Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jun 5, 2009, 01:06 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

CBS Outdoor to Allow iPhone Users to Interact With Digital Advertising Signs

Campaign reports (via Engadget) that CBS Outdoor, the outdoor advertising arm of CBS, is launching a new advertising platform that will allow iPhone users to interact with and manipulate digital advertising signage. The platform will be launched on LCD advertising screens such as those commonly seen in malls and other shopping centers.
Quote:
By swiping in either direction on the iPhone's touchscreen, users can make the object in the digital poster spin to the left or right, and users can also make the display change colour.

Also by using the "pinch" and "stretch" finger gestures on the iPhone, consumers will be able to zoom in or out of the object displayed on the screen.
Users will be able to connect to the digital signage via Wi-Fi or 3G and then interact with the displayed images.

Article Link: CBS Outdoor to Allow iPhone Users to Interact With Digital Advertising Signs
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 01:17 PM   #2
theheadguy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to theheadguy
Now this is cool! Reminds me of Minority Report!
theheadguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 01:46 PM   #3
danielchow
macrumors member

actually, i think this might work.

for example, the advertisement could show off a product and offering the potential buyer a virtual shelf of suggested accessories. the hooked consumer approaches the interactive advertisement with his/her iphone and begins manipulating the different suggested accessories to mix and match with the product. when she/he is quite satisfied with the combination, the interactive advertisement either e-mail or display the stores that are carrying the items. it sure beats roaming about aimlessly trying to find something. i think this could make some spouses happy because they don't have to be drag from one store to another trying to find something to match.

in this example, the advertisement provider can have multiple advertisers for one ad space.

ooo, i should patent this concept!
danielchow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 01:55 PM   #4
JBRU
macrumors newbie

Technology hacked to display pr0n in 5 ... 4 .... 3 ....
JBRU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 02:00 PM   #5
medicrx
macrumors newbie

epic fail
medicrx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 02:14 PM   #6
kingtj
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to kingtj
Totally depends on the implementation ....

If they just go the "mindless" route, and do this for random product ads in the shopping malls, then yeah - it's another "epic fail".

You know where I think it could really work well though? Set this up in the home improvement warehouses and paint stores, so a person can experiment with different shades of paint in sample rooms of a house or office. Let them change trim colors, wall paint colors, and try different paint colors for the ceiling than the wall. Use the iPhone as the remote control for it, but use the big display screen to view the results. Then, let the user save the selected paint types/codes on their iPhone so they can remember exactly what they need when they go to buy the paint, or have it mixed. Even let them save a copy of the sample image(s) of the rooms so they can take them home to show someone else before buying. Beats the whole rack of paint chips on the little cardboard cards by a mile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielchow View Post
actually, i think this might work.

for example, the advertisement could show off a product and offering the potential buyer a virtual shelf of suggested accessories. the hooked consumer approaches the interactive advertisement with his/her iphone and begins manipulating the different suggested accessories to mix and match with the product. when she/he is quite satisfied with the combination, the interactive advertisement either e-mail or display the stores that are carrying the items. it sure beats roaming about aimlessly trying to find something. i think this could make some spouses happy because they don't have to be drag from one store to another trying to find something to match.

in this example, the advertisement provider can have multiple advertisers for one ad space.

ooo, i should patent this concept!
kingtj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 02:29 PM   #7
theheadguy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to theheadguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicrx View Post
epic fail
nice... first time i've seen that on a message board.
theheadguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 02:42 PM   #8
RoboCop001
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheadguy View Post
Quote:
I'm using your own quote to talk to you! Bwahahahahaha!
RoboCop001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 02:43 PM   #9
autrefois
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalArticle
By swiping in either direction on the iPhone's touchscreen, users can make the object in the digital poster spin to the left or right, and users can also make the display change colour.
More importantly, can you turn the ad off?

The technology is great, but I'm very tired of being bombarded by advertising everywhere, especially while shopping: on a TV while you're waiting to pay for your groceries, over the intercom while you're shopping. There are even coupon holders now that talk to you when you walk by. I may sound like a grumpy not-so-old man, but it would be nice to be able to shop in peace sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtj View Post
You know where I think it could really work well though? Set this up in the home improvement warehouses and paint stores, so a person can experiment with different shades of paint in sample rooms of a house or office.
Now that's a useful idea for this type of technology. They could do it for all sorts of things, not just home improvement. Allowing the customer to see different options, different brands, etc. for the type of product they're looking for. Instead of having it be advertising, make it a service: a kind of big catalogue for customers to look at, either set up by the store or by the companies.
autrefois is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 02:44 PM   #10
tropic10
macrumors member

"John Anderton! You could use a Guiness right about now."
tropic10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 03:02 PM   #11
leandromp
macrumors regular

Cool idea. Sometimes your at the mall in a hurry and you see something on this kinds of screens and you wish you could stop and see the product. Now, you can just look at it in your phone. Love the idea.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 03:02 PM   #12
Cartoonkid
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by autrefois View Post
More importantly, can you turn the ad off?

The technology is great, but I'm very tired of being bombarded by advertising everywhere, especially while shopping: on a TV while you're waiting to pay for your groceries, over the intercom while you're shopping. There are even coupon holders now that talk to you when you walk by. I may sound like a grumpy not-so-old man, but it would be nice to be able to shop in peace sometimes.
+1!

Besides, unless they're going to offer iPhone owners better pricing than non-iPhone owners, why would I waste my precious battery life on a stupid advertisement??
Cartoonkid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 03:13 PM   #13
iMacoo7
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to iMacoo7 Send a message via MSN to iMacoo7
This would be awesome.
Only problem would be if there are others flocking to the same screen and trying to manipulate it at once.
Wonder if they will do like picture in picture for the device which would be kind of awesome and allowing up to 4 extra people to manipulate a window all at the same time.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 03:48 PM   #14
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
I want to see a picture of myself and 300 other iPhone owners surrounding one digital advertising sign at the same time..... lol
Old Jun 5, 2009, 03:59 PM   #15
mikeinternet
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to mikeinternet
My bro works for a company that did some sort of game on a billboard in times square. It was for bank of america and it was played using cell phones.

I wish I had more details. I need to ask him about it.
mikeinternet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 04:12 PM   #16
Tilpots
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by autrefois View Post
I may sound like a grumpy not-so-old man, but it would be nice to be able to shop in peace sometimes.
Try shopping on the internet. As for grocery stores, many have call ahead services which let you just pickup the items you've phoned in.

Being able to turn off outdoor signage is kinda point less for the advertiser.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 04:35 PM   #17
Cartoonkid
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpots View Post
Being able to turn off outdoor signage is kinda point less for the advertiser.
True, but if that was an app, imagine how well it would sell!
Cartoonkid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 04:54 PM   #18
JuBe
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFStateStudent View Post
I want to see a picture of myself and 300 other iPhone owners surrounding one digital advertising sign at the same time..... lol
Yeah, I don't understand how this can work if multiple people want to control this? I feel like whatever it is, would just be more easily viewed on the iPhone than on a screen you can walk by on. I feel like the only use would really be to entertain kids with a multiplayer kind of game.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 06:46 PM   #19
Xibalba
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone 4G View Post
well this is useless........................
agree, but in the world of advertising useless still means possible PR when people talk about such interactions and then view the products being advertised...complete advertising stunt...
Xibalba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 06:55 PM   #20
iceman1234
macrumors member

will this type of stuff be exclusive to the iphone? can this be done on an itouch?
iceman1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 08:23 PM   #21
skeep5
macrumors 6502a

would i have to wait in line for my turn to 'interact' with the commercial? I have better things to do!
Old Jun 5, 2009, 10:12 PM   #22
amd4me
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to amd4me
Quote:
Now this is cool! Reminds me of Minority Report!

Me too. Thank god I dont have some random Japanese guys eyes.
amd4me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 11:11 PM   #23
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

"Consume mass quantities."
Bubba Satori is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 11:35 PM   #24
iPhoneNYC
macrumors 6502a

But can I make the girl in the photo turn towards me by using my iPhone?
iPhoneNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2009, 12:02 AM   #25
Doctor Q
Administrator

Westfield shopping centers, eh? I know of few of them, so I'll be watching for this. It'll be a good way to find out who around you has an iPhone!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion