Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Jun 4, 2009, 03:04 PM   #1
hitman45400
macrumors regular

Ameture questions on Pro Tools/Logic

So, i have been looking into more recording, but found out my method wouldn't work, and would sound like junk, which was hook up the MBOX to my comp and then to my sound board, but would that give me control of each track, or do i need a big freaking 8-12 channel interface to be able to control each mic? this isn't an issue for guitars and vocals..but drums are the hard part..
Old Jun 5, 2009, 12:35 AM   #2
pkoch1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman45400 View Post
So, i have been looking into more recording, but found out my method wouldn't work, and would sound like junk, which was hook up the MBOX to my comp and then to my sound board, but would that give me control of each track, or do i need a big freaking 8-12 channel interface to be able to control each mic? this isn't an issue for guitars and vocals..but drums are the hard part..
To get control over each track for, say, drums, you would need an interface that supports as many microphones as you are using on the drums. So a very basic drum setup (kick, snare, OHs) would need an interface with at least 4 inputs (i.e. NOT the MBox, but a 003, or something similar for PT) I

I think you're talking about mixing the drums in an analog mixer after you go through the MBox. That wouldn't work because the MBox has to be the final stage before the computer. The mics plug in, analog is converted to digital, and it goes through the firewire or usb cable into the computer.

If you're using Logic, there are some inexpensive interfaces by Presonus or Alesis that will give you the individual inputs for a fraction of the price of the 003.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 09:46 AM   #3
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
What exactly are you recording? Sounds like a full band. It would be best to start smaller, gain experience then add channels. If you like Pro Tools then you need one their hardware interfaces. Logic can work with almost any interface

For your purposes you will want some kind a firewire audio interface. USB is not going to work well for 8-12 channels.

Cabling is simple: You have 8+ mics, each goes to a mic cable the runs straight into the firewire audio interface and then the interface connects to the computer with a Firewire cable. Studio monitor and/or headphone connect to the interface too.

You can add to that basic setup if you like. The sky s pretty much the limit
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 12:19 PM   #4
hitman45400
macrumors regular

Any sort of variety of music, primary will be the band i'm starting here soon which will be a deathcore/hardcore band.

And on the interface, are the volume input controls or is that done through pro tools/logic?

And do you use logic to master the tracks?
Old Jun 5, 2009, 04:04 PM   #5
churchrd
macrumors member

Quote:

And on the interface, are the volume input controls or is that done through pro tools/logic?

And do you use logic to master the tracks?
The input controls would be on the interface.

Mastering is a totally different ballgame. But i suppose you could use Logic to master tracks.
churchrd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2009, 12:14 AM   #6
hitman45400
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchrd View Post
The input controls would be on the interface.

Mastering is a totally different ballgame. But i suppose you could use Logic to master tracks.
Man, i have a lot to learn...

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio