Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old May 7, 2004, 08:19 AM   #1
kerpow
macrumors 6502

Recommend a DVD Burner

Hi, I'm planning on getting a Powerbook a little later this year but need to buy an external DVD burner now to back up all my data from my PC before I cast it aside. I like the idea of having an external drive so that when I have the Mac I can copy CD's and DVD's. It will also make the cost of the Powerbook a little cheaper without the super-drive.

So ideally I need a USB 2.0 and Firewire connection, 4x DVD/12x CD-R and obviously be compatible with both Windows and OS X. Can anyone recommend one for around $150? Had a look on some hardware sites eg. Tigerdirect but they don't specify whether the devices listed are Mac compatible.
kerpow is offline   0
Old May 7, 2004, 08:34 AM   #2
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerpow
Hi, I'm planning on getting a Powerbook a little later this year but need to buy an external DVD burner now to back up all my data from my PC before I cast it aside. I like the idea of having an external drive so that when I have the Mac I can copy CD's and DVD's. It will also make the cost of the Powerbook a little cheaper without the super-drive.

So ideally I need a USB 2.0 and Firewire connection, 4x DVD/12x CD-R and obviously be compatible with both Windows and OS X. Can anyone recommend one for around $150? Had a look on some hardware sites eg. Tigerdirect but they don't specify whether the devices listed are Mac compatible.
How about this? It burns both -R and +R at 8x, it burns CD-Rs at 40x, it's compatible with both PC and Mac, and it's only $120. It lacks a USB connection, though (FireWire only).
<edit> Wait, I found something better - Mac + PC compatible, FireWire & USB, 8x write to DVD-R and DVD+R, 16x8x32 CD speed, $219.

Last edited by wrldwzrd89; May 7, 2004 at 08:40 AM.
wrldwzrd89 is offline   0
Old May 7, 2004, 09:11 AM   #3
kerpow
macrumors 6502

Thanks, thats a good side. That first one would have been good but for the lack of USB support (my POS PC isn't even USB 2.0)

The LaCie drive looks good but is a little pricey. I guess LaCie is a premium brand. Looks like Iomega is fairly Mac friendly aswell.
kerpow is offline   0
Old Jul 29, 2004, 09:55 PM   #4
timsq
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to timsq
Lightbulb External DVD +/- R(/W) Firewire (that works)

Put together a Pioneer 107 IDE drive into a CompUSA generic 5.25" firewire/USB2 enclosure. This drive works sooo well. It's 10x better than the internal "Superdrive" that came with my iMac TFT. Haven't tried it with "i"-apps yet, but I've read that "patchburn" can enable that. Works perfectly with Toast 6 Titanium. Using Verbatim 4x DVD-R media, burned 4GB of data in 13min. Not bad. Use to take 80min. ~$150

MacBook Pro 2.3 i7 15" :: iPhone5 64 at&t :: iPad3 3G 64
The thing is.
timsq is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers