Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msbsound

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Charlotte, NC
So this just started about a week ago.

Anytime I insert a CD into my powerbook(G4Ti 1gig w/superdrive, OS10.3.3), it does not show up on the desktop or in the finder. If it is audio, I can launch Itunes and see it, or if it's a DVD, the dvd player auto launches. Every once and a while a new CD will appear upon insertion, but right now it seems like 90% of the time I can not see it.

Now the other odd thing is that this happens with firewire drives too. Most notably my Ipod. The Itunes rule applies here as well, but not all the time. Sometimes, I can do nothing to see it, and must log out/log in to get it to appear. My other firewire drive never shows up at all anymore in any app or in the finder. I have tried reformating it on another mac that did see it.

I have tried all these drives and CD's on other machines and they work just fine.

any ideas?

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Sounds like the problem might need a hardcore diagnosis...

So if the advice you receive here doesn't work, post your question over at thetechpub, and include basically everything you said so far.

Now, one thing I recommend first: Search through the Applecare knowledge base for the latest firmware for your Powerbook. If it needs updating, then update the firmware.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Make sure you have CDs, DVDs, and iPods checked in the Show these items on the desktop: part of the Finder Preferences. (command comma)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.