It was working last night. Now it says backup failed everytime

whats going on?

ive tried permisions, ejecting, restart, etc

any ideas?
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 08:19 PM   #2
freesonwang
macrumors member

This has happened to me too. It has happened when I installed Microsoft Office 2008, and when I updated Java. I think what happens is the installer messes up permissions or something, and Time Machine encounters something it can't copy. Either way, the way to fix it is to basically exclude the files that are giving you problems from being backed up.

After getting a Time Machine backup error, use Terminal and type in

cat /var/log/system.log

and you should see stuff like "Error 32 : /folder/file.blah could not be backed up", then just exclude that folder.

This is just a "cover up" fix, obviously, if someone could really fix this that would be great.
freesonwang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 08:25 PM   #3
redwarrior
macrumors 603

Time machine can be very temperamental. I have had a problem every time I take my MBP out of range and the scheduled backup starts and fails. Every time it tries to back up after that, I will get an error.

Solution (for me, and hopefully for you too): Go into Time Machine Preferences, select Change Disk, reselect the volume that is used for your backups. There have been times that I had to just go through the whole Set Up Time Capsule procedure, but not nearly as frequently.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 09:12 PM   #4
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by freesonwang View Post
This has happened to me too. It has happened when I installed Microsoft Office 2008, and when I updated Java. I think what happens is the installer messes up permissions or something, and Time Machine encounters something it can't copy. Either way, the way to fix it is to basically exclude the files that are giving you problems from being backed up.

cat /var/log/system.log

and you should see stuff like "Error 32 : /folder/file.blah could not be backed up", then just exclude that folder.

This is just a "cover up" fix, obviously, if someone could really fix this that would be great.
this is what i see. any idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwarrior View Post
Time machine can be very temperamental. I have had a problem every time I take my MBP out of range and the scheduled backup starts and fails. Every time it tries to back up after that, I will get an error.

Solution (for me, and hopefully for you too): Go into Time Machine Preferences, select Change Disk, reselect the volume that is used for your backups. There have been times that I had to just go through the whole Set Up Time Capsule procedure, but not nearly as frequently.

Hope this helps.
thanks, sadly it doesnt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_01.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	173763  
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:20 PM   #5
redwarrior
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post

thanks, sadly it doesnt
Wow, hopefully someone around here will be able to help you.

Dumb question... have you googled it? (WWW, not MR)
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:43 PM   #6
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Wow, hopefully someone around here will be able to help you.

Dumb question... have you googled it? (WWW, not MR)
yea i have or tried to lol

i did notice this though

i took a hdd out (have 3 in my tower) and when i take a hdd out, that is when it no longer will backup to time machine

when i put it back in, it backs up. any idea?

the hdd i remove is not the primarty or time machine drive
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:17 PM   #7
redwarrior
macrumors 603

Quote:
yea i have or tried to lol

i did notice this though

i took a hdd out (have 3 in my tower) and when i take a hdd out, that is when it no longer will backup to time machine

when i put it back in, it backs up. any idea?

the hdd i remove is not the primarty or time machine drive
TM is probably picky about the configuration and doesn't like it when it expects 3 and gets 2. I'm sure I'm over-simplifying things here, and um, I haven't a clue what I'm talking about. Good luck.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:19 PM   #8
uberamd
macrumors 68030

Again, not to over simplify things but you aren't taking out the drive that has the time machine files on it are you?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:19 PM   #9
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

Repair your hard drive. I had this happen to me more and more as my HDD was beginning to fail.

I'm not trying to scare you, just saying what I went through. And the drive never actually failed, I just got so tired of some weird crap going on that I went and had the thing replaced.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:22 PM   #10
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberamd View Post
Again, not to over simplify things but you aren't taking out the drive that has the time machine files on it are you?
nope my drives are

1: 500 gig primary
2: 1.5TB time machine drive
3: 80 gig laptop drive

I have tm backing 1 up to 2. the drive I took out is 3 and once i took it out, TM fails backup. when i put it back in, TM works again

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeSlack12 View Post
Repair your hard drive. I had this happen to me more and more as my HDD was beginning to fail.

I'm not trying to scare you, just saying what I went through. And the drive never actually failed, I just got so tired of some weird crap going on that I went and had the thing replaced.
Ill try it though the TM drive is like a month old
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:33 PM   #11
uberamd
macrumors 68030

Quote:
nope my drives are

1: 500 gig primary
2: 1.5TB time machine drive
3: 80 gig laptop drive

I have tm backing 1 up to 2. the drive I took out is 3 and once i took it out, TM fails backup. when i put it back in, TM works again

Usually when a drive fails, it will fail early. To me that doesn't sound like the issue though. Can you confirm the 80GB drive was not being backed up to the 1.5TB drive?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:37 PM   #12
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberamd View Post
Usually when a drive fails, it will fail early. To me that doesn't sound like the issue though. Can you confirm the 80GB drive was not being backed up to the 1.5TB drive?
yes, i had excluded that drive in my TM settings

im just really confused about this
Old Jun 3, 2009, 02:48 AM   #13
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

Quote:
Oh, I was referring to the drive that was being backed up, not the TM drive.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 09:45 AM   #14
r0k
macrumors 68040

I don't know if this thread is the right spot or I should start a new thread for this but...

TM tries to back up things it shouldn't touch. I spent a few quality hours on the phone with Apple level 2 support last night. At one point, they suggested unmounting all my network drives because TM would try to back them up. Are you kidding? So perhaps the drive you think is excluded is not fully excluded. Look in system.log (in system profile, double click to get it in its own console window). Look for errors that occur after a TM backup starts. If any of those errors deal with /Volumes/whateveryourdriveis, then you know that somehow there are some files included from the drive you removed.

In my situation, I have had to delete the sparsebundle and start from scratch twice now. The first time it was allegedly due to my system sleeping while backing up wirelessly. Ok. I use a cable and I disabled sleep. Recently, I needed my one and only gigabyte cable for another machine so I turned wifi back on and guess what? TM backup volume corruption problems again. I'm waiting to hear from Apple engineering to see if they found any clues in the half dozen logs I sent them during last night's 6 hour ordeal. I can only hope a firmware update and a TM update come out soon to eliminate even the possibility of sparsebundle corruption when backing up over the network.

In your situation, deleting your old sparsebundle or starting a new one might be a solution. There may be files in your backup set that came from the 80 gig drive and try as you might, you may never get TM to stop looking for them.

At this point, TM is looking and behaving like beta software. I'm at the latest firmware on my TC and latest software on my Macbook. I would expect to be able to get back to summer 2008 when I purchased my Time Capsule. I'm 2 sparsebundle deletions away from that capability and the least I can say at this point is that Time Machine does not work as advertised. When the TM user interface implies the ability to go back in time to any hour in the past day, any day in the past week and any month in the past year, being stuck with this morning as my oldest backup makes me feel like Im being been lied to. My experience with TM is the most M$-like thing I've experienced on a Mac. From insufferable long delays getting control of the process to random breakdowns that don't relate to any action on my part. Apple needs to get their Time Machine/Time Capsule act together or M$ will be able to start running those freeze commercials too. The only up side in all of this is the timely, professional tech support I received from Apple. Still, broken software is broken software.

If TM doesn't start working for me soon, I'm going to have to shut it off and go to a more traditional backup solution. I might consider freeware or shareware Super Duper or the even more expensive Retrospect software. I've gotta get this done and get it done once and for all.
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:51 AM   #15
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

If you have this issue, there is a fix for it. I found it with a quick Google search, as I was having this issue myself. What you need to do is delete the .inProgress file created by Time Machine on your backup drive. Initiate a backup manually, and it should start working again.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:40 PM   #16
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89 View Post
If you have this issue, there is a fix for it. I found it with a quick Google search, as I was having this issue myself. What you need to do is delete the .inProgress file created by Time Machine on your backup drive. Initiate a backup manually, and it should start working again.
that didnt work
Old Jun 3, 2009, 11:06 PM   #17
dukebound85
macrumors P6

wow someone shoot me in the face....

you know why TM wasn't backing up? because i am a dumbass

i excluded my primary drive to back up so there was NOTHING to back up

arent i a smart one

just like when i took apart my car door and bought a new window motor because my window stopped working in my car......only to find out i had pressed the lock window button in my car so of course the window wouldnt work with the switch

lol
Old Jun 3, 2009, 11:10 PM   #18
redwarrior
macrumors 603

Very big of you to post the resolution. Good for you!
Old Jun 3, 2009, 11:13 PM   #19
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Very big of you to post the resolution. Good for you!
i will say i love when these types of situations happens to me lol
Old Jul 16, 2009, 03:34 AM   #20
Word Warrior
macrumors member

This problem still exists!

I have, as they say, done all of the above. I erased my backup drive External WD Book 1TB and waited all night for it to start afresh. Came in this morning to find the same error and no backups of my system. I've deleted as many prefs as I dare and more than I care to mention. latest log is
Quote:
Starting standard backup
Backing up to: /Volumes/My Book/Backups.backupdb
Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: Macintosh HD
Backup content size: 298.2 GB excluded items size: 252 KB for volume Macintosh HD
No pre-backup thinning needed: 358.53 GB requested (including padding), 929.83 GB available
CoreEndianFlipData: error -4940 returned for rsrc type FREF (id 128, length 7, native = no)
Copied 6196 files (2.5 GB) from volume Macintosh HD.
Backup canceled.
but I cancelled it because I could see this in the log
Quote:
Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: Macintosh HD
For the record all this seemed to come about after Safari update last week to v4.0.2 Coincidence ?? Maybe but.....

I have repaired my HD (nothing to repair) and fixed permissions and still no joy.
I am now just a few steps away from
  1. tossing the iMac out of the window
  2. doing a clean re-install
But I fear neither will do any good. Does anyone have a solution to this?
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:13 AM   #21
Fishrrman
macrumors 601

RE: Time Machine: Backup Failed

RE:
"Does anyone have a solution to this?"

Yes.

1. Turn OFF Time Machine.
2. Get ahold of SuperDuper
3. Use SuperDuper to erase your backup drive and create a new clone of your internal drive on the backup.
4. Do a daily "incremental backup" to the external (again, with SuperDuper)

Your backup problems will be solved. AND, you will have something that Time Machine cannot give you - a fully bootable backup of your internal drive. You can now boot from the backup and run maintenence or recovery on the internal if the need arises. You CAN'T do that with a TM "backup".

In 22 years of Mac'ing, one truth I've discovered: one needs a fully-bootable SECOND drive in addition to one's primary drive. It makes EVERYthing easier.

Apple would have done much better by buying SuperDuper outright, and including it with every Mac sold, rather than Time Machine. As of late, I seem to be reading an increasing number of postings stating that either:
1. They can't restore from a TM backup, or,
2. TM seems to be corrupting the drives it uses, or other problems simply maintaining a TM backup drive.

Time Machine is clunky at best, and an unreliable backup solution at worst.

SuperDuper _works_.

- John
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:17 AM   #22
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

^ While I do use SuperDuper myself for backups, Time Machine is totally different.

Time Machine allows you to go back to different points in a files life and get it back from that point. SuperDuper only lets you go back to the last version you backed up. Some people don't want that.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 06:03 AM   #23
Word Warrior
macrumors member

Not a solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrrman View Post
RE:
"Does anyone have a solution to this?"

Yes.

1. Turn OFF Time Machine.
2. Get ahold of SuperDuper
3. Use SuperDuper to erase your backup drive and create a new clone of your internal drive on the backup.
4. Do a daily "incremental backup" to the external (again, with SuperDuper)

Your backup problems will be solved. AND, you will have something that Time Machine cannot give you - a fully bootable backup of your internal drive. You can now boot from the backup and run maintenence or recovery on the internal if the need arises. You CAN'T do that with a TM "backup".

In 22 years of Mac'ing, one truth I've discovered: one needs a fully-bootable SECOND drive in addition to one's primary drive. It makes EVERYthing easier.

Apple would have done much better by buying SuperDuper outright, and including it with every Mac sold, rather than Time Machine. As of late, I seem to be reading an increasing number of postings stating that either:
1. They can't restore from a TM backup, or,
2. TM seems to be corrupting the drives it uses, or other problems simply maintaining a TM backup drive.

Time Machine is clunky at best, and an unreliable backup solution at worst.

SuperDuper _works_.

- John
I could go get Super duper but that doesn't address the current problem which is underlying. Up to now I have had Safari 4.0.2 hang which freezes the computer, dock won't pop up nothing else will open, even force quit is sluggish until Safari has relinquished grip. Activity monitor doesn't show anything grabbing too much processor use.

I have checked and repaired permissions etc in Disk utility. I have even opened in terminal and done an fsck -fy command no faults found.

Latest tack is to purchase Tech Tools Pro 5 which is currently laboriously working it's way through my system having booted from the disk. (I'm on my laptop that still has Tiger at the moment) given the expense I hope it comes up with a solution. Next step if that doesn't work is to reinstall Leopard and start again.
So Fishrrman, thanks for your input but it's not really a solution now is it?
Old Dec 7, 2010, 04:42 AM   #24
toastosx
macrumors newbie

Time Machine failed fix

This worked for me after this kept happening:
Terminal typed: cat /var/log/system.log
I saw a folder source that was from work, not home.
Turns out i had to allow permissions manually by GET iNFO on that source folder on that volume.
Bang.... it worked... i am more concerned how 2 of me showed up in the sharing section at the bottom where u change it.
Hope that helps someone else.
toastosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:42 AM   #25
FreddyMax
macrumors newbie

Thanks, Time Machine Backup failures solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by freesonwang View Post

cat /var/log/system.log

I used the above terminal command and it told me what files were causing the failure, I deleted/excepted the file and zoom, the backup finally completed. Thanks much, I repeatedly kept repairing my iMac harddrive, my backup drive, reformatted the backups and still no dice, before I did this. Now no problem!!
FreddyMax is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X