Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 31, 2009, 01:57 PM   #176
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
nice. i'll be getting the new iphone. can't wait for it!
Old May 31, 2009, 02:00 PM   #177
gibbz
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to gibbz
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRich1G View Post
Gizmodo gets it wrong - just iPhone 3.0 OS Screen Grabs http://www.mrgadget.com.au/gadget/20...-screen-grabs/
Explain the compass app.
gibbz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 02:01 PM   #178
modernmagic
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopticalcube View Post
Besides the usual Boy Scout usefulness, what other applications could we see from the compass?
turn by turn navigation
"yaw" (right now the iphone uses X,Y,Z)

The uses are endless.
modernmagic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 02:12 PM   #179
macbookproFTW!
macrumors newbie

A fake!

The first pic is definitely a photoshop unless the square can rotate on the screen as it doesn't line up with any of the edges of the iphone!
macbookproFTW! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 02:19 PM   #180
App1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemistmuffin View Post
A friend of mine who works at Apple sent me a picture of the new iPhone. However, due to the NDA, I am prohibited to post, or show the picture, but I can explain what it looks. (so you can make mock ups)

Basically, the front is almost identical to the first two generation of iPhone, but with a camera. (which is unnoticeable until a green LED lights up. The camera is the same one used in iSight, so it is very high quality) The back of the new iPhone, well, it's been leaked already so there's no point in me explaining this.

The screen is OLED. At WWDC this year, Apple will announce immediete avalibility of ALL of their Macs, (iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air) with OLED display, making it very environmentally friendly. iPod touch, and iPod classic, and iPod nano will follow this fall.

Apple also made some changes to the location of the headphone jacks and speakers, however, they are deciding on where to put it. To find out, they will be testing out three different design of iPhone. One with headphone jack at the top, and speaker at the bottom (the usual), the Headphone Jack at the bottom, with speaker at top, or the headphone jack at bottom, and speaker the back of the phone (aka, the iPod touch) They will test out comfort of the phone use with headphone, and speakers. The best comfort will be the final design of the phone.
Aren't you the same person who has a friend at Apple who showed him the Me so Holy app? Why would someone who is in app approval have access to the new iPhone. It seems like they are two unrelated areas completely. My thoughts are that you do have a friend in Apple, but he isn't in any of those areas, but you don't feel like you are lying to everybody as much because he actually works there.
App1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 02:30 PM   #181
TSX
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbz View Post
Explain the compass app.
Go to the app store and type in "Compass" and you will get tons of compass apps. Its nothing new.
TSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 02:31 PM   #182
Raineer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0samotech0o View Post
What? In 2012?

I think it's a bit BS.
No one said anything about 2012, but if you think the magnetic poles are not long overdue to invert (again, for about the 20,000th time), you need to take a science class.

Regardless, putting the chip in the phone is just another blade on the swiss army knife. If there's not a high cost associated with it, then you just do it so it's done. It WILL benefit a subset of people and would lure more sales away from other units.

Not everything is for everyone, I couldn't care less about stereo bluetooth...but many are gaga over the addition. I don't waste my time telling those people the feature is worthless simply because I don't use it.

Adding additional sensors into the phone which can be used by developers is NEVER a bad thing, you'd be surprised what people can come up with.

edit: As far as the compass app, I'm surprised more people don't understand the difference. The current compass apps require one to MOVE in order to activate them. If I have your GPS information and you walk 10 feet, I can extrapolate your heading from your new GPS data and give you a direction.

With the added sensor, you only have to TURN, and then I know where you're facing...instantly. Heck, the GPS antenna can even be off for all I care.
Raineer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 02:31 PM   #183
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSX View Post
Go to the app store and type in "Compass" and you will get tons of compass apps. Its nothing new.
can you find the one that's pictured?

arn
arn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 02:40 PM   #184
1Zach1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
They seem to rely on the iPhone moving, or using the sun.
Old May 31, 2009, 02:49 PM   #185
TuffLuffJimmy
macrumors G3

Quote:
a compass that uses the magnetometer is pretty new. A compass that needs you to be moving is not.
Old May 31, 2009, 02:51 PM   #186
App1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raineer View Post
No one said anything about 2012, but if you think the magnetic poles are not long overdue to invert (again, for about the 20,000th time), you need to take a science class.
Yeah i'm always a bit shocked hen someone finds this to be an odd thing when its happened so frequently. With it being so electronic based couldn't a bit of code just be written to correct it?
App1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 03:14 PM   #187
ghettochris
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by App1 View Post
Yeah i'm always a bit shocked hen someone finds this to be an odd thing when its happened so frequently. With it being so electronic based couldn't a bit of code just be written to correct it?
the problem is that between how it is now, and how it will be (inverted), there will be a bunch of years where it is very weak, moving around a whole lot, or not exist at all. I guess as long as it isn't nothing at all frequent updates could figure it out, but if the magnetic pole sticks out of the equator and doesn't rotate with the earth things get tricky. North on the compass would change throughtout the day, or you could be at the north pole at noon, south pole at midnight.

Not to mention humans didn't exist last time the poles flipped and the earth was bombed by heavy radiation. A period of severe evolution/mutation will be upon us. Freaks, probably. X-men, probably not. Living at the south pole april-sept and the north pole oct-march would be your best bet.
ghettochris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 03:16 PM   #188
Treq
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raineer View Post
Yes, the poles will reverse again. Can we predict when? No. When it does, it'll take a thousand years or more for the transition to happen. So, no reason to go out and stock up on canned food and and bottled water.
As a side note, I wonder if it will be able to calculate true north using your position and the latest calculated position of the north pole?

Here is a good link for anyone wanting to read more about magnetic pole reversal.
http://www.geomag.bgs.ac.uk/reversals.html

Last edited by Treq; May 31, 2009 at 03:34 PM.
Treq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 04:35 PM   #189
skwoytek
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
He said one can only take fuzzy snapshots of it, and not clear shots. 'Cuz it's still not officially released. So, in regards to the fuzzy photos below, I apologize!
What kind of crap is that?

skwoytek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 04:55 PM   #190
Mars478
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Mars478 Send a message via MSN to Mars478 Send a message via Skype™ to Mars478
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwoytek View Post

Where did you get that picture??? I haven't seen that one yet!
Old May 31, 2009, 05:17 PM   #191
DELLsFan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
8 days left, whew.
Tell me about it. I hope I'm busy as hell this week so I'm not spending any idle time wondering what to do with the wads of cash burning a hole in my wallet!
Old May 31, 2009, 05:22 PM   #192
hefeglass
macrumors 6502a

lol....now that picture above is going to make front page of macrumors...lol

its just a photoshop someone made to prove how easy it is to make a photoshop depicting the autofocus feature..
hefeglass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 06:21 PM   #193
Nykwil
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

technically with all the rumors about no dramatic changes in the design of the next gen iphone, i can see how it can fit in the old iphone casing.
Old May 31, 2009, 09:05 PM   #194
Minimoose 360
macrumors 65816

SO without all your blabbering. Consensus says that:

This is the new iPhone hardware in a 3G casing?
Or just faked?
Or just a regular old 3G with the 3.0 firm?
Old May 31, 2009, 10:20 PM   #195
alex2016g
macrumors member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefeglass View Post
its just a photoshop someone made to prove how easy it is to make a photoshop depicting the autofocus feature..
well if you look at the code of the picture (just opened the file in the text edit) it has a Hewlett Packard colour scheme, and has no mention of photoshop. and yes i know that doesnt rule it out, but at least it wasnt encoded into jpg on photoshop, and i dnt know any of HP photo editing software (that doesnt meant that there are non...)

code from the pic: (for some reason i couldnt copy the text strait off, so i took a scree shot)

Last edited by alex2016g; May 31, 2009 at 10:38 PM.
alex2016g is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 10:32 PM   #196
jhsfosho
macrumors 6502

any reason the compass can't be added to the next-gen ipod touch as well?
Old May 31, 2009, 11:37 PM   #197
skwoytek
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2016g View Post
well if you look at the code of the picture (just opened the file in the text edit) it has a Hewlett Packard colour scheme, and has no mention of photoshop. and yes i know that doesnt rule it out, but at least it wasnt encoded into jpg on photoshop, and i dnt know any of HP photo editing software (that doesnt meant that there are non...)

That's because the image isn't photoshopped, it's straight of my Canon SD600 camera then resized to 640px width using Preview.

Now on the other hand, the attached image was manipulated using... Apple's Keynote. It was then loaded onto the iPhone and displayed full screen using the Photos app. I still think I should have made the opacity on the auto-focus box just a little lower.

While I give the original photos a 75% chance of being authentic, I was proving to someone that anything, anything can be faked. My grandmother "photoshopped" WWII photos by hand for use in the national newspapers... You know, to lessen the brutality and destruction for us Americans. I have a great collection of before and after photos.
skwoytek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 04:59 AM   #198
hiimamac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
In less than two months? There is such a thing as production, further testing of those new features & distribution time

On another note. Why can't current 3G hardware do video recording?
You can. It's called jail breaking. This is why AT&T wants to reduce rates and cap. That plus teetherung coming. No way to control who teethers so they will cap.

Regarding video. With AT&T having a bad time still with 3G, I have a hard time believing they will have video chat.

Why not give us something that allows to view the other 90% of the webs media content first like MPEG, xvid, hulu and flash. Which of course eats away at iTunes revenue so might never happen until Apples hand held to the fire.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 11:30 AM   #199
branjosef
macrumors 6502a

All I know is he is not wearing his seatbelt in the photo. naughty naughty!

branjosef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 12:01 PM   #200
woodekm
macrumors 6502a

I sure hope all my (5) chargers work on the new model as well.
MacMini - 2.0GHz, -Sammy 24in
woodekm is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion