Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Great write-up.

As an aside, the 4890 also uses less power and runs cooler at idle than the 4870 as well... for the slight price difference, I would think that the 4890 is the way to go at this point if you are going to flash your own card...

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden

Yes. You might need two, depending on how long it is.

The cabling will go like this:

DSC02196.jpg

Great write up! :)

I'm curious, would this work with a Rev. A Mac Pro too?

Im guessing you mean the first model aka 1,1 aka 2006. If so, that is the one I am using. Anyway, this will work on any Mac Pro ever made.

netkas

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
the insruction is good for 4870x2 too, to get one core working in osx.

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
Because those cables come with Apple Cards and this is a PC card.

You can buy them separately on ATI but they are way more expensive.

Sumimasen

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2009
So, there's no way to hook up the GPU to the existing power socket that my (now dead) 8800GT was connected to?

Bit of a shame, as I was planning on buying a BD drive at some point to go in the second bay...

Also, I can't really see what's going on in that wiring pic. Any chance I could be a pain and request something a bit more obvious? :) I do tend to need things spelling out for me...

I'm gonna defo do this upgrade next month. This time I will keep a spare card in case of emergencies though... We live and learn I suppose...

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
So, there's no way to hook up the GPU to the existing power socket that my (now dead) 8800GT was connected to?

You can buy those cables separately on ATI but they are way more expensive.

And 4890 requires two.

Also, I can't really see what's going on in that wiring pic. Any chance I could be a pain and request something a bit more obvious? :) I do tend to need things spelling out for me...

In this?
http://www.krull.se/DSC02196.jpg

Basically I have dragged out the superdrive unit, and first connected one of these

https://www.linuxappliance.net/cata...06f020e43594a9c230972d/m/o/molex_splitter.jpg

To the second part of the Superdrive power cable. Then connected a second one to the first, dragged trough the hole in the lower left. This is simply because they were too short. After doing that I basically had 2x of these female molex coming out next to the PCI slots.

These are then converted by the two Molex>6pin cables (included with graphic card) and connected to the 4890.

Sumimasen

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2009
I guess it will be pretty obvious when I actually get in there and remove the superdrive. :)

Have you noticed any drawbacks with using this card, or do you get full functionality?

My temporary card (ATI HD2600 XT) will hopefully be delivered today. Once I am finally 100% sure that the graphics card was the only reason for my mac failure, I will get one of these ordered.

I was planning on getting the XFX version - would this be ok, or would I need to get the same version as you? The XFX card is cheaper...

Also, there are overclocked versions available too. Would these run ok if I decided to spend a little extra?

Thanks again for all your help with this! I wouldn't know where to start if I had to do this alone. Once again, top thread! :)

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
I guess it will be pretty obvious when I actually get in there and remove the superdrive. :)

Have you noticed any drawbacks with using this card, or do you get full functionality?

My temporary card (ATI HD2600 XT) will hopefully be delivered today. Once I am finally 100% sure that the graphics card was the only reason for my mac failure, I will get one of these ordered.

I was planning on getting the XFX version - would this be ok, or would I need to get the same version as you? The XFX card is cheaper...

Also, there are overclocked versions available too. Would these run ok if I decided to spend a little extra?

Thanks again for all your help with this! I wouldn't know where to start if I had to do this alone. Once again, top thread! :)

I have been using the Radeon HD 4890 in my Mac Pro for the last two months with no major issues. For all intents and purposes it functions just as the Apple supplied Radeon HD 4870, only with twice the framebuffer.

Sumimasen

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2009
Sorry for all the questions - it's just a bit daunting for someone with little experience with stuff like this. (Don't know why - I flashed an old 3DFX Voodoo 3 pc card to use in my old G3 desktop, and that worked like a charm!)

Last one (for now ;)) - Am I right in thinking that I'd need to disable the password login for this to work, as the screen will stay black until after OSX has started up properly?

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Sorry for all the questions - it's just a bit daunting for someone with little experience with stuff like this. (Don't know why - I flashed an old 3DFX Voodoo 3 pc card to use in my old G3 desktop, and that worked like a charm!)

Last one (for now ;)) - Am I right in thinking that I'd need to disable the password login for this to work, as the screen will stay black until after OSX has started up properly?

Firmware password or the login screen?

ThrillSeeker81

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
Hi,

My 8800gt stopped working.
So i bought a Sapphire 4890 mentioned in this thread.

Currently i have no means of booting in to OSX, nor windows as i have no working Mac card in my posession.

Since the card is supposed to work with windows, and i have a bootcamp setup, i thought i would be able to hold the option button, choose my boot disk (even if i do not have any image on screen), and hope to boot windows like this.

but i can only hear a repeating chime sound (it stutters).

so i was wondering if there is any other way for me to boot either windows or osx?

In the weekend i'll head over to a friend, who has a Macpro like mine, and we can swap harddrives so i can patch my osx, and install the necessary drivers in both osx and windows.

btw thx for this thread, and let's hope i can get mine working too.

Cheers,
TS

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
I'm very interested in doing this, as I have only the 7300 nvidia card in my mac pro classic. I too am a bit wary of this. I did a cpu upgrade in my mac pro so it's not like I don't know how to do anything, but i've never flashed a card before. Do I need bootcamp set up for this, or can i do all of this in OSX? I have a parallels XP VM set up, but don't have a bootcamp partition. Any help (encouragement) you could offer would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Sumimasen

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2009
I think the attraction of this card is that it doesn't need to be flashed - you just install some extensions in OSX to bypass the need for an EFI.

With regard to not being able to boot, I think you may need another card handy so you can install the required extensions and be able to actually see what you are doing. Until then you will get a black screen in OSX, and no way to specify windows as a boot disk. well, as far as I know anyway.

I could be wrong.

I just got a cheap ATI HD2600 off eBay so I can get up and running again, and I'll be keeping this card as a spare from now on, just in case I get any other GPU related failures!

I'm quite shocked at the amount of 8800GT's that I have discovered to have failed since I started looking into this. It's getting into Xbox 360 RROD territory!

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
I think the attraction of this card is that it doesn't need to be flashed - you just install some extensions in OSX to bypass the need for an EFI.

With regard to not being able to boot, I think you may need another card handy so you can install the required extensions and be able to actually see what you are doing. Until then you will get a black screen in OSX, and no way to specify windows as a boot disk. well, as far as I know anyway.

I could be wrong.

I just got a cheap ATI HD2600 off eBay so I can get up and running again, and I'll be keeping this card as a spare from now on, just in case I get any other GPU related failures!

I'm quite shocked at the amount of 8800GT's that I have discovered to have failed since I started looking into this. It's getting into Xbox 360 RROD territory!

My current card is working, so I could set up all the extensions, etc. before installing the 4890, is that right?

Sumimasen

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2009
Yeah, in fact you'll NEED to do it with another card in, otherwise you'll have the same problem as the guy above.

This is what I have gathered while researching it anyway. I have yet to do it myself, but will be getting the card very soon.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
Does anyone with knowledge of Snow Leopard's Open CL know if this card will be able to utilize this technology?

And I've heard that the Sapphire Radeon 4890 Vapor-X is a more "pimped out" version of the card. Does this work? Would it be beneficial to me? It's only like $20 more than the regular version on newegg. If i can get more card for only $20, seems worth it.

Amethyst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Yes. You might need two, depending on how long it is.

The cabling will go like this:

DSC02196.jpg

Im guessing you mean the first model aka 1,1 aka 2006. If so, that is the one I am using. Anyway, this will work on any Mac Pro ever made.
can i use this route with mac pro 3,1

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota

I could be wrong.

Do you have any resources that may help me understand how it can be that the EFI can be bypassed? It just doesn't make sense to me at all. I mean is it some kind of emulator, like how with Rosetta you can run PowerPC software on an Intel Mac? If so, is there any kind of lag while using a graphics card with BIOS on a mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.