Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jun 1, 2009, 02:14 AM   #1
Mr Content
macrumors newbie

G5 running an Apple LED display

Hi Guys, new to here, new to Mac's.
I have a Power Mac Quad 2.5. late 2005 I would like to get a LED display. The new Apple LED , I am told it wont run on my Power Mac. Is it as simple as putting in another video card........currently have a NVIDIA 6600, but I cannot confirm that. I pulled the video card out, but could not find a model number on it anywhere.
What about third party cards, adapter etc.
Thanks in advance

Mr C
Mr Content is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 02:16 AM   #2
grue
macrumors 65816

For now, it cannot be done.

If some company decides they want to bother making an adapterů well, you'd better hope they do
Old Jun 1, 2009, 02:22 AM   #3
Mr Content
macrumors newbie

wow that was super quick- not the answer i was looking for though lol. Thanks so much.
Cheers
Mr C
Mr Content is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 09:44 AM   #4
macuser154
macrumors 6502

Well, as you probably know, you need a card, or an adapter (if anyone actually bothers to make one) that has the Mini-Displayport connector.

The new cards for the Mac Pro have Mini-DP connectors on them, so I guess you could see if one of those cards would work with your G5. I doubt it will work though. I think the cards need EFI to work. I don't know much about this so hopefully someone could expand on what I have said.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 09:45 AM   #5
Tallest Skil
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser154 View Post
The new cards for the Mac Pro have Mini-DP connectors on them, so I guess you could see if one of those cards would work with your G5. I doubt it will work though.
I'll give you an answer right now: they CAN'T work.
Tallest Skil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:09 AM   #6
Spanky Deluxe
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Content View Post
Hi Guys, new to here, new to Mac's.
I have a Power Mac Quad 2.5. late 2005 I would like to get a LED display. The new Apple LED , I am told it wont run on my Power Mac. Is it as simple as putting in another video card........currently have a NVIDIA 6600, but I cannot confirm that. I pulled the video card out, but could not find a model number on it anywhere.
What about third party cards, adapter etc.
Thanks in advance

Mr C
My advice would be to get rid of the G5 fairly pronto. It looks highly likely that PowerPC's going to drop in price big time if Snow Leopard does indeed turn out to be Intel only. Sure a computer isn't worthless if it can't run the newest iteration of an OS but if Snow Leopard is Intel only then chances are third party software will rapidly start to be Intel only too. Having a quick glance on eBay, it looks like G5 quads are going for ~$1000. If you need the quad cores then a Mac Pro (any model) and an Apple 4870 card will let you run a 24" Apple LED display. Alternatively, if you don't need four cores then you could get a new 2.26GHz Mac Mini, put in 4GB of RAM third party and a 7200rpm 500gb drive all for under $1000. That would be faster in anything that can't use more than two cores.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs