowhere to be found on the device but once I synced, it transfered over to my iMac and I was able to re-sync the videos and see them just fine on my iPod. Before, when you redeemed a code, it would say that you should check for purchases on your computer to download the videos.

3576883058_7b80d777ea_o.jpg

russellelly

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2006
Glasgow, UK
Wednesday I redeemed one of the Facebook codes for free music, tv shows etc. on my iPod touch and the tv shows started to download. Once they downloaded they were nowhere to be found on the device but once I synced, it transfered over to my iMac and I was able to re-sync the videos and see them just fine on my iPod. Before, when you redeemed a code, it would say that you should check for purchases on your computer to download the videos.

3576883058_7b80d777ea_o.jpg

Which OS was this on?

I still think whilst the price of TV shows is so high that it's more or less irrelevant. HuLu (BBC iPlayer/4OD et al here) over the air downloads would be massive for the platform.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Surely the 6 weeks bit is the most interesting part of the post. It could mean many different things, not limited to:

a) That is when they expected the release of:
i) OS 3.0
ii) iPhone 3
iii) iPhone 3 and OS 3.0

b) That is when they know the release of: (see above)

c) They are just basing the 6 weeks from the end of June time-frame.

d) They have no idea what they are talking about

e) I have no idea what I am talking about.

Disclaimer: For those of you who are going to jump down my throat and say this has nothing to do with iPhone 3, I just put that in because no one knows anything yet......except Kevin Rose.

hiimamac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Boston
I hope they'll have free content.
This is where zune and palm may win some market share. As states previously, Apple insists you purchase content when others stream flash which means free from hulu and others. The zune also has netflix, which is cheaper. Either way I think apple will have to release free content now. Maybe flash too. Cmon apple, make this iPhone a great media player. Don't cripple it irnrelease novelty software. We love God. :). Thinking positive these days.

Peace.

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Yet again, something that should have been allowed over Wi-Fi from the beginning.

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
AppleInsider speculates that wireless movie and TV downloads may initially be limited to Wi-Fi due to bandwidth constraints on AT&T's cellular network.]

Why is it that AT&T's shoddy 3G network dictates everyones iPhone experience worldwide? Many 3G networks in Europe are fast, the Asian ones like 3 in HK and SoftBank in Japan are blazing. Even in Canada, as much as it cost us, Rogers' HSPA network consistently gets me 2Mbps+ most of the time, even in very populated areas. If AT&T says Slingbox can't have 3G, then there should be a different version of the app for Americans and everyone else can get one with 3G support.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
If AT&T says Slingbox can't have 3G, then there should be a different version of the app for Americans and everyone else can get one with 3G support.
It may not necessarily be due to speed constraints. Other wireless carriers might not want to be responsible for carrying that much bandwidth. Granted, they can probably handle it.
Still, maybe they wanna save that bandwidth for future growth and not us whiny fan girls who want to watch movies on our phone. :rolleyes:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
This internal training must be about 3 seconds long :D

Good thing they have a month to practice up!

Meh, just give the Hulu app for the iPhone.

Once Adobe gets Flash running well on iPhone (getting it running well on Mac would be a start) there is hope! It could be a standalone Hulu app rather than the Web site, therefore not needing Apple to bundle the Flash plugin with Safari. (Flash in mobile Safari doesn't entirely make sense anyway. What's a "mouseover" vs. a drag or click on an iPhone? And I'd disable it to save ad bandwidth and battery life anyway.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.