Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SRossi

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
I've just finished reading Aaron Hillegass Cocoa Programming, and I have created a smallish word processor for a college project. What should I look at doing next? Is there any books that anyone can recommend or what?

Thanks

Stephen

jpyc7

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I think your question is too open-ended. Maybe if you told us some goal you'd like to reach, we could help.

For example, are you planning on using programming to solve particular types of problems (e.g. as a physicist), or do you want to become a general computer programmer (i.e. get a job doing programming), or do you want to prepare for a computer class like Compilers that you'll be taking next term?

SRossi

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
For example, are you planning on using programming to solve particular types of problems (e.g. as a physicist), or do you want to become a general computer programmer (i.e. get a job doing programming), or do you want to prepare for a computer class like Compilers that you'll be taking next term?

Ok sorry didn't mean for it to be too open, I looking to develop skills as I am in becoming a computer programmer.

Its just I feel that Hillegass book is basic when you start to learn some things and im looking for a more advanced book.

Hope this help. Thanks

Stephen

jpyc7

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Ok sorry didn't mean for it to be too open, I looking to develop skills as I am in becoming a computer programmer.

Its just I feel that Hillegass book is basic when you start to learn some things and im looking for a more advanced book.

Hope this help. Thanks

Stephen

Sorry if I came across as being critical, I was just trying to elicit more context.

This recent thread was about life in the industry.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/705761/
It might not really be what you're asking, but it has some advice/info.

I'm not sure what sort of study program you are in, but assuming your college/university has computer science classes and professors I think you should have access to advisors who can suggest a set of courses. (In the US, college and university are used pretty much interchangeably if you are trying to get a 4-year degree called Bachelor's. I get the impression that might not be true in Europe.)

Anyway, if you've done the equivalent of an Intro to Programming class by using the Hillegass book, I think the next step in CS would be to study data structures and algorithms. In my opinion, the book I used in college (Algorithms in C by Robert Sedgewick) is not particularly easy to use by oneself. In my experience, however, this area of study is often used in technical interviews when trying to get a programmer job.

I don't have any experience with either of the two books mentioned in this thread, but I think either would be good for continuing Macintosh programming. So if you have a project idea you want to do for yourself, I think the XCode Unleashed would be helpful for organizing your code and understanding the lifecycle concepts for a larger program. The other book is probably good for more advanced functionality, but I suspect you won't have any good guidelines on when to use those system capabilities like pipes, sockets, signals, threads, etc.

SRossi

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
Thanks man I have now purchased Xcode Unleashed :)

Well I am just about to head to university to do a Software Technicians degree but this is more windows based and I was hoping to learn more of cocoa and objective-c by myself.

Thanks though

Stephen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.