Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
I bought a 32Gb 2nd gen. week they were available. Even though everything else worked as advertised, I noticed my battery just not lasting as long as it used to. Coast to coast flights were getting low battery warning playing Solitare and music only which never happened before. The touch also got fairly light usage since I primarily used it for travel only.

After testing found my eight month old battery was only holding around 62-66% of its original capacity. This equates to 20-24 Hrs. music playback w. wi-fi off. Took it to geni-ass #1 and he said it was working great. I should be happy I'm getting those numbers after eight months.:rolleyes: Took it home, retested it and it certainly IMO wasn't what I expected from a $400 piece of hardware.

Made an appt. at another Apple Store and geni-ass #2 tried giving me the same bull. I asked him how it was tested and he said continually playing the album I loaded after restoring to factory settings was getting just under 24hrs. I then asked him if wi-fi was on or off. "Off of course" was his reply. I then asked him if he looked at Apple's claim for battery music playback. I was on hold for a good five minutes and was then told to come on in and they would replace it. He didn't want to revisit the battery claims in the least.

I also have a Nano manufactured about the same time and its battery was only getting 12 hours of playback vs. 24 claimed. It too was replaced at 6 months. I'm wondering how many early adopters of last newest Gen. iPods have this battery anomaly or am I just lucky? If the battery was user replaceable it wouldn't be a biggie but I surely don't expect to pay $80 bucks to have a battery replaced in under two years. Oh BTW, the replacement unit gets 42hrs. of music playback with wi-fi on.

Wishsong

macrumors regular
May 13, 2009
Sweet. Awesome you got it replaced, I actually think all ipods have that crappy battery life. So at least now I know once mine starts getting down, I can replace it. Is there a link to the battery claims?

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005

Attachments

• screen-capture-6.png
    screen-capture-6.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 110

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I can get about 20 hours of playback out of my iPod touch if I disable WiFi and play from the dock port oppose to the headphone jack.

I also have a 1st Gen iPod, so that makes it 91% rated (20/22). And this thing was bought more than a year ago.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
I can get about 20 hours of playback out of my iPod touch if I disable WiFi and play from the dock port oppose to the headphone jack.

I also have a 1st Gen iPod, so that makes it 91% rated (20/22). And this thing was bought more than a year ago.

That's what I would expect. I'm not sure why I'm two for two on Apples newest iPod batteries? Coincidence?
I know my last gen. chubby Nano still gets 20-22 hours and it's got to be close to two years old.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
An update:

Travelled last week and played my solitare while listening to music during the flight. The battery indicator barely budged over 3+ hours. Continued to use it for another two days doing the same on and off without it needing a recharge. In short, I wasn't crazy and the battery in the new unit does indeed last nearly twice as long as my returned touch.

All those with Gen. 2's should be checking your battery usage before that magical end of warranty period is up.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
My first gen that I got 2 months after it came out, still has great battery life. It lasts all day.

That's what I understand from others, too. Apple changed battery technology from gen. 1 to 2 and supposedly increased life but my experience has shown that it was great at first but degrades quicker - much quicker.

pilotrtc

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
This might be too little too late but...
http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipods.html

Basically, run your iPod battery through a charge cycle once a month. Of course, if it's lost some of its charge already, this might be moot but Apple recommends draining the battery and leaving it drained for 5 hours once a month to keep that battery conditioned.

niblum10

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2007
This thread intrigued me. I've been wondering how my battery is holding up but never thought I'd get the time to test how long it can last just playing music. I use my iPod touch every day for at least a few hours, recharging it every three days or so. I've had it for about 8 months and monday i finally decided to give this a go. Boy, was I surprised. Music playback lasted about 41 hours! I can't believe that constant use has had so little an impact on the battery life or how long the battery must have lasted when I first got it.

Testing conditions:
chose an average length album (formatted in iTunes Plus), put it on infinite repeat, had the volume down low or all the way down because I had it with me at work, and tried to check it about every hour. Had wifi off and only did the "slide to unlock" once or twice. didn't use any other apps.

I had been thinking lately that since the time to fully recharge the iPod has been constantly getting shorter and shorter that my battery life was dwindling, but apparently this isn't the case. The only flaw I can see in my testing could be that I had the volume low, but that wouldn't affect playback time, would it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.