Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jun 7, 2009, 09:04 AM   #1
fabiot
macrumors newbie

Question Connect the macbook air with my electric guitar??

Any1 has an idea on how to connect my macbook air to my electric guitar because i would like to record with my mac but i need your help to do it...
Thanks
fabiot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 09:07 AM   #2
Satori
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabiot View Post
Any1 has an idea on how to connect my macbook air to my electric guitar because i would like to record with my mac but i need your help to do it...
Thanks
Just get hold of a guitar USB A/D interface cable. Google it and you will get loads of options.
Satori is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 09:22 AM   #3
fabiot
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
Just get hold of a guitar USB A/D interface cable. Google it and you will get loads of options.
i am seaching now on ebay and i have found items that are title as "New Guitar to USB Interface Link Cable PC Recording" do u think that it will work well with GarageBand?? Thanks
fabiot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 09:33 AM   #4
Satori
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
i am seaching now on ebay and i have found items that are title as "New Guitar to USB Interface Link Cable PC Recording" do u think that it will work well with GarageBand?? Thanks
I can't be absolutely certain but it should work. You don't usually need drivers for this kind of cable on a mac - in my experience 'they just work'.

Have a look at the garageband manual for details on how to select the audio input and record a guitar track.
Satori is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 10:10 AM   #5
Scottsdale
macrumors 601

When I was in high school, I learned to play the guitar. Unfortunately, I set it down and haven't played for 15 years. Now with tech catching up, I so wish I had continued. Garage Band, connecting instruments to Macs, and just being an artist is so much fun with technology. I cannot imagine being able to record and work on my own music. I may have just taken a completely different career path... life would be so much more fun as a musician... than working as a consultant/lecturer/writer.

I don't personally have any experience for this, but I did find one for my daughter's keyboard a few months ago by searching on Google + "Mac compatibility." Just find one that states it will work with a Mac. I have found Google to be the place to go to find direct information from cable/music component providers. Sorry I cannot provide more help, but my help is to state don't give up on Google. Just keep modifying your search until you find a product page showing the Mac compatibility and system requirements that shows will work with a USB port and Leopard plus Garage Band (your version). Also, make sure you note that you don't have an audio/mic "in" on the MBA, so you need a device that connects to the MBA via a USB cable.

Best wishes, and keep on jamming!
Scottsdale is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 10:57 AM   #6
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Thanks
What you need is a USB audio interface. There must be 100 of these on the market. All different quality levels and features. First decide hw many audio input channels you need. One for guitar, but any others? Maybe vocals with a mic? Also look at the inputs. There are mic line and instrument levels you need one with at least one instrument level input or with an input that is switchable to instrument level.

I asume the plan is to plug the guitar in directly. But there are other ways to go. (1) if you amp has a line level output then you can record that and record some of the "amp sound" too. or (2) mic the speaker cab. Put a mic about 1 foot away from the speaker. The direct input s simple but all you get is a very clean and very bright sound

Shopping for audio interfaces is easy. There are so many. Pick a few then download and read the user manuals to decide which you like. they all wrk with Macs

Take a look at the "Lexicon Alpha" from this list.
http://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_Audio_Interfaces
Fr you needs you should not have to spend over $100
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 11:17 AM   #7
Kaliemon
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Kaliemon
I personally use this when I just want to record my guitar.

http://www.target.com/First-Act-222-.../dp/B001D2GQHU

So far it works plug and play with garageband and only needs some configuration when using it with logic pro(add an audio out to it using apples utility)

Sound quality is excellent and for only $40 it's worth it.
Kaliemon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 11:49 AM   #8
Zanike
macrumors newbie

Don't waste your time with junk

If you want to record and you want it to sound good just visit Sweetwater sound. They actually have people who know what they are talking about. I was a professional musician for several years and help build everything from major studios, tour PAs, to small basement practice studios. They treat their customers great and will talk to you for an extended amount of time to make sure they understand what you want, the choices you have, and what equipment will work best for you.
I myself recommend Firewire because USB is way too slow, however since you are using the air that is basically what you will be able to use. You also only have one usb port so you will need a powered usb hub if you are going to use anything in addition to the usb interface. If you are starting out you might want to go cheap but you will just replace whatever you get with something better once you know more about what you are doing.

You won't regret it.
www.sweetwater.com

No I don't work there either.
cheers
Zainke
Zanike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 04:43 PM   #9
xparaparafreakx
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to xparaparafreakx Send a message via MSN to xparaparafreakx Send a message via Yahoo to xparaparafreakx Send a message via Skype™ to xparaparafreakx
GUITAR RIG 3 Kontrol Edition for interface and pedal.

GUITAR RIG sessions or mobile for interface only.
xparaparafreakx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air