Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jun 3, 2009, 12:16 PM   #1
BikerJim
macrumors newbie

PowerBook "Ti"- Install New HD

Good morning,
I bought a new 320gb HD to put in my PB G4 "ti" and a new external case to drop the old 60mb HD into when all is said and done.
What would happen if I put the new 320mb HD into the external case, connected it to the PB then dragged and dropped the old 60mb HD onto the 320mb HD to copy it.
Then swapped out the drives. Would the PB start up from the new 320mb HD?
I know that there are other ways of doing this, and I've tried a few, but having problems with the normal and conventional ways!
My OS 10.4 install disk is damaged. And for some reason SuperDuper hangs up in cloning the 60 HD to the 320 HD.
Thanks in advance for any help, Jim ;o)
Old Jun 3, 2009, 01:26 PM   #2
rowsdower
macrumors 6502

Caveat: I haven't actually tried much of any of this.

I think you will have trouble dragging and dropping to copy an entire disk. I don't think Finder will let you drop one disk directly onto another. I think you would have to copy the files from the old to the new, and since hidden files are not shown, you would miss a lot of important stuff. Even if you got all the files, the permissions would probably be wrong. It might work if you fixed that. However, it seems like more trouble than it is worth.

Have you tried the Disk Utility restore function? I think it does what you want.

If that doesn't work, consider reinstalling on your new drive and using the Migration Assistant to copy your files and settings. I'm pretty sure the Leopard Migration Assistant can copy the files from another disk on the same computer but I don't know about earlier versions.
rowsdower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 01:34 PM   #3
apunkrockmonk
macrumors 6502a

You can also try Carbon Copy Cloner, same deal as super duper, maybe it won't hang on you though.
MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz|8GB|256GB SSD|10.10
apunkrockmonk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 01:39 PM   #4
BikerJim
macrumors newbie

I did a very quick look at the Disk Utilities restore thing. I will do a little more reading regarding your suggestion, the restore function. As of now it looks like it just might just work!(?)
I'll let the thread know about the outcome.
Thanks 'rowsdower'!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs