Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Jun 3, 2009, 04:50 PM   #1
SRossi
macrumors regular

What to do next ...

I've just finished reading Aaron Hillegass Cocoa Programming, and I have created a smallish word processor for a college project. What should I look at doing next? Is there any books that anyone can recommend or what?

Thanks

Stephen
30 GB iPod video;
SRossi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 07:28 PM   #2
jpyc7
macrumors 6502

I think your question is too open-ended. Maybe if you told us some goal you'd like to reach, we could help.

For example, are you planning on using programming to solve particular types of problems (e.g. as a physicist), or do you want to become a general computer programmer (i.e. get a job doing programming), or do you want to prepare for a computer class like Compilers that you'll be taking next term?
jpyc7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 07:44 PM   #3
isharan
macrumors member

This book?
isharan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2009, 03:41 AM   #4
SRossi
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpyc7 View Post
For example, are you planning on using programming to solve particular types of problems (e.g. as a physicist), or do you want to become a general computer programmer (i.e. get a job doing programming), or do you want to prepare for a computer class like Compilers that you'll be taking next term?
Ok sorry didn't mean for it to be too open, I looking to develop skills as I am in becoming a computer programmer.

Its just I feel that Hillegass book is basic when you start to learn some things and im looking for a more advanced book.

Hope this help. Thanks

Stephen
30 GB iPod video;
Old Jun 4, 2009, 06:09 AM   #5
SRossi
macrumors regular

I've had a look on Amazon and I've saw the book Xcode 3 Unleashed :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321552636/ref=dp_also-recommended_2?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books

Would this be a good follow on book to Aarons?

Thanks

Stephen
30 GB iPod video;
Old Jun 4, 2009, 09:26 AM   #6
jpyc7
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRossi View Post
Ok sorry didn't mean for it to be too open, I looking to develop skills as I am in becoming a computer programmer.

Its just I feel that Hillegass book is basic when you start to learn some things and im looking for a more advanced book.

Hope this help. Thanks

Stephen
Sorry if I came across as being critical, I was just trying to elicit more context.

This recent thread was about life in the industry.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=705761
It might not really be what you're asking, but it has some advice/info.

I'm not sure what sort of study program you are in, but assuming your college/university has computer science classes and professors I think you should have access to advisors who can suggest a set of courses. (In the US, college and university are used pretty much interchangeably if you are trying to get a 4-year degree called Bachelor's. I get the impression that might not be true in Europe.)

Anyway, if you've done the equivalent of an Intro to Programming class by using the Hillegass book, I think the next step in CS would be to study data structures and algorithms. In my opinion, the book I used in college (Algorithms in C by Robert Sedgewick) is not particularly easy to use by oneself. In my experience, however, this area of study is often used in technical interviews when trying to get a programmer job.

I don't have any experience with either of the two books mentioned in this thread, but I think either would be good for continuing Macintosh programming. So if you have a project idea you want to do for yourself, I think the XCode Unleashed would be helpful for organizing your code and understanding the lifecycle concepts for a larger program. The other book is probably good for more advanced functionality, but I suspect you won't have any good guidelines on when to use those system capabilities like pipes, sockets, signals, threads, etc.
jpyc7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2009, 11:41 AM   #7
SRossi
macrumors regular

Thanks man I have now purchased Xcode Unleashed

Well I am just about to head to university to do a Software Technicians degree but this is more windows based and I was hoping to learn more of cocoa and objective-c by myself.

Thanks though

Stephen
30 GB iPod video;

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming