Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattyK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Hey guys, I got cinema 4d today and I'm completely new to it, after 3 tutorials I created this. Tell me what you think!

EDIT: I'm only 15, my brother who is an architect gave me his legit copy of it so I can learn to use it.

desktopizy.jpg

DAY 2: Created a 3d image from a vector file, I like this better than my first. Not too advanced but the I'm happy with it.
duffbeer.png
from this
brand.gif

EmperorDarius

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
Well, it looks like a screenshot from a good Play Station 1 game, but you're new after all. The main problem is the ground, it's too 2D.

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
For a first attempt its not too bad.

You've still got to learn about texture/bump mapping and lighting etc but you will learn them as you go along and learn more.

3D rendering isn't the easiest thing to learn about straight away :)

MattyK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
thanks for the feedback, i know the floor is bad because i just used preset textures, and i'm not to sure about how to go about making the grass look more realistic. I'm really keen to learn so if any of you know any good tutorials for beginners could you please direct me to some.

Shunnabunich

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Grass in particular is a difficult thing to get right in any 3D package without either using some kind of modified fur effect, or modeling the grass blades yourself and duplicating/instancing/whatevering them to fill up the scene, so don't feel too bad about that. :)

The Duff logo treatment looks very nice, although I noticed the individual elements seem to be spaced differently than in the 2D original (i.e. the white rectangle is covering up the "point" of the darker red portion of the background, the word "BEER" is higher up from the bottom).

In the first pic, I noticed the top bit of the streetlamp appears to be solid glass; when you're comfortable enough to be making your own models, it'll help to simply follow reality's example as closely as necessary – in this case, what you'd want to do is model the inside surface of the glass cover as well as the outside, so it appears to be the hollow shell it is instead of a solid blob (then you can put a light bulb inside it, etc.). I assume, though, that because this was your first render you were making use of stock objects. As for the textures, I also noticed that the grouting (or whatever it's called) in between the stones looks like it's sticking up past the stones themselves, judging by the shadows, so you'd probably want to just invert the bump map there.

Anyway, you're off to a good start! Keep on keepin' on! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.