Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jun 3, 2009, 03:31 PM   #1
digitalpencil
macrumors 6502

iBook G4 - Replace Barrel Connector with Magsafe?

Does anyone know if the internal connector on a Barrel DC-in board and a Magsafe DC in-board is the same connector?

I realize this seems like an inane question but my sister (due to her complete ineptitude) keeps snapping the cables and connectors on her iBook G4 so rather than get her *another* adapter, i'm thinking of just filling the hole closed, sawing out a magsafe connector and replacing the DC in-board.
It probably seems like a daft idea but after the 5th adapter and second DC-in, i've realized she isn't going to learn to stop stepping on cables, bending pins, crushing barrels, straining molded connections etc. etc.

This just seems like a more long-term solution..
Old Jun 3, 2009, 03:44 PM   #2
rowsdower
macrumors 6502

I don't know about the iBook, but I once accidentally ordered the earlier model DC-in board for my PowerBook and it was enough different physically that it didn't quite fit in its place. The PowerBook has both DC-in and sound on the same board. If that is the case in the iBook you may have driver issues since there may not be PPC drivers for whatever sound card is on those boards.
rowsdower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 04:04 PM   #3
NewMacbookPlz
macrumors 68040

Probably not going to work.

Poke around ifixit.com, there you might be able to find some shots of the Logic boards, and see how different the areas are.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 05:22 PM   #4
core2duo
macrumors member

Connectors are totally different, and may carry different voltages as well. Probably not a good idea.
core2duo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 12:40 AM   #5
otterpop
macrumors member

since my wife broke her ibook last night, i have been considering trying to manufacture a barrel insert that would essentially be the male end of the barrel type connector, leading to a magsafe terminal w/ of course, the proper resistors in order to tone down the power. How easy could this be acheived? not sure yet. Ideally, it would stick out no more than 1/2 an inch from the side of the ibook.

If apple wanted, they could crank the part out without an issue, i'm sure. But they won't, because they want us to throw away our ibooks and buy new macbooks.
otterpop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 01:08 AM   #6
NewMacbookPlz
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterpop View Post
since my wife broke her ibook last night, i have been considering trying to manufacture a barrel insert that would essentially be the male end of the barrel type connector, leading to a magsafe terminal w/ of course, the proper resistors in order to tone down the power. How easy could this be acheived? not sure yet. Ideally, it would stick out no more than 1/2 an inch from the side of the ibook.

If apple wanted, they could crank the part out without an issue, i'm sure. But they won't, because they want us to throw away our ibooks and buy new macbooks.
Apple won't custom make a low volume, near-rigged part for a small fraction of the population in order to FORCE upgrading...

I don't think so.

In your case, it'll be cheaper/easier just to buy a replacement power adapter, even used (iFixit) or a 3rd party brand.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 10:37 AM   #7
lostime
macrumors regular

as long as the voltages are the same or close and you are comfortable with a soldering iron this wouldn't be that hard. Either that or you could come up with some sort of an adapter to go from the round connector to the magsafe connector. Either way it could be done.

Or you could go home-made.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Thin...-for-Thinkpad/

Check out instructables.com and hackaday.com for ideas.
lostime is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs