Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Music Discussion

Old May 10, 2004, 06:21 PM   #1
whw5
macrumors regular

bass or electric guitar? Which rocks harder?

I am going to start playing either the bass or the electric guitar soon. I am having a very hard time choosing between the two. I love pounding Bass lines however I am concerned that there are not enough cool bass lines out there that would be good to play. I mean is there enough stuff out there to really pound it? I would also be playing jazz with it, and is there any difference between the bass in the orchristra and the electric one. I know that not a lot of people play base, is there a reason for this?
Also me and my friend are interested in starting up a band and would a base be a good thing to have in it. We like punk rock, like the vines, the hives, the darkness, red hot chillie peppers, ect. I also love playing guitar chords a lot however I am more interested in awsome intros and something to totally rock on. ANY help and recomendations, or sharing of experiences would be GREATLY appreciated. I have played trumpet for a while in my school band but I am looking for something more punk.
whw5 is offline   0
Old May 11, 2004, 05:08 PM   #2
chelka-poo
macrumors newbie

BASS!!!!!
well, i'm kinda bias b/c i play it
but to tell you, bass rocks!
not enough people play it (it seems)
definately
guitar is so overdone
^_^
but it's really up to you
and there's nothing i love more than a jazz walking bass-line!
as to the difference between the upright and electric
they have the same notes and same intervals, but the upright is harder
(in my personal opinion)
as to why i play the bass
my dad does it as his job, so ive grown up with it
^_^
hope i could help!
chelka-poo is offline   0
Old May 19, 2004, 02:21 PM   #3
MattG
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelka-poo
BASS!!!!!
well, i'm kinda bias b/c i play it
but to tell you, bass rocks!
not enough people play it (it seems)
definately
guitar is so overdone
^_^
but it's really up to you
and there's nothing i love more than a jazz walking bass-line!
as to the difference between the upright and electric
they have the same notes and same intervals, but the upright is harder
(in my personal opinion)
as to why i play the bass
my dad does it as his job, so ive grown up with it
^_^
hope i could help!
I play guitar, but I would love to buy a bass one day. Nothing rocks harder than a really great bass line...
MattG is offline   0
Old May 25, 2004, 04:56 PM   #4
topherko
macrumors newbie

Bass

I would certainly suggest that you learn to play the bass.

A good bass player is much harder to find than a good guitar player. If you are a good bass player you will have your choice of bands and groups to play with whenever you want. If you need proof, check out your local musicians wanted classifieds and see what people are looking for. There is no question that the demand for a good bass player is enormous.

As for the type of lines you will play - that is up to you. There may not be a ton of great ones out there, but that means there is plenty of room to contribute your own.

btw I play the bass too. I have developed into a semi-decent guitar player over the last couple of years based on my experience/knowledge from playing the bass. So just because you start out with one doesn't mean you can't learn the other too.
topherko is offline   0
Old May 25, 2004, 05:32 PM   #5
WinterMute
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to WinterMute Send a message via MSN to WinterMute
Bass is easy to play, but very, very difficult to play well, all great bands have great drummers and bass players, but not all have great guitarists....

There is nothing on this planet that you can do with your clothes on that beats plugging my Warwick 5-string into my Ampeg SVT3 and hitting the B-string..... That really makes my trousers flap.

Bass rocks, it rocks hard.

Last edited by WinterMute; May 25, 2004 at 05:36 PM.
WinterMute is offline   0
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:46 AM   #6
raythemoneyman
Banned

Want To Make Money In Music?

Do you want to make money in the music business.....Learn to play bass. Of course I mean really play bass. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a guitar player. Good bass players are a different story. Don't be fouled though, the bass is much more difficult to master. Believe me after playing for a couple of weeks your girl will be saying "hey that hurts"!

The bass is the Harley Davidson of the music world. If you don't know what I mean ask your girl friend.

http://www.tucsonbassplayer.blogspot.com

Last edited by raythemoneyman; Aug 14, 2008 at 11:33 PM. Reason: editing
raythemoneyman is offline   0
Old Aug 14, 2008, 06:12 AM   #7
ShaneR
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to ShaneR
I would go with the bass as well...I play guitar and any chance I get to play my friends bass i go for it. Maybe it's just cause I don't play bass 24/7 it seems like so much fun, but I don't know....

Orrrr you could go for both
ShaneR is offline   0
Old Aug 14, 2008, 06:24 AM   #8
benlangdon
macrumors 65832

Send a message via AIM to benlangdon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG View Post
I play guitar, but I would love to buy a bass one day. Nothing rocks harder than a really great bass line...
heck i got a 5 string fender something or other, with custom pickups and something else was done to it.
my dad bought it for me and i played it like 5 times.

truth be told, its really hard to tell what you want to play unless you start playing it. i took like a month of bass lessons and hated it.
i play drums now and utterly love it.

also, it sounds like you might be able to play but if you can't, do not think your going to be able to melt faces or anything.

frankly if i were to choose again on either bass or guitar, i would def go guitar and even though i love playing drums, melting faces on guitar is agg. so is sweeppicking, i utterly love it.

here are some really funny guitar videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hywld...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evTTHS9hwvU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pJ1c...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKMYeXkYcgs
when ever i shred i just kill people, ya, its pretty agg.
and when i power up these two center coils, i enter kill zone mode.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 06:31 AM   #9
Schtumple
macrumors 601

Send a message via Skype™ to Schtumple
Guitar easily rocks harder than a bass, I play both and rarely find myself saying, "god I really want to do a 12 minute bass solo"
Old Aug 14, 2008, 07:06 AM   #10
Scarlet Fever
macrumors 68040

If you want to be known, learn guitar. If you want to be cool, learn bass.

There are some brilliant bass lines out there; have a listen to some Rage Against The Machine or Tool for some examples. RHCP have some pretty awesome bass lines, but they can be painfully complex.

For some good punk bass lines, have a listen to some old AFI stuff, in particular, the albums Answer This And Stay Fashionable and Very Proud Of Ya. Their old bassist was really slippery, putting in bass runs where you wouldn't expect them. Their current bassist, Hunter, used to be brilliant, but I think AFI's change in sound has forced him to hide his talent.

If you wanna hear some mind-twistingly good bass lines, have a listen to some Weather Report, Dream Theater, Yes, Iron Maiden and Victor Wooten.

I've been playing bass for about 5 years now, and I still love it. I wouldn't give it up for any other instrument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtumple View Post
Guitar easily rocks harder than a bass, I play both and rarely find myself saying, "god I really want to do a 12 minute bass solo"
i thought that was a good argument not to learn guitar
Scarlet Fever is offline   0
Old Aug 14, 2008, 07:40 AM   #11
Keebler
macrumors 68030

I was at a Melissa Etheridge concert recently and when she was introducing her bandmates, she said something very interesting:

along the lines of: "...plays our bass and it's the type of instrument that doesn't get alot of shine or hype, but when it's gone, you NOTICE it."

both are great. you've got a hard choice.
Keebler is offline   0
Old Aug 14, 2008, 07:51 AM   #12
kixsand
macrumors regular

The answer is subjective and only you can answer it. Some people really connect with the underlying structure of the song -- the beat or the bass line or both. Others hear the melody of voice or guitar. Which are you? What rocks for you?

Bass players dont get laid nearly as often as guitar players...it has been proven time and time again. See Here.

Consider these two points and make a decision.

:-)

Darren
Eye TV Hybrid
2.4ghz MacBook
kixsand is offline   0
Old Aug 14, 2008, 09:26 AM   #13
Scarlet Fever
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
I was at a Melissa Etheridge concert recently and when she was introducing her bandmates, she said something very interesting:

along the lines of: "...plays our bass and it's the type of instrument that doesn't get alot of shine or hype, but when it's gone, you NOTICE it."
I had a moment like that when I was in a band a few years ago. The guitarist said bassists never had a major role in the sound, so I stopped playing for a song. Afterwards, he was saying that the band's sound was really hollow and empty without me playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixsand View Post
Bass players dont get laid nearly as often as guitar players...it has been proven time and time again. See Here.
its quality that matters, not quantity
Scarlet Fever is offline   0
Old Aug 14, 2008, 04:05 PM   #14
3rdpath
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to 3rdpath
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post

his name is mark browne-he's a monster bassist and a super nice guy. i've hired him for sessions since i don't like to play while producing.

i'd choose bass over guitar any day. when people feel the groove of a song-they're feeling( for the most part...) what the bassist and the drummer do. guitarists need attention-bassists are just cool.

and as far as getting laid goes...if you're in a band and you're not getting any action, sadly it probably has nothing to do with your chosen instrument.
3rdpath is offline   0
Old Aug 14, 2008, 07:37 PM   #15
noodle654
macrumors 68000

Bass...I play both guitar and bass and I have to say bass is the hardest. Its easy to learn, but its hard to master. Nothing is better than a nice smooth bassline...just listen to what Flea, Marcus Miller, and Jaco Pastorious did with the bass!
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:34 PM   #16
raythemoneyman
Banned

Bass and Drums.....

Bass and Drums......everything else is fluff!

raythemoneyman is offline   0
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:36 PM   #17
rdp5008
macrumors regular

I think the bass is taken for granted. The guitar will make you look like a rock star and have panties thrown at you. I like the solid sound of a good bass jam though...
Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:23 AM   #18
benlangdon
macrumors 65832

Send a message via AIM to benlangdon
Quote:
Originally Posted by raythemoneyman View Post
Bass and Drums......everything else is fluff!

guitar and drum, everything else is fluff
since when has there been a band with just a bassist and a drummer.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:53 AM   #19
ZiggyPastorius
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to ZiggyPastorius Send a message via MSN to ZiggyPastorius Send a message via Skype™ to ZiggyPastorius
Well, bass is my instrument and far superior in my opinion...but if your only concern is "rocking hard," then go guitar, as we don't need any more bad bassists thinking they're guitar players.

Quote:
Bass...I play both guitar and bass and I have to say bass is the hardest. Its easy to learn, but its hard to master. Nothing is better than a nice smooth bassline...just listen to what Flea, Marcus Miller, and Jaco Pastorious did with the bass!
Could not have said it better myself, my friend.

Quote:
Why not? Do you not realise how hard it is for a bass player to solo, especially for that long, and have people be impressed? Christ, you can play some Green Day guitar licks and people will be impressed these days..Nobody ever stops to look at some of the amazing things Jaco Pastorius did on the bass. They just see who can play a generic shredding riff on their guitar.

Plus, the argument works both ways. If I had a CD of just Jaco playing his bass lines with no other instruments, every single song he ever wrote/performed...I'd rather listen to that than even a thirty-second guitar solo.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 03:06 AM   #20
erikistired
macrumors 6502

the guitar if you want normal people to notice you.
the bass if you want knowledgeable people to notice you.

honestly i love playing both, but there's just something more fun about the bass that i don't get playing my guitar.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:13 AM   #21
Dmac77
macrumors 68020

Guitar of course! I'm biased though, I play in a band. IMO the guitar gets more interesting parts then the bass, and also I think that its sound is just more noticeable.

Whatever you choose, don't play with distortion turned on when you first start, everybody sounds good with distortion.

Don
Dmac77 is offline   0
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:15 AM   #22
bartelby
macrumors Core

Bass.

Without the low end music tend to be thin.
bartelby is offline   0
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:18 AM   #23
Victor ch
macrumors 6502a

I "play" (starting to) the bass, so yeah, bass rules. IMO it gives the depth and warmth to some music. Both are extremely nice, I like bass the most, others will say the same about the guitar. Its up to you man.

Victor
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:22 AM   #24
Queso
macrumors 603

Neither. Learn to play the keyboard.

Just kidding :p
Queso is offline   0
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:22 AM   #25
mannix87
macrumors 6502

I play both but I'm a little more biased towards bass guitar. its sound is more fundamental and essential to a tune's sound spectrum.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Music Discussion