Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
It's incredible what kids can do....

I don't remember this, but when I was a kid my Dad was away a lot (airforce). My Mum has Anemia, but didn't know it at the time.... She used to pass out after going shopping each day, she always woke up an hour or two later and carried on. She always thought that she was putting the shopping away before passing out, one day she came around early and found me putting the shopping away... the fact that I was putting the shopping away made her realise that she was not "just tired" but ill. I was only three at the time, now I'm a primary teacher and I see kids doing incredible things all the time... such as an eight year old who can handle advanced algebra! Worst thing is she has to learn from books as I have trouble at the level she's working! :eek:

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I think that the mother say it all. He was always a hero in my eyes. He's now just a hero in everyone else's eyes," Tyler's mother told reporters on Monday.

A child is very resilient. In times stress humans can do super human things. The love of a father was paramount over his own life. I pray that Tyler and his father will fully recover. :)

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Is "hard" a British English term? I've never used it that way here in the states, from the context it seems like it might be similar to "tough".

dopefiend

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Krizoitz said:
Is "hard" a British English term? I've never used it that way here in the states, from the context it seems like it might be similar to "tough".

Nope, its american.

Hard = tough

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
Krizoitz said:

How about, Yes, "hard" as in "hard as nails" in the UK means tough.

I have great fun chatting with my Minnesota belle, we sort of understand what we mean, but sometimes there is a moment, like "What?" I guess saying I was hard would put a sexy smile on her face rather than make her feel I was some sort of tough guy!

Any Brits know what a sconce is, because I didn't. And it took me a couple of goes to explain to her what a "strimmer" is -it's called a weed whacker apparently in her part of America.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
dopefiend said:
Nope, its american.

Hard = tough

Not that America isn't huge...but we don't use that on our half of the US :D
There are really only two ways that I've ever heard it used as a way of describing someone. A very uncommon way is when talking about someones incredibly pumped up or "ripped" muscles, i.e. they have a lot of strength. The other more common way is when talking about, uh, ya know.
For instance, around here if you're a male you would never walk up to a woman and say "I'm hard" if you value your life.

So, what part of the US do they use that in?

Tyler
Earendil

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Earendil said:
There are really only two ways that I've ever heard it used as a way of describing someone. A very uncommon way is when talking about someones incredibly pumped up or "ripped" muscles, i.e. they have a lot of strength. The other more common way is when talking about, uh, ya know.
For instance, around here if you're a male you would never walk up to a woman and say "I'm hard" if you value your life.

Tyler
Earendil

So are soft drinks - pop or soda? <g>

Datazoid

macrumors regular
May 10, 2002
Earendil said:

Tyler
Earendil

To be honest, I was afraid to read this thread due to the title...

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
billyboy said:
How about, Yes, "hard" as in "hard as nails" in the UK means tough.

I have great fun chatting with my Minnesota belle, we sort of understand what we mean, but sometimes there is a moment, like "What?" I guess saying I was hard would put a sexy smile on her face rather than make her feel I was some sort of tough guy!

Any Brits know what a sconce is, because I didn't. And it took me a couple of goes to explain to her what a "strimmer" is -it's called a weed whacker apparently in her part of America.

The most common usage of sconce means a bracket for holding a candle or light fixture, do a google search and click on the pictures tab to see some examples.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
dopefiend said:
Nope, its american.

Hard = tough

Where in America is this used. I've never heard it out here on the West Coast, and none of my East Coast friends know of it either. Is it a midwest or a southern thing?

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
dopefiend said:
Nope, its american.

Not to give you one more reply...
This isn't directly in reply to you, but you make a great example here ;)

People that say any particular thing is "American" bugs me. Being from the NorthWest, WA in particular, I'd like to not be associated, or grouped in with the rest of the "americans" if you don't mind ;)
I'm sure a few other US regions feel the same way :D

Tyler

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i've lived in colorado and iowa and i've always heard "hard" referring to a sexual state.

In this case, i would have gone with "tough".

i wondered about it at first too, but once i read the post it was pretty clear in meaning.

paul

hughdogg

macrumors member
Krizoitz said:
Where in America is this used. I've never heard it out here on the West Coast, and none of my East Coast friends know of it either. Is it a midwest or a southern thing?

I think it is a generational thing...original poster is 19ish, and "dopefiend" is our new Daniel Webster. My sense is that if you think a 95 Honda Civic is a classic hot rod, you'd know what "hard" translates to be, while those of us who remember Honda's as what people purchased when gasoline prices broke $.50/gallon in the 70's...no clue!

My translation, "hard" is a shortened version of hardcore, which roughly translates to tough, so the kid is tough. Which he is, and I'm glad he and his Dad appear to be OK.

Cheers,
hughdogg :)

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
Chip NoVaMac said:
So are soft drinks - pop or soda? <g>

in my isolated part of the state (no cable/DSL option!) Both are used equally. In short travels around the US, I've found that Soda is a more acceptable word for it. In my travels outside the US they don't use either ;)

Tyler
Earendil

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
hughdogg said:
I think it is a generational thing...original poster is 19ish, and "dopefiend" is our new Daniel Webster. My sense is that if you think a 95 Honda Civic is a classic hot rod, you'd know what "hard" translates to be, while those of us who remember Honda's as what people purchased when gasoline prices broke $.50/gallon in the 70's...no clue!

My translation, "hard" is a shortened version of hardcore, which roughly translates to tough, so the kid is tough. Which he is, and I'm glad he and his Dad appear to be OK.

Cheers,
hughdogg :)

I'm not Exactly sure what you just said (sorry ;)) but if you are saying that the younger generation thinks it means "tough" you are a bit off as far as this area. I happen to be the exact age you list (19 y.o.) and my opinion on the word is written above. My girlfriend agrees with the use of the word in this area.

Suffice to say, if you come to the NW, and walk up to me and tell me "I'm hard", I will probably look down, look back up at you, and tell you to get the @#$% out of my face and go find someone else to pester with your 4th grade antics :D

Tyler
Earendil

dopefiend

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Southern guy here, just fyi to whomever is wondering.

i've lived in colorado and iowa and i've always heard "hard" referring to a sexual state.

I actually asked my current girl what it meant to here. Damn you perverted folks :p

Now someone pass me a coke..... :D

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
thread going way off topic...

for me as a not-native english speaker ...it was clear that the hard refered to 'tough' (perhaps because the word 'hard' is similiar to the german 'hart' which gets used in the same way as 'though')

thanks to your discussion i guess i will avoid that word when speaking english ;)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
dopefiend said:
Southern guy here, just fyi to whomever is wondering.

I actually asked my current girl what it meant to here. Damn you perverted folks :p

Now someone pass me a coke..... :D

It seems that words have different connotations or meanings according to where you live.

I don't know that I would ever use the phrase, "I'm hard" to anyone. Don't really remember hearing the word used that way growing up either.

Another one that ti found is rubber bands, here in New England the word elastics is used.

When it came to Coke often used it interchangeably for Pepsi. Just whatever the restaurant carried.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.