Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mathieuheartmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Twin Cities, MN
Does anyone know how much (if at all) the prices drop on refurbs after updates?

I want to buy a refurbished iPod classic. I was eyeing the silver 80gb, until it went away this week. Last night an 80gb black was available, but now it is gone. I am wondering, if I see an 80gb silver come back this week or weekend, should I grab it- or wait for next week when the prices on the refurbs might drop?

Right now the 80gb (when available) is $169. The 120gb is $209. I am trying to get an idea of how much I could save, and if it would even be worth it. I really don't need the 120gb, but if next week it dropped and was close to the price of the 80gb, I'd obvioulsy rather have the 120gb...
If refurb prices only drop by a small amount, I don't think it is worth waiting. Except..I have no idea how the prices have dropped in the past.

Any ideas or advice is much appreciated!

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Does anyone know how much (if at all) the prices drop on refurbs after updates?

I want to buy a refurbished iPod classic. I was eyeing the silver 80gb, until it went away this week. Last night an 80gb black was available, but now it is gone. I am wondering, if I see an 80gb silver come back this week or weekend, should I grab it- or wait for next week when the prices on the refurbs might drop?

Right now the 80gb (when available) is $169. The 120gb is $209. I am trying to get an idea of how much I could save, and if it would even be worth it. I really don't need the 120gb, but if next week it dropped and was close to the price of the 80gb, I'd obvioulsy rather have the 120gb...
If refurb prices only drop by a small amount, I don't think it is worth waiting. Except..I have no idea how the prices have dropped in the past.

Any ideas or advice is much appreciated!

iPods won't be updated at WWDC - they're always saved until their own event in September. Plus the 80GB is already an old model, as it was replaced by the 120GB - I doubt you'll find the price of the refurbs to go down much more.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I think you're safe. The normal time for iPod updates isn't until September, right after the free iPod promotion ends and right when the Christmas shopping season begins. I would (and did) purchase one as soon as it is available in the refurb store.

EDIT: Not living upto my name again...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.