Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wakh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2009
I am a very basic user of my Mac; I had a problem with iphoto recently, but with some help from this forum, I was able to solve almost all of it.

Now, next question- how do I save email photos to iphoto? I have only imported photos from cameras or memory sticks. There is a Save dragdown on the email and then it asks mere where to save it to. Now, I am so ignorant(or lazy, probably), I don't even have folders or anything; just have photos by date and some in Rolls, of which I know not how I did that LOL.

So, I pick the choice to save to iphoto Library, but then I see the attachment name and it is 'grayed out' when I see it listed in the list of where I supposedly saved it to, so I can't highlight to view it there; I went there to look for them, because they are not showing up in my big page of all the thumbnails. When I go to Finder and click "Pictures" and then I think next I click on the iphoto library folder (I may have to go back and check exactly what I did and make another post to clarify), the pics are there. by themselves. 'outside of the Library Folder. I then tried to 'Save' from the email and chose 'Originals', but the same thing happens; they do not go in a folder. I hope you can understand my explanation.

Essentially, how to I save a photo from an email so it will show up in my iPhoto's screenful of small thumbnails??? Thanks!

OK I went back to see what I truied: USing the 'Save' on the email, I tried to save into
iPhoto Library
Originals
The Latest Film Roll I have

They do not show up anywhere except if I go look for them in 'Pictures'. and then they are not inside the folder I thought I saved them to

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
What version of Mail do you have? In Mail 3.5 with Leopard, in an email with a picture attachment, if I click on the triangle next to the word Save in the gray button, an option to Add to iPhoto appears. This should cause the iPhoto application to launch if its not already open and create a new roll with the image.

Attachments

• save to iPhoto.png
    save to iPhoto.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 2,940

Wakh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2009
Oh, I use comcast.net for email. The dropdown does not look the same as the one you are showing me.

Does this mean I can't do this unless I use the Mac mail program?

When I click 'Save' I get a menu box that looks kind of like what I get when I click Finder. From there I can choose, Pictures, iPhoto Library, Desktop, Applications, etc.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
There is a Save dragdown on the email and then it asks mere where to save it to.
Try clicking on the Save button in Mail and holding the click longer than normal. There's usually a "Save to iPhoto" option that pops up, but only when you hold the click longer.

If not, then the best thing to do is to save them to your desktop, and from your desktop you can drag them to the iPhoto icon on your dock.

You really should never have to go directly into the iPhoto Library folder/file to do anything!

Wakh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2009
Try clicking on the Save button in Mail and holding the click longer than normal. There's usually a "Save to iPhoto" option that pops up, but only when you hold the click longer.

If not, then the best thing to do is to save them to your desktop, and from your desktop you can drag them to the iPhoto icon on your dock.

You really should never have to go directly into the iPhoto Library folder/file to do anything!

-Thanks I'll try that - yes it has been pointed that out to me (regarding the iPhoto File itself)when I had the iPhoto problem (BTW JediM, I solved it pretty much, said 100 photos could not be imported or rebuilt or something, but a lot of them were modified, I still had the originals, others, well, I don't know what they were, I have so many. Guess I won't miss them LOL) I think I fixed it with the Library Manager program.

Wakh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2009
Well, Hot Da^&, that worked! There were 3 different emails with pics, why did it save it in iPhoto each email pics were made a different Roll?

Ah well, I'm happy I got them there.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Cool. You should be able to combine the rolls ... like you said, yay for getting them over there. I think in later versions of iPhoto, it puts them all in one "event". (Rolls go away after iPhoto 06) :)

Cheeseliz

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009
Along the same lines ....

Obviously, I'm new to Mac to - had it all of three days and still learning as I go. I have received several emails from family with photos in them. Using my Mac's email, I can save them, but they go automatically to my downloads folder. I then want to move them into a photo file I have on a networked server, it won't. I have no problems just copying over other items that have manually downloaded onto this server, so I don't think the server thing is the issue. However, the photos I saved from the emails won't let me copy them to the server. It asks me for my Mac password, then gives the following message:

"One or more items can’t be copied to “Family Photos” because you don’t have permission to read them. Do you want to copy the items you are allowed to read?"

It doesn't matter how I answer that question, nothing happens. What gives?

Also, is there a better way to set up downloads, such that it will ask me where I want to save an item each time I try to save/ download?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.