Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
I figure they want to get rid of stock through this student promotion so they probably won't update the aluminum ones until ~September, right? Should I buy one now or wait until August? My 1.83 Ghz WhiteBook is getting older haha. Thanks!!

apeacock

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2008
I would wait until WWDC - it's only a few days away, just in case updates are done then.

Skydiver32

macrumors member
May 15, 2009
Why would you not wait? It's a week!
Sure, IF there is an update it won't be earth shattering, but its going to be a better computer than it is today.

It's like going to the store to buy milk. You have 2 bottles side by side, one bottle expires in 2 days and the other in 1 week. If you buy today they will both be good to use today and tomorrow, but the fresher one will last you longer, and probably taste a little better.
However, if you need milk now and they only have the one that expires in 2 days...

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
If anything, just a spec bump. My point is that WWDC is in a whole 7 days - unless the OP needs his macbook that urgently, why risk not getting the higher specs?

Because WWDC is a developer conference, has nothing to do with laptops, and there are no chips to which they can bump.

The next update will be Clarksfield (if they can beat the heat) or Arrandale.

apeacock

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2008
Because WWDC is a developer conference, has nothing to do with laptops, and there are no chips to which they can bump.

On the other hand, the macbooks are approaching average time for a cycle update, and there are chips available - it could be as small as 2.13/2.53 GHz (Intel chips P7450 and P8700, rather than the current P7350 and P7600). No one is claiming there are going to be any major changes, but why risk it over 7 days?

Skydiver32

macrumors member
May 15, 2009
Tell me what they would change.

Did you expect them to update the White book?
Did you expect to be done when it was done?

This is all a big guess game, and no matter how many posts a person has in this forum or how certain they sound it still a guess game.

If anybody claims absolutes here, they are full of p**p. The only thing we have to go by is to look at what was done in the past to make a more educated GUESS.

P.s Tallest skil, this was not directed specifically at you

Petoz

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
UK
Wait as long as you want to wait. If you can wait until the next update (who knows when it will be, but there will be one this year) then why not wait. Your new macbook will be slightly better that it is now. If you have a 1.83 whitebook, I presume it is still perfectly ok? On the other hand, if you are fed up with it, or just really want to change, wait until WWDC then buy.

It totally depends on how long you are willing to wait. Either way, enjoy when you get it.

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
Since they just gave the plastic white Macbook better specs than the Aluminum one, which costs $300 more than the white one, I would assume an update is right around the corner.

But like everyone else here, I am just guessing. I just happen to think its a very good guess. Almost hypothesis like.:D

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
This is all a big guess game, and no matter how many posts a person has in this forum or how certain they sound it still a guess game.

Whoever claimed the opposite.

I concur with the first poster - If the current specs do you, get it now and enjoy. Who cares if or if not they'll get a spec bump if the current specs suit your needs already?

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
As always, the rule of thumb is simple: wait until you can stand it no longer, then buy. ;)

Last time I did that I bought my vaio a week before the model got a complete case revision that I didn't know about, and I wasn't able to return it for a new model. I was fuming :p But I love it anyway.
Nowadays I don't fret anymore, I just enjoy what I have.

iomatic

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2004
New MBs after processor announcements approx. when?

I'm trying to figure out how long between Intel processor releases and Apple's upgrades. At one point we knew to some extent (roughly) with PPC processors, but now we know with some certainty (yes?) how Intel releases processors and time between the an upgrade to the line is. The question is how long, and when can we expect the next cycle of upgrades?

Clearly, I'm shopping, but I'm in no hurry. If I buy now, and we're talking a few months, I'm OK with that. But if we hold out a few weeks, I wouldn't mind a bump.

Thanks.

Portal83

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009
I'm in the same boat and really confused...

Normally, I'd figure no updates (even just small speed bumps) until after the back-to-school promo is over. But after the update to the white Macbook, I'm really not sure and can't imagine why they'd leave the cheaper computer with better specs than the aluminum for long.

I need my new Macbook for the start of September and if they don't give speed bumps to the aluminum soon, I'll just get the white Macbook instead. I'm assuming that they won't update the aluminums until after the promo if they don't do it soon (WWDC).

In the speed bump rumour originating from 9to5mac, they sounded like they're really confident in their source, but I know I've read rumours that fell flat on their face in the past. How reliable has 9to5mac been in the past?

KeeeeenW

macrumors member
May 19, 2009
Well man, let me tell you...

last year Augest, I guess there will be no big update on Macbook, so I bought it...

I am planning to buy 466, and I'm also really dilemma right now,I hope I can wait until WWDC over.(Although I think there is no way that Macbook will be updated a higher graphic card again which is what I want)

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Tell me what they would change.
CPU speed bump and updated GPUs. Plus likely small RAM/HDD adjustments.

There is no heat problem with Clarksfield, the two lower models are 35 W and the highest-end model is 35 W or may be 45 W. I'm fairly sure that 10 W needs to be subtracted from those values to give Penryn TDP equivalents.

dvrmstrng

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2006
I'm in the same exact boat..I think my parents just snagged me a 2.4 for college grad...should I bring it up and ask them to wait or just go for it?

MrM

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
California
I'm in the same exact boat..I think my parents just snagged me a 2.4 for college grad...should I bring it up and ask them to wait or just go for it?

It's a gift. I wouldn't say anything if they already bought it.

I wish I could get a $1600 gift.. haha

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
You should wait because then you can tell us all how much snappier the 2.53ghz is compared to the 2.4ghz :)

dvrmstrng

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2006
You should wait because then you can tell us all how much snappier the 2.53ghz is compared to the 2.4ghz :)

I'm guessing that's sarcasm and I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth..but if the money is better spent in a week I'd let them know...let me know what you guys think

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.