Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Jun 7, 2009, 12:34 PM   #1
Wishsong
macrumors regular

How much memory do these apps take?

I have 60 some odd apps ready for my touch when it comes in the mail, but because it's an 8gb I'm worried about the memory... Is there any way to check how much memory these apps take on itunes?
Wishsong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 01:32 PM   #2
Jeremy1026
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishsong View Post
I have 60 some odd apps ready for my touch when it comes in the mail, but because it's an 8gb I'm worried about the memory... Is there any way to check how much memory these apps take on itunes?
They say how much each app takes when you download them. I'd bet you use maybe 250MB with 60 average apps.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 02:11 PM   #3
iFerd
macrumors 6502a

You can tell exactly how much space your combined applications are taking by looking at the bar at the bottom if the iTunes page for your device when it's connected. If you click the bar, the display will change from percent to number of megabytes. The apps are shown in green.

Sixty apps shouldn't be anything for you to worry about. I have 81, and altogether they take 562 MB.

Last edited by iFerd; Jun 7, 2009 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Refined app count and space taken up by them.
iFerd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 03:30 PM   #4
Jeremy1026
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFerd View Post
You can tell exactly how much space your combined applications are taking by looking at the bar at the bottom if the iTunes page for your device when it's connected. If you click the bar, the display will change from percent to number of megabytes. The apps are shown in green.
Well thats all well and dandy, but since he doesn't have a device to plug in right now, your way to get the size is moot. Another thing he can do to get the exact size is to find the folder that all the apps are stored in and check its size.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 05:36 PM   #5
iFerd
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026 View Post
Well thats all well and dandy, but since he doesn't have a device to plug in right now, your way to get the size is moot. Another thing he can do to get the exact size is to find the folder that all the apps are stored in and check its size.
I missed the fact that he's waiting for his device to arrive. Need to read more carefully.

To assist him in seeing how much space his apps-in-waiting are taking on his hard disk, he should go to Music/iTunes/, then right click on Mobile Applications and Get Info (on a Mac) or Properties (on Windows) to see how many GB the saved applications are holding.

In any case, he is unlikely to have anything to worry about. His apps are going to take less than 500 MB in all likelihood.
iFerd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 05:59 AM   #6
ImNoSuperMan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFerd View Post
In any case, he is unlikely to have anything to worry about. His apps are going to take less than 500 MB in all likelihood.
Unless one of the apps in his iTunes is called the MYST.

BTW just checked mine. 385 Apps, 2.9GB. And no I do not have MYST in there.
ImNoSuperMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 01:10 PM   #7
Fe1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishsong View Post
Someone said about the iPhone/iTouch, that the last thing one does on it, is make calls/listen to songs. That at least, is my case.

For the record, on one 8GB iTouch that I have with 9 pages worth of apps -- about 5 of those pages are games. The data (the yellow line) for the games is about 2GB (!) alone. This includes Myst, incidentally.

After all is said and done, it leaves me with 1.8GB left over. So I reckon you'll be fine.
Fe1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps