Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 30, 2009, 09:56 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
'Face Match' Brings Facial Recognition to Your iPhone






iPhone developer PolarBearFarm released Face Match [$0.99] to the App Store yesterday. The app promises to bring the feature similar to Apple's iPhoto facial recognition to your iPhone.
Quote:
Face Match brings face detection and recognition to the iPhone.

Simply take a photo, and Face Match will detect and attempt to recognize people in the photo. Face Match learns every time you name people in a photo, improving recognition accuracy the more you use it.
The app also integrates with Facebook by allowing you to tag photos and upload them directly to Facebook.

The app works by uploading images directly to their server where facial recognition is performed. The results are then sent back to your iPhone. As a result, an internet connection is required for use.

App Store Link: Face Match, $0.99

Article Link: 'Face Match' Brings Facial Recognition to Your iPhone
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 10:03 PM   #2
jmann
macrumors 604
 
jmann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: On a bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
Send a message via Skype™ to jmann
That is dumb. Not even the phone is doing this. It's just sending the photo to some sever. That is a let down IMO.
__________________
Come to my Twitter, it's warm and has chairs.
jmann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 10:12 PM   #3
mikeinternet
macrumors 6502a
 
mikeinternet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oaklnad, CA
Send a message via AIM to mikeinternet
So when apple eventually brings this to the built-in photo app what happens to this company?
mikeinternet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 10:50 PM   #4
Excellerator
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
I could see this with the rumored autofocus on the the new iPhone, but what is the sense with the current models. They don't focus anyway?????
__________________
Windows 8, iPhone 5 32GB, iPad 3 64GB LTE, Apple TV Generation 2
Excellerator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 11:12 PM   #5
notjustjay
macrumors 603
 
notjustjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada, eh?
I'm really not comfortable with the idea of their servers receiving all these photos of people from everywhere. Seems like a potential invasion of privacy, especially if I'm taking your photo without telling you that the pictures are going to some off-site database for further storage and recognition.
__________________
.
notjustjay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 11:27 PM   #6
Polar Bear Farm
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmann View Post
That is dumb. Not even the phone is doing this. It's just sending the photo to some sever. That is a let down IMO.
There are good reasons for having this process happen server side at the moment. Face recognition is an inherently difficult thing to do well, by having this happen server side, we can easily make changes to the recognition system and instantly get feedback on whether these changes are improving recognition success or not.

The plan is to shift everything into the iPhone client and cut the dependence on our webservers, once we're at a point where the recognition system is tuned to it's best.

Layton Duncan
Polar Bear Farm Ltd
Polar Bear Farm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 11:41 PM   #7
Polar Bear Farm
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinternet View Post
So when apple eventually brings this to the built-in photo app what happens to this company?
We've survived so far ;-) We're the first commercial developer for the iPhone, we've exhibited at MacWorld Expo '08 before any iPhone SDK was even released, and again in '09. We were first to provide spotlight style contact and calendar searching on the iPhone in '07, first to bring video recording to the iPhone... We have a range of other products on the App Store so we're well and truly committed to this platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
I'm really not comfortable with the idea of their servers receiving all these photos of people from everywhere. Seems like a potential invasion of privacy, especially if I'm taking your photo without telling you that the pictures are going to some off-site database for further storage and recognition.
As the developer of Face Match we're very clear that any information you upload is private to your own account. Facial features extracted from photos you upload are not used or accessible in anyway by any other user account. Photos are not kept on our servers, once facial features are extracted, the photos themselves are no longer required and are deleted from our servers.

Layton Duncan
Polar Bear Farm Ltd
Polar Bear Farm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 11:53 PM   #8
mikeinternet
macrumors 6502a
 
mikeinternet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oaklnad, CA
Send a message via AIM to mikeinternet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear Farm View Post
We've survived so far ;-) We're the first commercial developer for the iPhone, we've exhibited at MacWorld Expo '08 before any iPhone SDK was even released, and again in '09. We were first to provide spotlight style contact and calendar searching on the iPhone in '07, first to bring video recording to the iPhone... We have a range of other products on the App Store so we're well and truly committed to this platform.

Layton Duncan
Polar Bear Farm Ltd
Respect to your work. Do you take in to account Apples ability to sweep certain ideas out from under you? Apple will always have the resources to better tie in apps to their platform. So when you make a something like a global search or video capture app that will inevitable make to the phone as a built in feature, you must know that it comes with an expiration date.
mikeinternet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 11:54 PM   #9
jmann
macrumors 604
 
jmann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: On a bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
Send a message via Skype™ to jmann
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear Farm View Post
There are good reasons for having this process happen server side at the moment. Face recognition is an inherently difficult thing to do well, by having this happen server side, we can easily make changes to the recognition system and instantly get feedback on whether these changes are improving recognition success or not.

The plan is to shift everything into the iPhone client and cut the dependence on our webservers, once we're at a point where the recognition system is tuned to it's best.

Layton Duncan
Polar Bear Farm Ltd
Nice to know. Thanks for that. It's nice to hear from the developer.
__________________
Come to my Twitter, it's warm and has chairs.
jmann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 12:01 AM   #10
severe
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinternet View Post
Respect to your work. Do you take in to account Apples ability to sweep certain ideas out from under you? Apple will always have the resources to better tie in apps to their platform. So when you make a something like a global search or video capture app that will inevitable make to the phone as a built in feature, you must know that it comes with an expiration date.
New to computers, Mike?

severe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 12:17 AM   #11
mikeinternet
macrumors 6502a
 
mikeinternet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oaklnad, CA
Send a message via AIM to mikeinternet
Quote:
Originally Posted by severe View Post
New to computers, Mike?

Touche.
mikeinternet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 12:49 AM   #12
iphones4evry1
macrumors 65816
 
iphones4evry1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California, USA
Too bad the camera does not have antishake/image-stabilization technology, and more than half of all the pictures I take on my iPhone are blurry. Hopefully the next iPhone will have image stabilization technology.
iphones4evry1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 06:45 AM   #13
RedTomato
macrumors 68040
 
RedTomato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: .. London ..
Looks nice. Will be nice to have my photos tagged with names. (No I don't use facebook, and don't plan to buy the new iLife).

The dev didn't mention that it is on sale for 99c today and tomorrow, and will increase by price by $1/day till final price is reached.

I bought it today.
__________________
This is a signature.
RedTomato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 09:55 AM   #14
Cubert
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear Farm View Post
There are good reasons for having this process happen server side at the moment. Face recognition is an inherently difficult thing to do well, by having this happen server side, we can easily make changes to the recognition system and instantly get feedback on whether these changes are improving recognition success or not.

The plan is to shift everything into the iPhone client and cut the dependence on our webservers, once we're at a point where the recognition system is tuned to it's best.

Layton Duncan
Polar Bear Farm Ltd
I can't believe you are charging only $.99 for this app! This is tremendous technology available for a pittance.
Cubert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 04:06 PM   #15
twoodcc
macrumors P6
 
twoodcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Right side of wrong
Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
seems pretty cool. except that you have to have internet to use it. but better than nothing
__________________
tville
Smarter than the average bear
twoodcc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 08:42 PM   #16
sux2beyou
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2009
So I looked at the other apps by this developer, and it looks like most of them are going to be replaced by the 3.0 update.

Recorder: 3.0 will have a voice recorder come standard
Telegram: 3.0 will have the ability to send voice notes via MMS
Search: 3.0 will have built in search
Note Pad: 3.0 will have the ability to sync notes.


They all look well built, sorry that they look like there going to become obsolete.
Good luck with this Face Match app.
sux2beyou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 06:23 AM   #17
vvebsta
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
very cool...maybe iphone 3.0 will have it built in
vvebsta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 07:48 AM   #18
instaxgirl
macrumors 65816
 
instaxgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Edinburgh, UK
It would be nice if it synced with iPhoto, especially since iPhoto sucks ass at facial recognition
instaxgirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 12:33 PM   #19
citi
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Send a message via AIM to citi Send a message via MSN to citi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sux2beyou View Post
So I looked at the other apps by this developer, and it looks like most of them are going to be replaced by the 3.0 update.

Recorder: 3.0 will have a voice recorder come standard
Telegram: 3.0 will have the ability to send voice notes via MMS
Search: 3.0 will have built in search
Note Pad: 3.0 will have the ability to sync notes.


They all look well built, sorry that they look like there going to become obsolete.
Good luck with this Face Match app.
not everyone is going to update to 3.0. Keep that in mind. People are still running Panther for god sakes!
__________________
Citi
Macbook Pro (15) 2.7 Quad 16gb ram / Macbook Air 1.6 / Mac mini 1.8 4gb / 32gb Ipad Mini Wi-Fi / VeriPhone 6 64gb
citi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 04:28 PM   #20
Polar Bear Farm
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by citi View Post
not everyone is going to update to 3.0. Keep that in mind. People are still running Panther for god sakes!
That and the fact that in our opinion, Apple do a poor job of a lot of those tasks in 3.0
Polar Bear Farm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 05:34 PM   #21
saligh22
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
OS3 is a new thing. It takes time until it becomes a good mature OS
saligh22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 09:18 AM   #22
rebnorman
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Face Match

Is free at the moment in Honor of the Day. Seems worth a try.
rebnorman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:15 PM   #23
genii
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Is it just me or does this thing not work at all, it barely finds the faces let alone recognizes them, shame because its a brilliant idea.
genii is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Supplier Pegatron Uses Facial Recognition to Screen for Underage Workers MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 23 Dec 17, 2013 06:40 PM
Apple Awarded Patent Detailing Facial Detection and Recognition System for Devices MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 64 Dec 4, 2013 04:59 PM
Face Recognition iPhone App Chrislove22 iPhone and iPod touch Apps 1 Feb 11, 2013 10:25 AM
Aperture Facial Recognition Singin Hobo Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Jun 17, 2012 11:52 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC