Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Versus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
I tend to ramble when I try to explain things I don't understand even to people that do. I'll try to be a succinct as possible here without boring you.

-I do not have a wireless router at my house.

-The port on my laptop that connects to the cable modem is fried and will no longer recognize an internet connection.

-I cannot/will not install iTunes on my work PC.

-My family live too far away to use their PC's.

-My friends either have ancient PC's powered by hamster wheels or too busy to be bothered.

I'm an idiot that didn't do his research concerning the possibilty of a new iPhone and bought a 3G last week. I plan on returning it within the 30 day window, I just want to see if I even like this kind of phone before I go through all the trouble or returning, buying a new one in a few weeks/months, finding out I don't like it, then returning it again. In order to get a proper feel for it, I think I should experience some aspects of the device other than browsing the internet and using the calculator.

I can't do anything as it stands as I never even registered an iTunes account.

My question is this. Is it possible for me to synch up with iTunes any other way, simply to upload some personal songs from my laptop or to purchase a few apps from the store through the phone itself?

I can DL iTunes onto a flash drive from work and bring the file home to install on my laptop. DLing is okay from this PC, installing is not. Is that even possible or do I need internet to complete the installation process. I'm assuming I do.

Could I go to an Apple store/Starbucks/Panera Bread or similar hotspot with my laptop and do all of this or would you not suggest such a place to start entering credit card info?

Any help you can give here would be great. I'd like to return the phone by Monday regardless of any announcements made at WWDC. That should give a few days to see if this phone is really something I want/need in the first place.

Hmmm, I guess I kinda rambled anyway, huh?

Thanks.

AiralynRose

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Pretty sure you're going to have to be connected to the internet to install it if you've already tried from the flash drive and it doesn't work. (I've never really installed iTunes more than once, since it comes on Mac anyways... nor have I ever been without internet when trying to install it.)

Going somewhere local with wifi is probably your best option. Try to choose somewhere that isn't too busy and doesn't have too many people with their laptops out. Set up your iTunes account using the credit card you'd be least concerned with if someone stole your info. Also, make sure you use a credit card and not a debit card because if someone does get ahold of your info, then you can easily cancel it and have all charges reversed.

P.s. what do you even do with a laptop without internet?

Versus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
Thanks you for the suggestions.

P.s. what do you even do with a laptop without internet?

Not a whole heck of a lot it would seem. ;)

Cost of a USB to Ethernet Adapter dongle $19.99

Seem like easier solutions no?

Cheers.

-J.-

Nothing is simple when you're clueless. I didn't realize those options were so affordable. I'll most likely be upgrading my PC within the next few weeks as well, just not before my iPhone's return period. I just wanted to get in a few days with app store to see what I was dealing with. I'll look into it. Thanks you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.