Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lnester

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Texas
So, we have a lot of mpg (short video clips) taken on a Sony camera and downloaded to our Macbook. We have always been able to view the video by double clicking in iPhoto. Until a month or so ago.

Now the mpg shows 0.00 of run time and when you double click, there's no content there. You can hit "play" but there's no video there.

Did we lose the content some how? Please help!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
You could look into the original file via Users > YOU > Pictures > iPhoto > iPhoto Library.
Right click on that big library (should be in the gigabytes if you have thousands of photos) and select Show Package Contents and browse through the Originals folder to the folder, where the MPG should reside. iPhoto sorts it per date, so you might easily find it, when you know the date, when the MPEG was shot.

If it is still empty there, then the video might have been not properly transferred or even not properly saved onto the flash disk during capture.

iphotoshot1.png

iphotoshot2.png

lnester

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Texas
Thanks for the info!

I went into Originals, and a few of the mpg's have video, while most do not. I don't understand, since they were all taken with the same camera, and downloaded in the exact same way.

There's got to be something awry with the Mac software...

Any other suggestions?

tmania

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2009
I have the same iphoto playback problem. Found the original and could play it.

You could look into the original file via Users > YOU > Pictures > iPhoto > iPhoto Library.
Right click on that big library (should be in the gigabytes if you have thousands of photos) and select Show Package Contents and browse through the Originals folder to the folder, where the MPG should reside. iPhoto sorts it per date, so you might easily find it, when you know the date, when the MPEG was shot.

If it is still empty there, then the video might have been not properly transferred or even not properly saved onto the flash disk during capture.

iphotoshot1.png

iphotoshot2.png

Hi,
I tried what you said and found the source files. When I double click on them, they do play in Quicktime. I also went back to some video files that I know would play from iTunes before and now they don't play either.
YOu seem to know a lot about this. Do you have any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.