Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Obi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
I'm a British guy currently living in Germany, I would like to change my IP address to a British IP so i can watch English TV over the internet, as it won't let you unless your in the UK!!! My girlfriend also lives in Germany she uses software called Hide My IP on Windows, with the software she can just pick the location of her IP! The problem is its only a Windows application!!!

Any help will be much apprecaite!!! :)

Thanks!

Obi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
You don't know any british proxy servers do you???

Obi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Thanks for your help!

No luck tho! Still won't let me watch TV!!!

Its saying, to view video content and for an enhanced view of this page, please ensure you have javascript enabled, which i do!!!

Can you help with that?

Obi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
I've tried Firefox, still no luck!!! :confused:

Is the anybody out there that watches English TV aboard?

Please help!

Obi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Hey Queen6!

Thanks so much for the help! I really appreciate it!!!

Just one question how do ya use it? Its saying 7 days unregistered! Do i need a password? How do i get one if so?? Do you have to pay for it???

Thanks again for your help!!!

Rico.

Hey Queen6!

One more question do you watch Channel 4 online? its reconised i've got an English IP!!! But the TV won't load! do ya think i need a new flash player or sumet???

Thanks!

Queen6

macrumors G4
Hey Queen6!

Thanks so much for the help! I really appreciate it!!!

Just one question how do ya use it? Its saying 7 days unregistered! Do i need a password? How do i get one if so?? Do you have to pay for it???

Thanks again for your help!!!

Rico.

If you want to use the faster Netshade proxy you need to pay an annual fee $29 first year,renewals $19, or continue to use free proxies which are slower and after seven days it will quit after 10min, worth the $ if you need a different IP.

Not sure about C4, so far anything needing flash has played ok

Obi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
I've just paid for the Netshade proxy service because im guessing the public proxies are too slow to play the media! Yet now i've paid the only proxy on the Netshade proxy bit is US! Do you know how to change that???

Its well annoying my girlfriend is using a Windows computer, she uses a programme called Hide My IP! It works everytime no messin! Any location & its just a 1 off payment! Its well doin my head in!!! :mad:

Just out of interest to see if i can get it to work, what channels do you watch off the internet???

Thanks again!!!

Billy Boo Bob

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
Dark Side Of The Moon
Its well annoying my girlfriend is using a Windows computer, she uses a programme called Hide My IP! It works everytime no messin! Any location & its just a 1 off payment! Its well doin my head in!!! :mad:

Are you in the right setup to use Internet Sharing off of her PC? It's a PITA to set up sometimes, but once working both computers should show up as her IP.

Obi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Are you in the right setup to use Internet Sharing off of her PC? It's a PITA to set up sometimes, but once working both computers should show up as her IP.

How do i go about that Billy Boo?

@ Peteb its a bit expensive! But thanks for the link!!!

Thanks again for the feedback!!!

pfcreep

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2010
Change IP on OS X 10.6

So then does this mean there is no app to hide or change the ip address on a mac? Im not trying to watch foreign TV or anything else like that. I am strictly asking network security purposes. Keep hackers out etc. I cant believe there would be so many choices for PC and nothing for mac.:confused:

MacUser09

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2009
UK
Try "Googling" : Watching BBC iPlayer from abroad. Or similar.

You should get various hits explaining how to do it.

Oops! Just seen date of OP.

adrian.oconnor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Nottingham, England
So then does this mean there is no app to hide or change the ip address on a mac? Im not trying to watch foreign TV or anything else like that. I am strictly asking network security purposes. Keep hackers out etc. I cant believe there would be so many choices for PC and nothing for mac.:confused:

What you are asking doesn't make sense. Your internet IP address is assigned by your ISP, usually to your router. Your router assigns you a 'private' IP address. You use the Network section of System Preferences to set your IP configuration, and you have exactly the same options as Windows because TPC/IP is a standard protocol.

If you want to do something 'shady', like make yourself 'anonymous' or appear to be from a different country, you should search Google for your exact need. Changing IP address won't make you 'more secure'. It'll make you less secure, if anything, because the kind of sites that appear in search results for shady things tend to be shady themselves.

You don't need to change IP to be secure, you just need to use a good router with a built in firewall (AirPort is excellent), keep your computers up-to-date, and stay away from pirated software and those FREE screensavers/smileys/fish tanks. If you do those three things, you're extremely unlikely to be 'hacked'.

Obi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Hide-My-IP

What you are asking doesn't make sense. Your internet IP address is assigned by your ISP, usually to your router. Your router assigns you a 'private' IP address. You use the Network section of System Preferences to set your IP configuration, and you have exactly the same options as Windows because TPC/IP is a standard protocol.

If you want to do something 'shady', like make yourself 'anonymous' or appear to be from a different country, you should search Google for your exact need. Changing IP address won't make you 'more secure'. It'll make you less secure, if anything, because the kind of sites that appear in search results for shady things tend to be shady themselves.

You don't need to change IP to be secure, you just need to use a good router with a built in firewall (AirPort is excellent), keep your computers up-to-date, and stay away from pirated software and those FREE screensavers/smileys/fish tanks. If you do those three things, you're extremely unlikely to be 'hacked'.

The Hide-My-IP software is now compatible with Mac!!!

Trust me its the best software on the net for hiding your IP, I've been using it on my Windows laptop everyday for 3 years for work!... I've now bought it for my Mac too, It works perfect, + You can choose the location of your IP address!

Try it out: http://www.hide-my-ip.com/

Obi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Have a look at these folks. Very useful for when I want to appear to be in the UK and it's a fiver a month via paypal.

Thanks a lot for British TV link!!!...

Hide My IP does work to watch British TV over internet, but I can only get ITV to work & sometimes it doesn't work cause the IP are too slow, which is really annoying! :confused:

I reckon I'm gonna have to use Expat & pay the 5 euros a month to save my own sanity!!!

Thanks again for this one!

Denarius

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
Gironde, France
Thanks a lot for British TV link!!!...

Hide My IP does work to watch British TV over internet, but I can only get ITV to work & sometimes it doesn't work cause the IP are too slow, which is really annoying! :confused:

I reckon I'm gonna have to use Expat & pay the 5 euros a month to save my own sanity!!!

Thanks again for this one!
A bargain when compared to the TV license...

Incidentally, if you've ever considered getting UK satellite broadcasts in Germany then you might find this interesting.

Obi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
A bargain when compared to the TV license...

Incidentally, if you've ever considered getting UK satellite broadcasts in Germany then you might find this interesting.

Cool so If I get a dish I could up British TV?

Thanks again mate!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.