Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old May 30, 2009, 10:19 PM   #1
iLoveiMacs
macrumors member

I played with my brothers gf's iBook today...

This is my first thread!

Anyways, I've been a Mac user for 2 1/2 years. I'm really fascinated by the Mac, and I've converted just about every member of my household. My brother's girlfriend (one of my "victims") showed me her 800 MHz iBook G3 that she got off of eBay today.She was complaining about how it ran so "slowly." It turns out that the eBay seller had crippled the machine with a bunch of useless apps and Mac Pro-worthy settings. I "tuned it down" for her, and I had SO much fun with it! Which brings me to my point... Do you all have any tips on how to look for an iBook, can point out any good deals or stores. or do you have any experiences with it? I'm looking for one slightly faster than hers, probably a 1.2 or a 1.33 GHz G4-I really like the trackpad on the 1.33GHz. I'm looking at PowerMax www.powermax.com, but I'm pretty much open to any store, as long as their trustworthy, etc. I'm sorry this post is so long. Thanks for looking/replying!
Old May 30, 2009, 10:26 PM   #2
SkyBell
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveiMacs View Post
This is my first thread!

Anyways, I've been a Mac user for 2 1/2 years. I'm really fascinated by the Mac, and I've converted just about every member of my household. My brother's girlfriend (one of my "victims") showed me her 800 MHz iBook G3 that she got off of eBay today.She was complaining about how it ran so "slowly." It turns out that the eBay seller had crippled the machine with a bunch of useless apps and Mac Pro-worthy settings. I "tuned it down" for her, and I had SO much fun with it! Which brings me to my point... Do you all have any tips on how to look for an iBook, can point out any good deals or stores. or do you have any experiences with it? I'm looking for one slightly faster than hers, probably a 1.2 or a 1.33 GHz G4-I really like the trackpad on the 1.33GHz. I'm looking at PowerMax www.powermax.com, but I'm pretty much open to any store, as long as their trustworthy, etc. I'm sorry this post is so long. Thanks for looking/replying!
I bought my the iBook listed in my signature off of eBay, and that's generally where you'll find the best deals. A bit of a risk is involved there of course, just make sure the seller gives a decent warranty (30 days or more.) I've heard very good things about PowerMax, but I'd avoid them just because of their insanely high prices.

iBooks are great machines for light to medium usage. (As in, they'll run some of the heavy apps, but not very well.) If you just need a lightweight machine for internet, chatting, photos and music, an iBook G4 (maybe even a higher end G3) will excel.
Blueberry iBook G3, Apple IIc
SkyBell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 10:54 PM   #3
iLoveiMacs
macrumors member

Thanks, cassie. Do you know if they handle Office 2004 or even 2008 well?
Old May 30, 2009, 10:57 PM   #4
SkyBell
macrumors 603

Quote:
Thanks, cassie. Do you know if they handle Office 2004 or even 2008 well?
I can tell you they run 2004 very well. But I have not tried 2008 on mine. I'd imagine it might be a tad slower, but not unusable. That's just a guess, though.
Blueberry iBook G3, Apple IIc
SkyBell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 11:16 PM   #5
DesignerOnMac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
This is my first thread!

PowerMax is a good company. I have traded my old macs for new and received good trade-in values and they have done some discounting as well, or given me free shipping. I would recommend PowerMax.com to you.
DesignerOnMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 11:24 PM   #6
Mr_Brightside_@
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
I can tell you they run 2004 very well. But I have not tried 2008 on mine. I'd imagine it might be a tad slower, but not unusable. That's just a guess, though.
Mine handles 2004 flawlessly, and though I've not used 2008, it also works extremely well with iPhoto 6, iMovie 5, Adobe CS3 (like, the Suite) and FCE 3.5. Just FYI.
Sigh, it seems like Cassie and I are a rare breed...
Old May 30, 2009, 11:31 PM   #7
Vader
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Vader
I do summer updates on computers for my old high-school, and I can tell you that the G4 iBook can run leopard and do office '08, but it is not the best use of the machine. 10.4 is a great for a G4 Book. Office '08 takes an inordinate amount of time to launch, but once it is open, it is very usable. I would suggest '04 for sure on an iBook. And if you can, get 1 Gb of ram in it, upping to that from 512 is a world of difference if you plan on running more than one app at a time, like listen to music, instant messaging, and web browsing.
Vader is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 12:14 AM   #8
iLoveiMacs
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerOnMac View Post
PowerMax is a good company. I have traded my old macs for new and received good trade-in values and they have done some discounting as well, or given me free shipping. I would recommend PowerMax.com to you.
Thanks for the recommendation. i have actually shopped at PowerMax several times-i like their service. The only problem (like Cassie pointed out) is the high prices, especially on used Macs.
Old May 31, 2009, 12:43 AM   #9
BBC B 32k
macrumors 6502

hiya, I am typing this on my ibook g4 1gig running Leopard. Good machine from new but struggles with Flash so much that many sites are unusable.
BBC B 32k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 12:47 AM   #10
fun173
macrumors Demi-God

lol, ibooks are fun, powermax seems way too overpriced try craigslist or ebay

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs