Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

natatos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
Iowa
Apple support is closed now so I cant contackt them but in teminal I entered
sudo rm -rv ~/.Trash
but at first it seemed normal and then I noticed an icon on my desktop go away then I looked at the terminal and it was deleting the files I worked on it got rid of everything in my documents and desktop and who knows where else but I know it was a lot I had only 75 GB and now I have 120.something I NEED THEM BACK this is really bad I have assignments and other important personal stuff (photos, pictuers I made, music, and so on) also purchased music over probobly $100.00

Even though this is really bad I cant help but laugh at this because I was going to get a backup removable hard drive this weekend

HELP!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: I need this stuff back.

natatos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
Iowa
Did you happen to put your home folder in the trash before doing this?

No I don't think so I've done this command in terminal before and it always worked.

Doesn't that sudo command just move stuff to the trash? Might it be in the Trash Can?

What Os are you running? Is Time Machine an option?

No I dont have a backup storage device I was going to get one soon though I will tomorrow.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
No I don't think so I've done this command in terminal before and it always worked.

Right, that command should only delete the contents of the Trash, unless I am missing something, which is why I was wondering if you or someone else put your home folder in there.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I recommend that you never use the rm command ever again.

Oh, I should also mention that I find it highly unlikely you're going to get everything back using a recovery program. You're probably going to have to reinstall Leopard.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Just out of curiousity, why were you even using this command in the first place? Why empty the trash from the command line in Terminal? Too easy to have something bad happen with the rm command as you have found out. Especially when using ~ anywhere in the rm command.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Next time you want to empty the trash with the rm command, type:

Code:
sudo rm -rvf

with the space after the "f" then drag the items from the trash onto the terminal window, and hit return.

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
If you're gonna use rm in terminal (and *especially* if you're using root/sudo), ALWAYS use the -i flag for interactive mode. That way, it asks Y/N for each file.

It's too easy to do something like rm -rf / path/to/file (notice the first space), and consequently essentially reformat your drive...

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Unfortunately for the OP there is a lot more advice about what 'should have been done' than there is about what can be done now

Wish I had a better solution than Data Rescue II given above, but I don't
I hope you have some success in getting back your files
Sux to lose data

Give us an update if you are able :eek:

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
First off, I did not notice this mentioned, stop using the hard drive with the deleted files! Right now! As you install programs, surf the net or any other activity you are adding temporary and permanent files to your hard drive. Each write to your hard drive can mean one or many files that are lost forever.

Now go and buy a hard drive to install Mac OS X onto and to store your recovered data (assuming you do not have another computer nor hard drive handy and you do not have a Windows partition on your Mac).

I would try Stellar Phoenix for data recovery. If you have a Windows computer or Windows on your Mac try Nucleus Kernel Mac. These are much more thorough programs than Data Rescue II. They do not require a recognizable partition map to function. Although I have had a thorough scan take over a day and several weeks for recovery on a hard drive with a faulty logic board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.