Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdogg707

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Well, I just ordered the new Powerbook and I couldn't be happier, bought it with the following specs:

15.2" Display
1.5GHZ PowerMac G4 w/128MB ATi Mobility 9700
512MB DDR333 SODIMM x 1
Combo Drive
80GB Ultra ATA 100 5400RPM Hard Drive
Backlit Keyboard
Airport Extreme

$1999.00 using the ADC Discount!

I also bought Microsoft Office 2004 Student and Teachers Edition and another 512MB DDR333 SODIMM. I do have some questions though...

- What is a good bag, that is small, but can carry my PB, iPod, and accessories?

- If I add RAM to my system does it void the warranty? If not, what do I do in case I had to send it in for service? Would Apple put my purchased memory in a replacement? Would they throw it out? Do I need to take it out before I send it in?

- This is only my second Apple, and I was wondering how I would go about setting up the MAc to use my networked printer? The printer is an HP that is setup to be shared and has no problems working between my two PC desktops, but I have no idea how to make the PB work with it.

Anyway, thanks for the help and I am extremely excited to get my new laptop. Estimated ship date is 5/11/04 and I got two day shipping.

Apmonia

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2003
1. I have heard that booqbags makes a good bag however, never having used it myself, I can only recommend the PowerSleev from Radtech.us. It is fantastic as long as you already have a bag. I just throw mine in my backpack and go.

2. Take the RAM out. Don't take the chance. I had to send my 600 Mhz iBook in for logic board problems and I took out my 512 stick. I would recommend Crucial for the extra RAM though.

3. How do you the two PC's networked? How is the printer on the network? Are you using a wireless router or a wired router? What OS do you run on the PC's? A lot of questions but one's that needed asking. It should not be too difficult to do so, provided the two PC's are not running WinXP Pro. I have had terrible trouble with WinXP Pro.

I hope it helps,
Apmonia

jdogg707

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Apmonia said:
1. I have heard that booqbags makes a good bag however, never having used it myself, I can only recommend the PowerSleev from Radtech.us. It is fantastic as long as you already have a bag. I just throw mine in my backpack and go.

2. Take the RAM out. Don't take the chance. I had to send my 600 Mhz iBook in for logic board problems and I took out my 512 stick. I would recommend Crucial for the extra RAM though.

3. How do you the two PC's networked? How is the printer on the network? Are you using a wireless router or a wired router? What OS do you run on the PC's? A lot of questions but one's that needed asking. It should not be too difficult to do so, provided the two PC's are not running WinXP Pro. I have had terrible trouble with WinXP Pro.

I hope it helps,
Apmonia

Thanks for the answers. The PC's are networked through a Wireless router, but hooked up via Ethernet. Both PC's have Windows XP Professional. I have the printer hooked up to one PC, then have it selected as being shared. The other PC finds it as a shared printer on the network and does the rest.

Apmonia

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2003
You might have a problem sharing printers and the like with Windows XP Pro. The only experience I have with sharing is expressly files however, I would expect the same problems with sharing printers as well. Hopefully you won't, but it is Windows so you never know. I know they sell wireless print server, but they are around $119.99 retail (I work at Best Buy :( ). That would be another to go though.

Not to jack your thread but when you get your Powerbook (Congrats by the way) could you let me know if it works with your Mac and what the router is? I am in the same type of situation as you, I am looking for a wireless router that will work with both platforms and support sharing a printer between them. Thanks in advance, Apmonia.

jdogg707

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Apmonia said:
You might have a problem sharing printers and the like with Windows XP Pro. The only experience I have with sharing is expressly files however, I would expect the same problems with sharing printers as well. Hopefully you won't, but it is Windows so you never know. I know they sell wireless print server, but they are around $119.99 retail (I work at Best Buy :( ). That would be another to go though.

Not to jack your thread but when you get your Powerbook (Congrats by the way) could you let me know if it works with your Mac and what the router is? I am in the same type of situation as you, I am looking for a wireless router that will work with both platforms and support sharing a printer between them. Thanks in advance, Apmonia.

I'll let you know! Hopefully I can find something online that will show me how to do this, because really don't want to have to buy a wireless print server! Thanks for the helps guys!

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
To solve this problem, I ordered a new wireless printer when I ordered my laptop. :D

Apple has their "Impress for Less" promotion going on right now, and if you purchase an Apple computer and an HP printer at the same time you get $100 mail in rebate.

I ordered the HP Deskjet 5850, which, after the rebate will have cost $99... and it's wireless (uses the 802.11a/airport network). I received the printer already, and it works great (after a small amount of fuss setting it up to work on my network).

(I know, not the answer you're looking for... but may be helpful to someone else reading the thread).

As for bags... this thread on MacNN has a list of companies that sell good bags: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=178702

Congrats on your PowerBook :) I ordered the same configuration as you, and should receive it on Monday!

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
jdogg707 said:
- What is a good bag, that is small, but can carry my PB, iPod, and accessories?

Check out the cases and products from MacCase. They are very stylish and affordable plus provide wonderful protection.

If you want to go for the ultimate bag check out the Spymac brand cases.

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I bought a Brenthaven backpack to carry my 17" Powerbook in. It was expensive, but it just didn't make any sense to me to spend a ton of money on a laptop and then turn around and buy a cheap bag to carry it in. I also bought a Booq sleeve to use it when I need to carry just the laptop around in the office. The Brenthaven sleeve has a hard shell to protect the system which comes in handy when you are on the plane and have to jam your bag under the seat in front of you.

I normally travel a lot and I did not want to advertise I have a laptop in a bag especially when going through the airport. So I bought the backpack. I is really nice to be able to open the backpack from the top to pull my laptop out to go through security. (Don’t let the security people put your laptop on the belt to go through the scanner. They have a really bad habit of banging it around.)

jdogg707

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
I think I might go with one of the MarWare Sleeve's and then get the Brenthaven ProFile 15. Would these be good choices?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.