Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigoranget

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2004
Does anyone know if the original iBook G4 can take more than 640MB of RAM. I noticed that the newer ones now take up to 1.25GB of RAM. The RAM is exactly the same type and i'd assume that the mother board is the same too or at least similar.

I previously owned an blueberry iBook. The Max. RAM in that computer was rated at 160MB of RAM, however I was able to get 288MB of RAM to work. I have also heard that a 512MB stick of RAM works in it as well.

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
If the older iBook took more RAM than was set by Apple chances are that this is the same for the newer ones

I would go for it, especially if the RAM model is the same :)

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
apple listed 640 MB as the max because when the orig. G4 iBook was released, 512 MB was the biggest RAM commonly available.

now that 1 GB memories are becoming common, apple updated the max. for the newer iBooks - but there's nothing preventing your old iBook from accepting the same 1 GB module. it's just documentation - it's not a hardware limitation.

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
Yeah, that always happens as computers get older, and RAM technology gets better. I don't know if Apple would support that, though. But I would wait for a while, until RAM prices come down. 1GB sticks of RAM is still pretty costly, and at least for me, 640 is just fine for normal use. Prices would probably come down as they become more and more common.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.