Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jun 5, 2009, 12:41 AM   #1
Geoff Myers
macrumors member

Free Memory Disappears Mysteriously (Activity Monitor Doesn't Show!)

Okay, I've just finished doing an Archive & Install of Mac OS X Leopard to fix this issue, but it did not get fixed.

The problem: I have 4 GB memory (should be plenty for what I do). Yet, when I have virtually nothing running, a large amount of memory is being used. When I see what's happening in Activity Monitor, the sum for the column called "Real Memory" does NOT add up to the total "Used Memory" shown in the bottom left of the window... The column sum is significantly LESS than the total used memory. It's like there's some invisible process not even Activity Monitor shows that is hogging RAM. This problem seems to be constant; it's not intermittent.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what the column "Real Memory" means, but shouldn't the total for that column add to the total used memory?

I have attached a screenshot that demonstrates this problem. Not shown: I have "All Processes" selected under "Show."

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

System Specs: MacBook Pro 15" Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HD, Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.7
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	68
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	174148  

Last edited by Geoff Myers; Jun 5, 2009 at 01:04 AM.
Geoff Myers is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help